Intermittent Fasting - is it worth the hype?

Options
vbinko
vbinko Posts: 4 Member
Hello! I have come across this interesting trend of intermittent fasting (IF). There are many different versions, but basically they all revolve around periods of the day where you don't eat (fast) and eat (feast). There are many different versions of IF out there, but the one I am trying to do (and the one most recommended by nutritionists) is the 16/8 method where you fast for 16 hours and can only eat during a 8 hour window.

This window can change depending on your schedule; I am eating from 12-8pm. Basically this means that I am skipping breakfast (shock and aw) and cutting out snacking on stuff after dinner.

But here's the kicker - I am doing this less of weight loss (although that would be a nice side effect), I am really doing this for the supposed benefits it has on insulin levels (clearer focused mind, less bloating, better sleep etc.). This means that I WILL NOT be restricting my calories - right now I am fairly inactive while recovering from an injury, so I will be aiming for around 1600-1700 calories. I will keep the same calorie levels as pre IF, but I am making sure I am tracking them a bit more and paying special attention to my macros to make sure I am not doing more harm then good. What I really want to see from this challenge is if I can see results and benefits just from altering the time of day I eat.

If you want to join me in IF - please do! Give it a google (lots and I mean LOTS of stuff out there), find out what plan might work for you and give it a try!

Replies

• belcanto29
    belcanto29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started 16:8 IF yesterday. Want to friend up?
  • vbinko
    Options
    Sounds great! I only started Monday, so this is only day 3 for me
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's just a way of eating. I kinda do a version of this with one meal a day.
  • healthydanni
    healthydanni Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started I F too, feel free to add :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    It's not hype. Think about it. Many nations that don't have access to food 24/7 survive on a form of intermittent fasting. For CENTURIES. Now of those types of nations, what's the obesity epidemic? I'm better less than 2%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,249 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for about 3 months now. Biggest thing I noticed and love...I'm not hungry. No more growling stomach...yay!!
  • menen28
    menen28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Me too I do it 2 times a weeks rest of the days are 20:4 19:5
  • vbinko
    Options
    That's why I like it so far - I'm not thinking of it as a 'diet' because it's not, it's a way of eating and a lifestyle. Biggest thing I noticed is that I am aware of when I am actually hungry - most times I would just eat out of boredom / routine. The time of day that's the toughest for me right now is about 8-11am. I get up at 7am, and don't eat until 12pm. So during 8-11am I'm conscious of the fact that I am in deed hungry. But then I just drink loads of water / peppermint tea and that takes the edge right off. I have also noticed during this period I tend to get mild headaches - I think that is because of a) my hydration level, and b) I cut my caffeine in tack WAY down (was a 3+ coffee drinker in the morning and 2 caffeinated teas in the afternoon), now I just have one small coffee a day. I think my body is just getting used to things
  • vbinko
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not hype. Think about it. Many nations that don't have access to food 24/7 survive on a form of intermittent fasting. For CENTURIES. Now of those types of nations, what's the obesity epidemic? I'm better less than 2%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

As a Fitness Trainer - maybe you might be able to answer a question. In doing my research before starting IF, I noticed that one of the biggest 'risks' for females is how it impacts your hormones. I heard there have not been too many studies done on females how do IF and are fit and train. Do you have any thoughts around its impacts on hormones in females?
  • juliedealmooney
    Options
    I am doing IF and I am losing weight. I'm also on a Keto diet and watching calories. The combo seems to be working for me. I do 16:8 and usually eat between noon and 8. I never liked eating breakfast so I love that I no longer have to feel guilty about skipping it! Feel free to add me as well.
  • orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do 19:5 most days. I like eating within a window. It also aids with cravings (or maybe keto is aiding with this) and helps me drink more water. I think it's good that you're doing 16:8 with your goals because it's harder to eat more calories in a small window! You can add me too!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You can add me also! I do IF, loving it simply because it keeps me from over-eating. I also am not trying to lose weight, so I have 1690 to maintain. I eat most days one meal or 23:1. But some days I widen my window to about 19:5 and eat two meals. It's satisfying to eat a large meals in a shorter time, than to eat tiny ones all throughout the day.
  • luneniege
    luneniege Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just started doing 16:8 fasting combined with low carb/keto diet. I am hoping for better control of my diabetes and weight loss. I can already see some results in my blood sugar. Hopefully it continues. Please feel free to add me.
  • iraspiritia
    iraspiritia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting on Sept 11th and I've lost 4.5 kg (10 lbs). I use 16:8 method. However I still keep logging my food intake since I worry I'd eat too much during my feast period. I eat around 1800 cal a day.
    Please free to add me.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ive decided to try IF. Just started last night/today. Please feel free to add me. Id lile to see what peoplea diaries look like. Im currentlt trying to lose weight. Ive lost 30 lbs so far and now ibe plateued so im hoping this will jump start my loss again.also have a problem with binging at night and on weekends so hoping this 16 /8 will help!
  • menen28
    menen28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Add me doing omad now