Is it okay to have one day a week as a treat day?

Options
I'm doing really well on my dieting, I've lost 5lbs in the last 3 and 1/2 weeks; which I thought would be really hard because I have Hypothyroid but I'm on a low dose of medication for it. I've been keeping to 1200 calories religiously everyday without fail, not a calorie over. I've also been getting a little exercise everyday, just half hour walk or house chores.

I'm just wondering is it okay to have one day a week where I can have a little treat? I've been doing that since I started this diet, where on a Friday, I allow myself 5-600 calories over my daily limit of 1200, by having a nice meal, and a snack later in the evening, as I don't drink; my treat is chocolate. Does anyone else do this? Do you find it helps motivate you every week as something to look forward too? I'm not a big fashion person, I'm more geeky, nerdy so I enjoy video games and movies to shopping.

I'm just wondering if anyone else does this once a week treat day? I call it my 'sin' day haha! I just want to hear from all of you, and get feedback.

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I go to maintenance I usually only have a 500 cal deficit Monday to Thursday I live by a weekly deficit rather than a daily one it works for me and keeps me sane if this way works for you do it. :) I've been at this since January, I always tell myself this is a lifestyle change not a diet do what fits your lifestyle if you're still in a deficit over the week you'll lose. Good luck x
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    One day a week won't make much of a difference if you stick with the plan the rest of the week. Just don't string too many of those 'one days' together!
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said that 2 cheats a week is good so that your body doesn't crave things and then you end up overeating. I have it down to once a week myself currently.
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If we have any hope of maintaining our goal weights for the rest of our lives we should allow ourselves to enjoy food. I don't have a specific cheat day, but at least once a month I get bad cravings or find myself emotional, and I allow myself to indulge - within set boundaries - otherwise I might just as well give up. This is a lifetime change, and you should accommodate your emotional well being as well.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The theory behind it is this -

If your cheat, whatever that means to you, doesn't negate the progress you've made, then it won't hurt you in the long run. Think of it like this - if you save money all month, then at the end of the month decide to splurge on new shoes or whatever, is that OK? Well, it depends how much those shoes cost compared to how much you saved during the month. Calories are no different.

From your post, it sounds like your cheat is pretty well controlled and intentional, so you're probably ok, especially given the numbers you're talking about (1200 cals total, a cheat of 500ish extra cals once a week).

I love this analogy! I am totally going to use it next time co worker brags about everything she can eat on her "cheat day" then complains when her weight loss slows down or stalls for a bit. She is also queen of the "woo" and lectured me for 1/2 hour yesterday on how her morning fasted cardio "jumpstarts" her metabolism. I tried to tell her there is really no such thing and she called me a "hater", but anyways I digress.

But yes I agree with what was said above, it is perfectly okay to have treats. You can work them into your daily calorie goal or bank them for one large treat once a week (this is personally what I love to do), and as long as you are still in a deficit for the week you will be fine! I find one large treat a week, usually on Saturday, helps me maintain discipline thru ought the week because I have something to look forward too. It is sometimes helpful to think of a weekly calorie goal in addition to your daily one and it does not really matter your daily calories as long as your weekly calories maintain a deficit, of course it needs to be said that 500 calories a day then 2500 the next is not exactly the best way to do it though. I hope this helps!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    One day a week won't make much of a difference if you stick with the plan the rest of the week. Just don't string too many of those 'one days' together!

If someone is working with a smaller deficit or even if they go really high calorie on their "cheat day," one day can wipe out a deficit. Think of someone who is shooting for half a pound a week -- their deficit is only 250 calories. That means it would just take 1,750 calories to eliminate the potential for weight loss that week.
  • oreo_cookies_1992
    Options
    Well according to calorie counting logic, as long as it fits your calories (which will be set to a defiect on here if you have it set to lose weight) then you're technically allowed to eat whatever you want. Obviously nutritous foods are best, but if you can fit a bowl of ice cream in by the end of your night, you should still see results.

Personally I think 1200 is too low. I have mine set to 1500, and I've logged fast food, chocolate, candy etc and I'm still losing at proper speed. 3lbs so far in three weeks. I mean if one cheat day a week honestly works for you, then sure! Personally I love junk food. So I squeeze a little bit in everyday.. I just make sure it fits in my calories :) I like to eat about 80% clean. Remember this is a lifestyle change.. too much restrictions can lead to unhealthy habits and a lot of guilt if you fall off track from a very aggressive goal. Not to be so lecturing, it's just I've been down that road before where I restricted big time and lost a lot of weight fast.. when I got pregnant I went back to eating like crap because I finally felt like I had a reason to eat again.. it shouldnt feel that way all the time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Personally, instead of going over my calorie allotment, I make room for a chocolate bar/ice cream/Cheetos/whatever daily. Cheat days can easily wipe out a deficit, especially if one doesn't use a food scale for all solid and semi solid food.

