Weighing vs measuring oatmeal?

Options
. The can of oatmeal says the serving is 1/2 cup or 40 grams. I weighed a half cup once and it came out to 40 grams, but I haven't weighed it in a while. I've heard so.many other people say half a cup of oatmeal is more than 40 grams, the weighed serving size. Has that been anyone else's experience?

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I always weigh mine - I can get more into the measuring cup than the serving size suggests!

I've measured and then weighed several times and it's usually different depending on how much the oatmeal settles and exactly how full the cup is. It can make quite a bit of difference (calorie wise) over time, so it's safest to weigh - plus it saves dirtying a measuring cup! :)

(Or you can do like I used to do and weigh it out into a week's worth of little bags with additions like sugar and cocoa powder, which I did to save time in the mornings... I could just empty the bag into the saucepan and weigh my milk/water into it.)
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :) Thanks.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Weighing is more accurate but if you've weighed your measure and it's just easier to measure with cups the difference is probably negligible give or take a few grams. Personally I do a bit of both and eyeball low calorie stuff since I've been at this 9 months and have a handle on it, if I was starting to stall or lose at a slower/faster rate then I was expecting I'd probably start tightening up my logging and weigh everything from scratch again.

Long story short if you're losing what you expect to lose every month your measuring technique is probably fine. x
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    40g will always be 40g. 1/2 cup can be 50g, 35g, etc. I can eyeball pretty close to 40g from having done it for so long, but even then sometimes its way more or way less. It's always best to use grams and a scale if you can.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I put my bowl on the foodscale when pouring all solid food. Then i pour the food until I hit the grams I want. That way I am accurate and I don't dirty a measuring cup.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weighing is more accurate, but I always just use a measuring cup...unless you're heaping the cup, the difference IMO, is negligible. I've weighed my measured amounts previously, and it's typically within a gram or two.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've tested it., and it seems sometimes it's 40, but sometimes it's 50. I'll weigh from now on. Thanks, everybody!