help- i am always hungry lately

Options
i have been doing great eating well under my calorie goal of 1200 a day but lately, i am starving all the time, it seems like the 1200 isnt enough. i burn a minimum of 600 cal a day sometimes 800 or 900 and never eat those back because if i do i end up gaining.
so what can i do to not feel like i am starving all the time

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Take a tylenol pm (or melatonin) and go to bed. lol. It's what I do.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Easy.. Eat!

If your gains are the kind that just pop up over night, its mostly due to water weight or daily fluctuations and are nothing to worry about. If it is a gain that happens slowly over a long period of time and doesn't go away after a day or two, then I'd worry.

If your burning a minimum of 600 calories a day, I'd try eating at least half of that back and see what happens.. I think you'll like the results.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, grab something good to munch on. Don't starve yourself. If you're burning those calories, I don't see why you can't eat something else.
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i had this problem too...still kinda do. i eat like 5-7 times throughout the day depending what time i get up, meals and snacks ranging from 200-300 calories. i stay just a little under 1200 but not too much, and i hit all my daily needs. eating every couple hrs helps, but make sure theyre healthy snacks.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Seriously... eat more.
    800kcal falls within the standard definition of a disordered eating pattern even without the massive amounts of exercise you're doing.

You're probably gaining as soon as you eat back your exercise calories simply because your body is desperately clinging on to fuel - slowly increase the amount you're eating daily with a decent balanace of proteins, carbs and fats, and you'll start losing again once your body becomes used to actually getting enough to fuel itself without hanging on to extra reserves in the form of fat.

Take care of yourself - you might also benefit from consulting an nutritionist about what's best for your needs.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I do want to see a nutrionist.

my husband thinks 1200 calories a day is not enough for me, I put on here that I have a sedentary life style, he dis agrees since we have a 9 month old and a 23 month old.

like right now for example I am at 933 calories (thats including what I will eat for dinner tonight) I have already burned 600 today and am going to zumba and possibly body pump tonight.
    i am starving right now and don't know if I should eat some crackers or a piece of cheese and some grapes.

I am beyond terrified of gaining any weight.
    last friday the scale said 176 and today it said 178.8 and I didn't have a bad weekend.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Start eating! You're almost at your goal, your body needs the fuel to keep up with your active lifestyle.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I do want to see a nutrionist.

my husband thinks 1200 calories a day is not enough for me, I put on here that I have a sedentary life style, he dis agrees since we have a 9 month old and a 23 month old.

like right now for example I am at 933 calories (thats including what I will eat for dinner tonight) I have already burned 600 today and am going to zumba and possibly body pump tonight.
    i am starving right now and don't know if I should eat some crackers or a piece of cheese and some grapes.

I am beyond terrified of gaining any weight.
    last friday the scale said 176 and today it said 178.8 and I didn't have a bad weekend.

Eat the crackers, and the cheese and the grapes.

For the all the exercise your doing, your body needs that food to run.. otherwise your going to get sick.

Besides 2 pounds over a weekend is nothing.. hell that is what I gain every weekend and its normally gone by tomorrow. weigh in again at the end of the week and see what happens.. i'm sure it will have gone back down.
  • kimluvsel
    Options
    Kat is right, you feel like you gain quickly when you eat the exercise calories because your body is telling you something. One of the joys of exercising is being able to allow yourself to eat a little more. Obviously, you want to stick with healthy options, but don't starve yourself. I went through the exact problem a year ago and have found that when I started to stick with 1200 calories minimum, I lost weight at a more consistent rate, because I didn't feel like I was constantly going up and down. Also, make sure you're getting your water in eat slowly.
    You're doing great, keep it up!!
  • kimluvsel
    Options
    :smokin:
    Kat is right, you feel like you gain quickly when you eat the exercise calories because your body is telling you something. One of the joys of exercising is being able to allow yourself to eat a little more. Obviously, you want to stick with healthy options, but don't starve yourself. I went through the exact problem a year ago and have found that when I started to stick with 1200 calories minimum, I lost weight at a more consistent rate, because I didn't feel like I was constantly going up and down. Also, make sure you're getting your water in eat slowly.
  • kimluvsel
    Options
    :smokin:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get lots of protein/fiber combos and water. Are you sure it isn't thirst and not truly hunger?

And I agree if you are burning lots of calories try to eat bay 1/4 to 1/2 and see how it goes. You may NEED more calories and that is why you feel hungry.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    i have been doing great eating well under my calorie goal of 1200 a day but lately, i am starving all the time, it seems like the 1200 isnt enough. i burn a minimum of 600 cal a day sometimes 800 or 900 and never eat those back because if i do i end up gaining.
    so what can i do to not feel like i am starving all the time

The bottom of the line is that you're starving yourself. You stated that you're eating "well under" 1200 calories every day. Then you're burning 600-900 calories a day through exercise. The net? You're getting 300-600 calories a day to feed your body. No wonder you're starving!

The problem is, if you've been eating like this for awhile, you WILL gain weight if you start to eat more because you're body is going to be excited to finally get more food and it's going to immediately store every extra calorie as fat. That is going to immediately make you think that you can't eat more than you are if you want to lose weight. The fact of the matter is, that if you actually keep eating 1200 PLUS your exercise calories, you'll eventually start to lose weight again and you'll keep losing.

I'd highly suggest the nutritionist. I have a feeling you aren't going to believe any of us telling you these things. Perhaps you'll listen to a professional tell you that you need to eat more if you want to lose weight.
  • zml_mom
    Options
    actually a lot of this makes perfect sense and I am going to try it.
    i just ate some grapes and cheese (although I think my son got half the cheese lol) and will eat a little more than a serving for dinner.

I will start eating a little more each day.

the last week I have made sure that I hit 1200 calories because for the last 4 months I didn't go over 900 a day and once I hit a platuea a few weeks ago i upped it to 1200 and lost a few pounds, so I will up it again and see how that goes.

i set a goal of burning no less than 600 a day and the days that i go to the gym on top of my home workout i burn quite a bit.

I drink anywhere from 13-23 glasses of water a day, I have a sobe life water maybe once a week but other than that I don't drink anything else but the occasional beer or wine with my hubby
  • zml_mom
    Options
    I am actually more inclined to listen to you guys than a nutritionist because you have gone through this before and have been successful with it and chances are the person I see will be super skinny and has never had to worry about weight in their life.

that happened to me when I was 7 months pregnant with my youngest. I was so worried about gaining any more weight until he was born that I asked while I was at the dr and a lady came in to talk to me she was MAYBE a size 2 and had just had a baby 3 months before this.
    so she tells me to only eat 5 carbs a day for the rest of my pregnancy. there is no way not when I was chasing my then 12 month old around the house .
    i was mad because she obviously has never had to worry about gaining weight and pretty much made me feel like crap so I tried it, and i didn't make it 2 days I was STARVING