Weight loss itself is all about calories, and not about what you should/shouldn't eat. A chocolate bar, if it fits in your calories, would not detail your progress unless it causss you to overeat or binge.

Also, what are your stats. OP (height, age, current weight, goal weight)? 1200 may be too little for you.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

If someone is working with a smaller deficit or even if they go really high calorie on their "cheat day," one day can wipe out a deficit. Think of someone who is shooting for half a pound a week -- their deficit is only 250 calories. That means it would just take 1,750 calories to eliminate the potential for weight loss that week.
    Agreed with this.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    One cheat or five cheats in a week are really all the same, they just slow your progress or stop it. I tend to go way over on the weekend so I guess I have cheat weekends. Which is why I have put weight back on.
  • animatorswearbras
    Options

If your cheat, whatever that means to you, doesn't negate the progress you've made, then it won't hurt you in the long run. Think of it like this - if you save money all month, then at the end of the month decide to splurge on new shoes or whatever, is that OK? Well, it depends how much those shoes cost compared to how much you saved during the month. Calories are no different.

From your post, it sounds like your cheat is pretty well controlled and intentional, so you're probably ok, especially given the numbers you're talking about (1200 cals total, a cheat of 500ish extra cals once a week).
    of course it needs to be said that 500 calories a day then 2500 the next is not exactly the best way to do it though. I hope this helps!

I don't do IF myself but alot of IF'ers do do 500 one day and 2500 the next with no damage done :) Its perfectly safe* if you can do it, with reputable literature supporting it, however I can't go under 1400 cals a day personally without gnawing at my desk. ;P (*although possibly dangerous for people with a history of ED binge restrict cycles)
  • animatorswearbras
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    And please, please eat more than 1,200 a day unless you have some kind of medical requirement to go that low!

I used to believe this and can only go as low as 1400 myself but 1200 can be quite safe as long as you have a decent maintenance plan when you hit goal weight. (and obviously don't have an ED history with restriction) Also if you're a long way from goal and will be doing this for several months diet breaks and returning to maintenance for a few weeks are essential.

According to Martin MacDonald if you divide your body fat percentage by 15 that is the percent you can lose in mass per week safely (as long as you're aiming for a healthy BMI obvs) so if you're at 30% bodyfat you could lose as much as 2% mass per week (I know that sounds extreme but this is based on clinical evidence). You have to keep your protein up to retain as much muscle as possible and resistance training also helps. Also emphasis on a maintainable long term deficit, if you can't maintain a large deficit don't do it but if you are comfortable on 1200 it's really fine as long as it doesn't exceed your recommended loss percentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhLIsFFsPAA

Worth a watch and gives sources. :)

Hope that helps x
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

of course it needs to be said that 500 calories a day then 2500 the next is not exactly the best way to do it though. I hope this helps!

I don't do IF myself but alot of IF'ers do do 500 one day and 2500 the next with no damage done :) Its perfectly safe* if you can do it, with reputable literature supporting it, however I can't go under 1400 cals a day personally without gnawing at my desk. ;P (*although possibly dangerous for people with a history of ED binge restrict cycles)

Gotcha!, I should have been more clear because what I meant was on 500 calories a day I would probably end up binging.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have started to allocate myself one day a week where I eat something I've been craving - in bulk. But I make sure, as much as possible to keep within my limit/if I go a bit over I won't cry.

So for example:

If I really really want some brownies or whatever, but realistically know buying a small box and 'portioning' them is not going to happen (tried and failed) then I will plan that a certain day next week or whenever I will buy/make and eat it all
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Why do we have to create drama stressing over cheat days or sin days? Why not develop an overall balanced approach to eating for life? My trainer always stressed 80/20 rule, for me it is more like 90/10, but you get the idea. I guess it's not as much "fun" as creating drama!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be drama? Why can't it just be another method that some people choose to follow? How is what OP is asking about any more dramatic than people who eat lower during the week to allow themselves more cals on the weekend?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at maintenance one day during the work week and at a surplus one weekend day, although that first day often ends up in a surplus as well. The other five days I eat around my goal weight maintenance level. The two days generally wipe out about half of my weekly deficit. Clearly I'd lose faster if I didn't do this, but I'd also be unhappy, so forget that! If you're losing weight at a healthy rate that you're satisfied with, what you're doing is working. Like many others, I try not to think of this as a diet, but as a long-term change in my eating habits. You've got to figure out what works for you, not what others think is the "best" way to go.

And hey, congratulations on those five pounds!
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do whatever works for you...it is so individual! I started following my Trainers advice in May...I completely revamped my diet...focusing on macros...more water...I eat little to no added sugars or simple carbs 6 days/week...on the 7th day I plan to eat whatever my little brain has been thinking about...I try to stay close to maintenance calories if I can but don't worry about it if it doesn't happen...Some people can work treats into their day...I find that it makes me want more...I need some limits...I am losing 4 pds a month on track...so it is working for me... You are gonna have to do you...❤❤❤ Good luck!