Bikram Hot Yoga

I have become addicted - 90 minutes 110-115 degrees - 26 postures . The best part is it is 583 calorie burn - yes! This helps so much with adding calories to my 1200 calorie goal. I try to do 4 days a week and do elliptical (40-60 minutes) alternatively when I miss. Anyone doing it and has done it long term and seen good results for toning?? I have done it now for five months - had a lull for a month while doing work travel. Anyone have some inspiring stories?? Working hard to lose 12 more pounds. 5'4" , 141.6 lbs, will turn 62 in November and hating the gravity pulls - fighting it all the way!!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    i've tried it, but i get too slippery to hold poses and the studios always smell like feet. lol, glad you like it though!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    edited September 2017
    It doesn't burn that much. I've been doing it for 10 years and usually estimate 150-200 for it. I absolutely LOVE it though!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    I loved it, helped with my flexibility.
  • maddie124
    maddie124 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok. So sad. My fitness pal estimates it at the 583. Oh, I'm really depressed.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Don't be depressed great work doing it! The extra calories are a pretty awesome bonus. Most exercise doesn't burn as much as the machines and estimates say. When you are newish to the routine it will burn more and as your body becomes more efficient at doing it you burn less but the health benefits are not to be taken lightly. Eat back half the calories for 6 weeks, if you are still losing keep it up.
  • rmiller029
    rmiller029 Posts: 2 Member
    Be careful with too much hot yoga. There was a study that said people who do it five times a week or more can end up with discoloration and poor skin. The heat can be worse for you than UV rays. Here's a snippet of what I read- “We now know that heat triggers melanocytes, the pigment-producing cells within our skin, to create the pigment that causes age spots as a defense mechanism. Melanocytes react when they’re injured, and heat is a form of injury.”
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    rmiller029 wrote: »
    Be careful with too much hot yoga. There was a study that said people who do it five times a week or more can end up with discoloration and poor skin. The heat can be worse for you than UV rays. Here's a snippet of what I read- “We now know that heat triggers melanocytes, the pigment-producing cells within our skin, to create the pigment that causes age spots as a defense mechanism. Melanocytes react when they’re injured, and heat is a form of injury.”

Do you have a reference we could refer to? Where did you read it?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    rmiller029 wrote: »

Yes please share the link would like to read too.
  • LaunchControl
    LaunchControl Posts: 1 Member
    According to my iwatch that I wear during Bikram Yoga I burn between 500 to 700+ calories per class depending on the effort. I started doing Bikram Yoga again after a year break. I’m 5’-2” and currently weigh 185lbs. When I do it consistently 3-4 times a week in the past I definitely see amazing results and feel great overall.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    According to my iwatch that I wear during Bikram Yoga I burn between 500 to 700+ calories per class depending on the effort. I started doing Bikram Yoga again after a year break. I’m 5’-2” and currently weigh 185lbs. When I do it consistently 3-4 times a week in the past I definitely see amazing results and feel great overall.

I think the calories burnt are way overestimated since it's the heat that confounds most HR calorie counters. I always estimate 200-300 MAX (for a particularly tough class with longer holds). I've found it seems very accurate because I've maintained for years using this number and I practice at least 2-3 a week. Love bikram yoga, don't feel right without it! It is a hard one to calculate because many new people don't do the postures right or use their muscles for certain postures etc. You really do get what you put into it. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It shouldn't be your only workout anyway. You should be doing cardio and lifting weights. Does your dr have any advice for you?