I need help plz anyone new to this :)

Options
I'm confused with all this dieting stuff only been dieting 2 weeks I'm 12 stone want to get to 10 if possible.ive bought a treadmill how much exercise do I need a day please and do I have to burn of the same calories I eat a day.(confused and unsure) I have problems with bloating as well everyday just need advise please Thank you.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Read some of the articles in the Getting Started and General Weight Loss forums. This Maintenance forum is basically for people who have already lost weight and want to maintain that weight loss.

Essentially, you need to put your statistics (height, weight, age, activity level) into your profile and set a goal to lose 1-2 pounds a week. If you only have a few pounds to lose, then you may only want to set the goal to .5 lb. That will give you a calorie goal to aim for every day. Then weigh, measure and log everything you eat. Try to get as close to the goal as you can. If you exercise, you can log that exercise. MFP will give you more calories to eat based on the exercise you do. What you eat is more important than the exercise you do for losing weight, though exercise is essential for your health. Start slowly with the exercise if you aren't used to it. Most people can walk, but don't go from 0 to 5 miles without building up to it.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Fill out the information in correctly here and get your logging under control. Depending on what you normally do every day it is hard to say what you should do for exercise. Start out slow, and work your way up. If you lose over 2 lbs per week, you need to change your activity setting.
    The system will calculate how many calories you should consume each day, based on your activity setting (active, not-active) and how many pounds per week you have it set up to lose.
  • trcsho
    trcsho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help :smile:
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @trcsho Also, be mindful of how MyFitnessPal does things. I am the first to admit that I was clueless when I first started using the forums......

MFP are very much "Calories in | Calories out". So, you put in your details (gender, age, height, weight, goals) and MFP will give you a Caloric Number. That is Calories In. You also need to add your "exercises" so that MFP will have an idea of "Calories Out".

I have to admit that I do not use MFP for this (I will indeed give it a legit try sometime in the future) so I can not give you specific examples for this.

A very popular concept in here is that you 'eat half of your exercise calories back'. Maybe - if you have questions - someone can answer those additional questions for you. I would gladly, but like I said, I do not use MFP for that so I would be the wrong person to answer those questions......

I hope that this helps you additionally.

Also, something that I stress to everyone - no matter the 'formula' that one is using - is that these tools are just tools. They are a good starting point. Nothing more. Meaning, if you (and I am going to totally make up numbers for this example....and they are going to be clearly outlandish....just to avoid confusion) consume 5,000 Calories a day and your exercise such that you burn 1,000 Calories a day (accoring to MFP) then your are at 4,000 Calories. Let's just say that is your maintenance (according to MFP).

Okay...so that is nice. Now, let's see how it (the number crunching via the 'formula') applies to you.

So, since this is 'maintenance' then you should not be gaining weight and you should not be loosing weight. But, let's say that you are actually loosing weight. Let's just say one pound. Forgive the pounds and ounces. I do not know the translation to the UK system of Stones.

So, if you are loosing weight (one pound a week) then that means that you are in a caloric deficit. So, you are burning more than you are eating. In other words, Calories Out exceeds Calories In at the moment. The formula was pretty close and pretty amazing, but a little bit off for you. So, you would know that you need either to eat a little bit more or to burn a little less!

So, please do not take the numbers that MFP - or any "calculator" - gives you as the end-all, be-all for you. Like I stated, the numbers will likely be a good starting point. Then you need to put in the work to make that final adjustment to find out your true numbers. I mean, you could take 10 women, all with the same stats and give them the same numbers and there will likely be slight to noticeable changes in each of them.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Bloating generally comes from numerous things.....the two most common (I would say....but take this with a grain of salt) are:

1. allergic reaction to something that you are eating
    2. digestion not quite used to the food that you are eating

So, if you are eating Cashew Butter now (so, something new added to your nutrition....just using Cashew Butter as the example....it could be anything) then your bloating could be due to how your body is responding to breaking down (aka, digesting) that new food. It (the bloating) will go away with time.....

That is a strong possibility.

It is also possible that you are having an allergic reaction to the Cashew Butter (again, just used that as the example.....).

Have you added any new foods to your nutrition?

And, since you stated "every day" I am not looking at your menstrual cycle to be the cause.....

Now, might I ask this question? Is it a "bloated" feeling or a "dang I am really full, if I eat another bite of anything I am going to explode" full feeling? There is a difference......
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the website. The most important thing you have to realize is that to lose weight you don't have to exercise. It's just a matter of eating less calories than your body Burns and you will lose weight with or without exercise.

Set a realistic goal for losing the weight approximately 1 to 2 pounds per week and just follow the calorie guidelines it will work. Exercise will accelerate the process but it's not the main source of weight loss. The calorie reduction is.

Now that being said exercise has other great benefits which are physical mental and spiritual that can't be overlooked