Has anybody’s appetite gone smaller after losing a lot of weight?

Options
I’m near the 25 lb mark and I noticed recently that I sometimes can’t eat anything bigger than a large kids meal; I get fuller quickly. When I first started I had a bit of trouble eating a medium sized meal but still had large binge food craving through out the day. It’s kind of bizarre to me.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you burn fewer calories so it is natural to have a smaller appetite.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I dont get super hungry anymore. A lot of that is down to a better diet thus fewer carb crashes
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I wish! I am able to feel full on less and I don't stuff myself any more, but it's still a challenge!
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think my brain is just getting accustomized to always being at least slightly hungry. It's like, 'oh, that feeling again. Okay.'
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you burn fewer calories so it is natural to have a smaller appetite.

This. It's still possible to overeat, but your body doesn't need as much so once it adjusts you might not be as hungry.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've just taught myself how to ignore hunger.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My appetite is huge. Hasn't gone down. Gotta track.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    I dont get super hungry anymore. A lot of that is down to a better diet thus fewer carb crashes

That's how it is with me. When I'm eating less junk my blood sugar levels are more even, and my deficit is not too aggressive so I don't feel deprived.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smaller appetite after I lost weight (50 pounds), but I have gotten into a routine of eating more appropriate portions, because I have a better understanding of how much I need. I also eat more balanced and tasty meals, and I eat everything I like because I'm no longer afraid of food (which ironically, actually urged me to overeat). I realize that my feeling of "full" has been way off. I can still eat way too much, but for the most part, I choose not to. Sometimes it's hard, but really not always that hard.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My appetite is still huge and I thrive on high volume BUT if I eat a lot of crap in one sitting, I feel terrible! The amount of food doesn't affect me so much but, damn, the type of food now does!
  • daisyfields79
    daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm at 32 pounds gone in 2 months (I was 300 when I started) and I was/am the same. When I started I was starving for the first 3 days and it slowly started to get better. I use to wake up with my stomach growling but now I'm not hungry until around 1 in the afternoon. I'm going with it but still making sure to eat my calories, I just have a dinner with higher calories to make up for not having breakfast. Sometimes I still wake up hungry so I have breakfast but I only eat when I'm actually hungry. I find when I wake up hungry, I'm hungry all day so I eat lower calorie foods so I will not go over my calories for that day.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm less hungry but I do notice that I'm not doing nearly as much snacking as I used to. I'm one of those people who snack when I'm bored. Tracking showed this to me and now that I pay attention, I've cut a lot of that out. I find that I'm not hungry on 3 solids a day.
  • Stationagentjules
    Options
    I could easily eat for many reasons, but actual hunger is fortunately rarely one of them. I take control by tracking my intake.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it's partly biology, as in I need less fuel now I have less mass, and partly habit and being mindful.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I wish. If anything, my appetite has increased. :disappointed:
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it takes a few months. When I lost 40 lbs I did get full a lot easier and was less likely to want to keep eating. I could eat some chips and put the bag away without wanting to finish the bag.