Question about adding excersize

Options
So I noticed that the Excersize section has Standing as an addable option, but the fitness level I selected already takes into consideration that I have a job that I stand all day. So do I add Standing to my excersize for the day or only if it's on a day that I normally wouldn't be standing for long periods (so it's like, extra standing)... Silly question, I know.

Replies

• rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't add anything except actual workouts. I also use a fitbit and use the step counter. I don't think I'd add anything unless I actually felt like I got some kind of a workout from it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So I noticed that the Excersize section has Standing as an addable option, but the fitness level I selected already takes into consideration that I have a job that I stand all day. So do I add Standing to my excersize for the day or only if it's on a day that I normally wouldn't be standing for long periods (so it's like, extra standing)... Silly question, I know.

Standing is part of your normal daily activity and accounted for in your activity level (which has nothing to do with your fitness by the way, it's about how active your home/school/work life is - see below), it's not purposeful exercise, so don't add it.

j61vlbn0n26t.jpg
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Adding every single movement you make in a day likely is going to result in overeating when you eat those calories back. Unless you're trying to gain weight I would only log purposeful exercise. MFP already assumes you're alive and moving based on the activity level you selected.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You would only add that which is not accounted for in your activity level...if it's accounted for in your activity level (which standing should be as it's part of your job) then you would be double dipping if you added it. Your activity level with MFP doesn't include fitness/exercise...that is additional, unaccounted for activity which is why you add it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to add in any reasonable amount of exercise, even if it isn't much of a calorie burner, like yoga.

The reason is that it's sometimes surprising how much little bursts of exercise can add up, such as a mile walk as part of my work day, or vacuuming the house for a half hour, or impromptu gardening. It's a good reminder that lots of little workouts in many ways are just as good as one blocked time of working out. It's calories out.

Counting CICO goes both ways, after all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Personally, I try to add in any reasonable amount of exercise, even if it isn't much of a calorie burner, like yoga.

The reason is that it's sometimes surprising how much little bursts of exercise can add up, such as a mile walk as part of my work day, or vacuuming the house for a half hour, or impromptu gardening. It's a good reminder that lots of little workouts in many ways are just as good as one blocked time of working out. It's calories out.

Counting CICO goes both ways, after all.

You have to be very careful with this though...even an activity level of sedentary is going to account for activity equivalent to about 5,000 steps in your activity level. Counting every little thing you do is often why people have trouble on this site...there's a lot of double dipping going on.
  • Naomivarela
    Naomivarela Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I normally work out twice a day. Yesterday my mom suggested that I should count my steps. Now I use a fitbit and use the step counter. I'm not sure if I should do that. Can someone tell me if it's OK to do both ( aerobics and step counter)
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few on here, I would just log a workout session that is done.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    So I normally work out twice a day. Yesterday my mom suggested that I should count my steps. Now I use a fitbit and use the step counter. I'm not sure if I should do that. Can someone tell me if it's OK to do both ( aerobics and step counter)

@Naomivarela if you have your fitbit synced to MFP it will adjust for the activity level you have set yourself up for. If you are wearing your tracker during your aerobics, don't log it seperately it will already be included in your adjustment. Bear in mind your fit bit calorie burns might not be 100% accurate and it can be best to start off with eating 50% back and monitoring your weight loss over a period of 4 weeks and adjusting the amount you are eating back as necessary (losing more than expected, eat more/losing less than expected eat less).

• Naomivarela
    Naomivarela Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks