Breakfast -WHAT TO EAT TO LOSE SOME POUNDS?

Options
Hi, I am starting with proper diet so I have to ask. Usually I eat big baguette with ham,cheese,mayonese and some kind of vegetable. What do you think I should eat in morning, when I am in school till noon?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you like that fits within your calorie goals. Do you know how many calories your current breakfast is? That can help you make adjustments or figure out if you need to replace it with something that is easier to fit into your goals.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat breakfast. Instead, I wait until about 10:30 am and have a small snack.

Mind you, if I was not able to eat anything between, say, 8:30 am and noon, I probably would have a piece of toast with a bit of cheese at about 8:15.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat throughout the day and week that determines whether you lose weight. Calories in vs Calories out. Simple maths.

However, you could have porridge for breakfast as it's slow release energy and full of fibre, so should keep you feeling full until lunch. It's versatile too: Find some overnight oat receipes, or add some nuts/seeds/spices/fruit to the normal cooking kind. Not as calorific as the baguette you have described either.

But remember: Weigh and log everything accurately.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There's no "proper diet." To lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than you are currently. I prefer large dinners over big breakfasts, so this is my general split:

Goal: <1480 cals
    Breakfast: 200 cals
    Lunch: 400-500 cals
    Snack: 100-200 cals
    Dinner: 500-700 cals, more if earned with exercise.

For breakfast I often have one of the following:
    • serving of cheerios (28 grams) with 2/3 cup vanilla soy milk
    • cottage cheese with fruit or honey and cinnamon
    • a banana and half serving of peanut butter
    • granola bar and a clementine
    • strawberry smoothie (soy milk, strawberries, fake sweetener, nutmeg)
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love pancakes!!! so i make cottage cheese pancakes with jam and they taste delicious!!
    Ingredients - 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp vanilla extract and 1 egg!

That's it! only 200 calories and very filling! I'm just getting back on the bandwagon and i found these satisfy my urge to eat pancakes lol A girl at work tried them and now shes craving them, so i highly recommend them. Good luck on your journey!
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss diet.. I used to eat one slice of toast , one egg white on top of it and 2 oranges squeezed for juice! Pretty yummy, healthy and super low calories
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I start with tea or coffee, then a few hours later, some oatmeal or Greek yogurt. Not a big breakfast person
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ask your parents perhaps?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs scrambled with heavy cream and cheese. This solid foundation means I am less likely to snack later in the day. As long as it fits within your calories and the rest of your diet meets all your nutrition needs, eat whatever works for you for breakfast.

Here's a good graph for what your overall diet should comprise:HEPJan2015-1024x808.jpg

For more information go to: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    belchino wrote: »
    Hi, I am starting with proper diet so I have to ask. Usually I eat big baguette with ham,cheese,mayonese and some kind of vegetable. What do you think I should eat in morning, when I am in school till noon?

Eat a small or medium baguette with proportionally less ham, cheese, mayonnaise, and vegetable.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is that working for you other than the calories? You don't get hungry at school? An easy way to cut calories and stay at nearly the same thing would be to leave off one heavy ingredient like the mayo or the cheese. Over time you could strip it down further, e.g use half the baguette and eat it as an open faced sandwich.

If it were I, I would keep the ham and veg and make an omelet. Eggs and ham are quick, great together and they really dress up any vegetable. If it's bland you can throw in pepper or herbs or use sausage in place of ham. You could still keep your cheese if it doesn't bring the calories too high. For me this would be more filling longer than anything bread based.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I had a Japanese friend who introduced me to how her family, and all the families she knew, did breakfast: leftovers.

You just save little bits of dinner/lunch from the previous day or so, and then have it for breakfast with a little twist. If you have burgers, chop them into bits and add a bit of sauce and mix with rice. Or make a salad with yesterdays roasted veggies, whatever. There would be many little dishes on the table to choose from for breakfast.

It took a little getting used to, but the big benefit was it was often higher in protein and lower in empty carbs than my previous breakfast was, so it was fewer calories and tended to leave me feeling fuller than, say, pancakes or oatmeal might. Now I love to eat that way. :-)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    belchino wrote: »

Start by finding out how many calories in that breakfast. Then look at your total calorie intake for the whole day.

You may be able to eat mostly the same things, but in smaller portions.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs plus about 20g lean protein (chicken breast, Turkey lunchmeat, etc.). That keeps me from getting hungry for about 5 hours. My calorie goal is 1800/day.