Help!! Stress eating and can't stop!!

Options
I want and need to loss weight. I have tried and cheated so much it's not funny anymore. Going through a very rough patch in my marriage and eating myself to death. Hard to talk to anybody, cause really don't have anybody to talk to. Need motivation and support. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I have much practical advice as I suffer from this as well. What I did find really helped was someone who was looking at my diary (a PT for me) because I didn't want to cheat him even though I will cheat myself. Maybe you can replace food with another stress relieving activity? Craft? Colouring? Yoga?
  • anothersara88
    anothersara88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been there myself! Last year was the worst year for my husband and myself. We fought constantly. Is there any way to figure out the source of the conflict and work to manage it? My husband has mood problems because of PTSD and trauma. Talking to a counselor and reading books about those things have made a world of difference. Also, I found out I had a pretty bad vitamin D and iron deficiency. Addressing those have really made me more stress resilient and less likely to over eat as a form of soothing. A vitamin D deficiency seems to make me so so so so hungry. If you don't have the money or time to get your levels tested, you might try a good multivitamin and see if that helps you through this stressful time. I take the Garden of Life children's vit because I don't like the high doses so many vitamins contain.

Sometimes I try the website 7 cups of tea when I need to vent but don't have anyone to talk to.

Also I developed a self soothing plan where I go to starbucks and work on lesson plans when my husband and I can't stand to be around each other, rather than eat a pan of brownies like before... There are really great restorative yoga videos on youtube that help me calm down, which minimizes the cravings. So I wonder if you can develop a plan for when you have a falling out, like walk on a treadmill at the gym, or take a yoga class, something that will help your nerves calm down, which will probably help your marriage as well. I don't know about you but being more calm over all this year (so far) has really helped with the crazy fights. I feel your pain, I have gained 60 pounds since getting married but Myfitness pal and really focusing on taking care of myself and my own happiness have worked wonders.

Sending positive vibes!!
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OMG, stress eating kills my progress. Lately, I've been eating more protein and keeping really healthy foods in the house. So, when I go stress eating all I have are healthy stuff. (Watermelon, banana's, protein bars) It sucks but seems to be helping me not gain.

Also anothersara88, I had the D and Iron deficiency too! These make such a HUGE difference!

Good luck!! <3
  • smanto00
    smanto00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been stress eating a lot lately too...I think it's because I recently stopped drinking and am now craving salty snacks. Particularly chips, queso, salsa....anything like that. I'm not really sure why. I've been told it could be a vitamin deficiency, but I have no idea which one. I've started and restarted my diet/exercise plan over and over. Today is day one and so far so good; however, I'm still having the cravings to drink.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to :smile:
  • Jaefit18
    Jaefit18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep going through the hills and valleys. You are worth it. You will get stronger and more disciplined if you just keep going. You can do this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Write it down in a journal. Vent your frustrations there. Many times just getting it out even on paper helps.

And remember, lean people go through stressful times too. You DON'T have to use food to destress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Totally agree. Jouraliing is very cathartic.
    Mindfulness. Going for a walk and removing yourself from the environment can be helpful.

What has stopped me, quite bluntly is this,
    I am sick and tired of being FAT!
    This roller coaster of losing weight and gaining again. After countless binges and feeling like crap, I have gained the internal drive and determination to TAKE CONTROL.

Eventually you really do come to that point when you say..,ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Write it down in a journal. Vent your frustrations there. Many times just getting it out even on paper helps.

And remember, lean people go through stressful times too. You DON'T have to use food to destress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with this, I would also like to add for myself, when I get totally stress, I do some sort of exercise until I am physically exhausted, running in particular, I grab my headset, put on some tunes and run like forrest gump until I am spent. Clear the brain, let it go...

For those in marriages that are having issues, seek counseling, talk it out, take it day by day.

been with my wife for 27 years, married 21, three kids, life can be tough, come up with a game plan together, talking it out works, don't let it fester in silence.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater, too, and my job is often emotionally draining. And I'm constantly going, going, going. When I finally can sit still and eat, I have a hard time not bingeing.

Lots of great ideas on here. I've taken up drawing and doing those adult coloring books. I feel a little silly doing the coloring books, and I'm absolutely terrible at drawing, but, it occupies my hands and mind. If my hands are busy, I can't use them to stuff food in my face.

I tried knitting, but it just got me angry.
  • anwilborn40
    anwilborn40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got a coloring book and some markers. Like it so far :):D
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    just take it one day at a time, maybe set a goal. Everyone goes through this, i am definitely a stress eater too! Just keep telling yourself why you want to achieve this goal. Take all the bad food out of your house, i had to do that lol