Is it really helping ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Hi! It looks like you aren't weighing your solid food, so you are more likely eating more calories than you think. Oats and fruit are foods that will often throw you over your calorie limit if you just measure/count them out, as opposed to weighing.

Second this.
  • weighmeless
    weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! It looks like you aren't weighing your solid food, so you are more likely eating more calories than you think. Oats and fruit are foods that will often throw you over your calorie limit if you just measure/count them out, as opposed to weighing.

You are right. I am currently not weighing the food but whatever I am exporting into food log, they are all food from past which I had used to loose weight & I was successful back then :( with no exercise what so ever. Just counted what I ate
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Didnt read the thread but pretty sure i can guess whats been said lol.

Anyway your moving more, Of course it helps. All iv done my entire weight loss exercise wise is walking. And i lost 110 pounds, 105 within the first 13 months. So yeah it helps. Aslong as your in a calorie deficit youll lose weight long term. I think your getting to caught up in the timeline, Its not an instant fix you need to give it time. Just try not to get to caught up in creating a huge deficit trust me on that, I got lucky to get through my own stupidity and stay on course but at one point id work huge long days moving furniture and then still add in 10k steps after work (totalling around 30k steps) and t hen wonder if adding 200-500 calories was to much on my 1200 diet lol. Thankfully i never got any signs of starvation and was relatively comfortable through my loss, I put it down to great food choices but i definatly lost more muscle thn i needed to and definatly at times majorly underate. Dont let yourself do that lol.
  • weighmeless
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That helps thank you :) yeah just that I need to be sure that when I am investing so much time and energy it shouldn't go waste because I was doing something silly unknowingly :-P
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, what did you set your activity level to in MFP? sedentary, lightly active, active, etc...
  • weighmeless
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    OP, what did you set your activity level to in MFP? sedentary, lightly active, active, etc...

Very active - because I am hitting 20000 + steps a day
  • weighmeless
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    If you want to put all questions to rest, buy a food scale, weigh everything in grams and log accurate entries. Then you will know exactly what your deficit is, and won't have to worry about this question.

Will do that ! Thank you
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Wow 10k is alot how long does it take you?
  • weighmeless
    edited September 2017
    Options

If I increase my speed I should be able to do it in an hour. Right now I am doing closer to 7000 steps in an hour - about 3 miles

Another 1.5 hrs for another 10K - hitting 20K most of the days. But most of the 4K- 5k steps out of 20K include running house hold chores/grocery
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I try to get between 12,000-16,000 steps a day. It takes me a good portion of the day because I do it in little bits. I have a Fitbit Alta (not a HRM), which buzzes every hour for me to get 250 steps. However, every hour I try to get at least 1000 steps. When I want to get those steps over with, I jog frantically in place, or jog while I'm watching TV. Now, I'm retired, so for the most part, I have the time to do this. I'm 68, so I pretty much march around the house, jog in place, etc. to get my steps. My steps give me between 450-650 exercise calories. I have everything set at sedentary.
  • weighmeless
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »

I try to get between 12,000-16,000 steps a day. It takes me a good portion of the day because I do it in little bits. I have a Fitbit Alta (not a HRM), which buzzes every hour for me to get 250 steps. However, every hour I try to get at least 1000 steps. When I want to get those steps over with, I jog frantically in place, or jog while I'm watching TV. Now, I'm retired, so for the most part, I have the time to do this. I'm 68, so I pretty much march around the house, jog in place, etc. to get my steps. My steps give me between 450-650 exercise calories. I have everything set at sedentary.

lol at jog part. We are on same page with that and the no of exercise calories .. sometimes it upto 800+ exercise calories. Good job keep it going. I hope I have half energy as you at 68 :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »

Yes ... I don't usually track steps, but last October my work had a 1-month step challenge so I did it for that month.

Turns out that, as a sedentary person, I was getting nearly 10,000 steps a day without trying. And then I was exercising on top of that.

Walking as part of my commute, walking back and forth to the photocopier, kitchen, and toilet, and getting up and just doing a bit of walking about once an hour really adds up. :)

Now, I only count whatever I've deemed as "exercise" (not back and forth to the photocopier) and that seemed to work well for me to lose my weight. If I did happen to burn a bit extra one day, it made up for any mistakes I might have made logging my food.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the baby! Thanks for updating this.
    You can do it! I'm loving walking right now so I enjoyed this thread.

Btw I had my third baby last year, I'm 41 and this year I've built my longest streak ever on here- lost weight I've been trying to lose for 8 years since my second baby and I've discovered working out at home consistently which is so great with little ones to look after. My baby inspired and continues to inspire me. You really can do this 😊