Who walks as their only form of exercise?

Options
Are there any Myfitnesspal users that use walking as their only form of exercise? If so, what kind of results have you seen? I'd love to incorporate higher intensity workouts when I get some weight off, but walking is all I can handle right now without getting overly winded.

Replies

• Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have just been walking almost daily since Jan 15. Down 41 lbs. started with 1 mi and now routine walking dogs about 3 mi almost every time we walk.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I only walk. But I lost weight (30lbs) because I ate at a deficit. The walking only increases the deficit (for a given intake). I walk so that I can eat more.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Walking is great. It keeps you mobile and active, and anything that keeps you mobile and active is going to be a benefit overall, not just seeing weight loss results. You weight loss results are going to come down to your calorie deficit and diet.

MFP is designed for you eat back your exercise calories or a portion thereof, so use your walking or exercise in general for your overall best medicine for better health in general. Hopefully you will keep exercising in general way past weight loss and into maintaining.

So walk, move more, stay active.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary form of exercise. I mostly walk around the house, my driveway, out to the mailbox, etc. Frequently I jog in place in front of the TV. I try to get a least 15,000 steps per day. I've lost 14.2 pounds in 60 days.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost the weight I wanted to lose, and walking was my only form of exercise during that time.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am a walker do 5+ miles on my fitbit per day. Thinking about doing water aerobics when I drop some more weight and some weight machines for muscle toning
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It used to be, but eventually I switched to running. Running is currently my only form of exercise. I am in around the 35 miles or so per week range and I run in my first HM on Sunday. I fully realize this is not the best course of action. While getting into running has been of huge benefit to me by burning tons of calories and making my body lean, it does very little to strengthen my upper body or build up my core. I plan to incorporate at least some form of strength training into my routine soon.

That being said (and this is especially true for newer people) the best form of exercise is the one you do consistently. If that is walking, then by all means keep doing it. You can always switch things up later.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Like the above, at 300+ all I did was walk. By about 280, I had been running a little on the treadmill and started C25K. Now at 225, I'm at the gym lifting twice a week, running 2-3 times a week with my longest of 10K and starting swimming lessons Sunday.

Point is that walking is a great start. It may or may not lead to more types of exercise, but it is better than sitting on the couch. Plus it gives you more calories to eat.

And I do think my fitness tracker has been a big motivator, especially at the beginning.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    Walking's one of the few types of exercise that I'm able to do. I usually walk five or six days a week and it helps a lot (the amount of kilojoules I'm allotted is fairly low so increasing them helps me to stay on track. It's also good for my health.)
  • djm206
    djm206 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Down 150+ pounds. Walking is my main exercise.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Like the above, at 300+ all I did was walk. By about 280, I had been running a little on the treadmill and started C25K. Now at 225, I'm at the gym lifting twice a week, running 2-3 times a week with my longest of 10K and starting swimming lessons Sunday.

Point is that walking is a great start. It may or may not lead to more types of exercise, but it is better than sitting on the couch. Plus it gives you more calories to eat.

And I do think my fitness tracker has been a big motivator, especially at the beginning.

I also started with walking- I could only do 5-10 minutes, max at the beginning. Like @Tacklewasher, I have really changed as time went on. Now I lift 3x a week and run 3x a week, plus lunch walks every day. I have lost 49lbs through calorie deficit, but exercise really helped my mental game and keeps me motivated.

I honestly think walking is highly underrated and an excellent form of exercise. I moved on to other things because I love the challenge and I enjoy doing different things- but I will never stop incorporating walking, regardless of my other exercise choices.