I'm so tired of

Options
I am so sick and tired of derailing all the hard work I do at the gym with my sweet tooth. It's insane that I have gained a pound in a week despite working out at the gym five days a week. I should be seeing a decrease in weight, not an increase!
Can anyone give tips on how to control my sweet cravings? Anyone else sick and tired of something they do to sabotage themselves? I would love to know.

Replies

• caseyanne2
    caseyanne2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Yasso frozen yogurt bars - my favorite is the toffee caramel chocolate chip. They are only 100 calories and found with the ice cream bars at my regular grocery store (Ralphs). Also, some flavors of Halo icecream are very good. You can eat a whole pint if you want to for around 300 calories.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Consider measuring yourself if the scale is playing games with you.

I don't keep sweets or snacks in the house. When I'm really craving something, I'll haul my butt to the store. By the time you get there, it's no longer a desperate need, so you can slow down and look at the nutrition facts. I usually end up downing a pint of Halo Top, but that's much lower cal than the cake I'd originally wanted.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There are lots of low-sugar low-calorie treats available in grocery stores now. Halo Top icecream, to name one. A whole pint is around 250-300 calories!

I use stevia/erythritol as a sugar substitute as well.

You can make smoothies, mousse, cookies and cheesecake with protein powder too.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are you also counting your calories ... if so just incorporate the sweets into your daily allowance and BAM you will continue to lose weight.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    if you're working out 5 days a week, you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. don't look at the scale so much, but rather how your clothes fit. as for the sweet tooth, good luck with that, it's hard, but easier if you don't have sweet things in the house.

lol...no...gaining muscle is not that easy...it is a process that takes months/years, not weeks. especially difficult for women. and no woman is putting on muscle at a rate that would outpace fat loss..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're working out 5 days a week, you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. don't look at the scale so much, but rather how your clothes fit. as for the sweet tooth, good luck with that, it's hard, but easier if you don't have sweet things in the house.

No....
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream fanatic. I LOVE my ice cream. I have found a good alternative though in 3/4 cup Vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 TBL of Natural PB (no added anything) and a few Dark chocolate chips. This is my go to snack when craving something sweet. I allow myself some ice cream once a week as my treat. I gain weight like that from meals all the time. It takes days or even weeks to get it back :(
  • weighmeless
    weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am not a sweet tooth person but when I do get craving once in a while I go crazy over icecream. But again it's one time. Now that I am sticking to calorie deficit by end of the day, if at all I develop sweet tooth I pop 2-3 pitted dates from Costco and craving is taken care off ! Infact it's too sweet for me! Sweeter than icecream

3 dates is about/around 60 calories - give or take a couple more depending on size.
  • njlondres
    njlondres Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As a a total sugar addict, I have found that the only way for me to control it is to eliminate all simple carbohydrates (ALL forms of sugar [white and brown sugar, honey, agave nectar etc], rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) from my diet and make sure there is no temptation in the house. If you can go two weeks, the cravings will subside but it's a life change - if you cave, the cravings will return. The longer you eliminate it, the less satisfying it is if you fall off the wagon. Other food will taste better.

I never recommend substituting a lower calorie sweet for a regular one - it's still sugar which is just plain bad for you, even if you can work a sweet treat into your daily calories. Sugar is not healthy food, it has no nutritional value, it spikes your insulin and it's implicated in all kinds of diseases. And, if you are not familiar with metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, I recommend reading up on it. This can happen even if you are fit and a normal weight.

So, stop eating sugar altogether, more worry about progress derailed! Do I miss it - hell yes but it's no longer worth the consequences for a very fleeting moment of pleasure.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    njlondres wrote: »
    As a a total sugar addict, I have found that the only way for me to control it is to eliminate all simple carbohydrates (ALL forms of sugar [white and brown sugar, honey, agave nectar etc], rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) from my diet and make sure there is no temptation in the house. If you can go two weeks, the cravings will subside but it's a life change - if you cave, the cravings will return. The longer you eliminate it, the less satisfying it is if you fall off the wagon. Other food will taste better.

I never recommend substituting a lower calorie sweet for a regular one - it's still sugar which is just plain bad for you, even if you can work a sweet treat into your daily calories. Sugar is not healthy food, it has no nutritional value, it spikes your insulin and it's implicated in all kinds of diseases. And, if you are not familiar with metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, I recommend reading up on it. This can happen even if you are fit and a normal weight.

So, stop eating sugar altogether, more worry about progress derailed! Do I miss it - hell yes but it's no longer worth the consequences for a very fleeting moment of pleasure.

a life without sugar or carbs????? no thanks!!! (and totally unnecessarily and unrealistic)...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    njlondres wrote: »

umm there is sugar in fruit and milk and please explain why it's not healthy? with proof..not blogs or posts from random non medical folks.

and Metabolic syndrome is not caused by sugar

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/metabolic-syndrome/symptoms-causes/dxc-20197520

it's by being overweight and inactive which is cause by eating too much of all foods not just sugar.

and fact of the mater sugar is "the generic name for sweet, soluble carbohydrates, many of which are used in food. There are various types of sugar derived from different sources. Simple sugars are called monosaccharides and include glucose, fructose, and galactose."

and our bodies naturally produce glucose aka sugar if it is not present in sufficient quantities in our food.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't diet and avoid sugars. Adopt a sustainable way of eating that keeps you at a deficit. If you can enjoy small portions of sweet things within your calorie goals, then you will lose weight. It's unlikely you'll be able to avoid sweets forever, so you just have to manage it and not make it a binge event.
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I think these suggestions will help me to watch what I eat more, especially the part about logging everything.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree with some many things said by many people here. First Im going to say, there is way to out run a bad diet.

So if you are logging all items you eat, accurately/honest. Weighing & portion control then you should be able to fit a sweet treat into you daily calories. If you are not weighing, portion control, adding what oil you cook in, tracking those mindless bites of items ( while still eating extra treats), you could be over eating your intake with knowing

It may not be muscle for the reason you are seeing a gain, because yes I agree the above posters it takes months to really "gain" muscle. But if you are doing much more than you usually do, then your muscles maybe in repair mode... which will cause them to hold on to water for repair., which mean the scale will read a large number.

Sugar is my crack. Its a really problem for me. It has held me back from losing . Lots of people believe in everything in moderation. Well that's because it works for them, not everything

I read that eliminating all processed carbs from your diet does help with eliminating cravings. But I also don't agree with eliminating food groups from your diet, carbs are extremely helpful to your body. So I did a little experiment. Lowering my normal carb intake, and TRYING to get most of my daily carb intake from natural sources ( whole grains, veggies, fruits, agave, and honey) . I TRY to stay away from white pastas, white breads, candy, sweets, anything with added white &brown sugar ( unless I have made it myself) most of the time. I still have days where I eat it, but I try to plan around it. The other day I knew I was having corn bread with dinner, so the rest of the day no processed carbs. And it has helped, I know longer am a slave to sugar.