How do you stop feeling panicked and out of control?

Options
Hello. I find that when I log and try to eat healthily throughout the day, very often I feel kind of panicked around dinner time; like I get really hungry and feel that I can't stop myself from eating whatever I can get my hands on to stop myself from feeling hungry. I have generally been trying to have breakfast and lunch be around 400 calories each, with two snacks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) at about 150-200 calories. Some lucky people do not need to eat as often but I find that if I do not eat every two to three hours, my blood sugar drops and I become light headed and basically useless at anything I try to do until I eat :) Does anyone else feel kind of panicked and like your willpower completely disappears at a certain point in the day? What has worked for you?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercise and you get to eat more.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't say that I panicked but I do get worried that I will blow all my progress in the evening, because that's when I am weak.

The only suggestion I have that might help is to try to change up your types of food you are eating. Not sure what you're eating but 400 calories for lunch and breakfast WITH two snacks seems like a luxury to me!! So I am a little concerned that you are feeling that out of control come dinner time.

Of course, I don't know your stats and maybe this is an extreme calorie deficit than what you are used to. If so, it's going to take some time to adjust to the deficit.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm hypoglycemic, which means I'm prone to sudden blood sugar drops. I've found that having something filled with protein at every meal is helping, along with eating carbs. I'm watching my sugar intake due to being prediabetic, but I do carry a Snickers or a Payday bar with me in my backpack in case my sugar does something wonky unexpectedly. Basically, it all comes down to what you're eating.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    AidenT94 wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I'm hypoglycemic, which means I'm prone to sudden blood sugar drops. I've found that having something filled with protein at every meal is helping, along with eating carbs. I'm watching my sugar intake due to being prediabetic, but I do carry a Snickers or a Payday bar with me in my backpack in case my sugar does something wonky unexpectedly. Basically, it all comes down to what you're eating.

I think hypoglycemia runs in my family. My brother is this same way, as was my grandfather and I think my aunt. Maybe I do need to try to have more protein with each meal. Thank you for your thoughts
  • remoore23
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts! :)
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If youre having problems with blood sugar then you need to check the GI of the foods that you eat. Carb crashes after bread, pasta, sugar, rice etc are common enough to warrant a look
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A common reason for carb crashes is a low fat diet. Lower fat tends to raise the GI... a snickers is suprisingly low due to the nuts (that doesnt mean its nutricious)
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy snacks around and eat more protein at dinner than you think you need
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    remoore23 wrote: »
    Hello. I find that when I log and try to eat healthily throughout the day, very often I feel kind of panicked around dinner time; like I get really hungry and feel that I can't stop myself from eating whatever I can get my hands on to stop myself from feeling hungry. I have generally been trying to have breakfast and lunch be around 400 calories each, with two snacks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) at about 150-200 calories. Some lucky people do not need to eat as often but I find that if I do not eat every two to three hours, my blood sugar drops and I become light headed and basically useless at anything I try to do until I eat :) Does anyone else feel kind of panicked and like your willpower completely disappears at a certain point in the day? What has worked for you?

Yes, yes I do (panic)....Some days I have ate perfectly healthy, only to binge right before bed or at dinner time! I'm finding that for me, the best thing to do is to keep the unhealthy stuff out of the house, if at all possible (I live with 5 other people, so that is not possible, but I'm doing my part to not buy the unhealthy foods). Like, today, I panicked because it's Friday, it's the weekend, and my usual structure (due to work schedule) is gone on the weekends, so I have to force myself to stay on track. What has worked for me is just keeping the eye on the prize. It may sound cliche, but it's true. How I eat during the day or Mon-Fri cannot change because I have goals to reach. I know after numerous mistakes that if I mess up too bad during dinner or on the weekends, I will take longer to reach my goals and frankly, I'm tired of being fat!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What has really helped me stick to my diet this time, was simply realizing that feeling hungry is not that big of a deal. The feeling of hunger that I feel, between eating 1200 or more calories a day, is not starvation, and our is not adversely affecting my body.

My fearing hunger is a first world problem, food is always present, so there is no reason to feel hungry. But most people in this world do feel hungry every day, and hopefully most days they can satisfy that hunger with food.

I realized that a little hunger is simply my body's reaction to not having food in my belly, not because I am depriving my body of important nutrients. It isn't a pleasant feeling, but I have learned to accept it as part of my day until I can eat again.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also take a look at the kinds of foods you eat. You mind need to change the foods you have to feel satiated.

For me, protein keeps me full. 400 calories of protein and I'm good for 5+ hours. 400 calories of sugary cereal and I'm hungry maybe 2 hours later or less. You can make your calories work.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you always have had problems with your low blood sugar, perhaps a visit to your doctor to find the underlying cause for your problem, and treatment might be a good idea. Some help from a nutritionist or dietitian to design a plan and suggestions to avoid the problem might also be a good idea. I'm not a hypochondriac, but when my body is telling me something, I try to listen. Good luck!
  • remoore23
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. It's helpful to read your advice and also to just feel supported by people.

I want to clarify that when I say "panic", I am not referring to an intellectual 'Oh no, I may mess up my progress," or something like that. I mean I feel out of control and in danger on a visceral, wordless level. It's difficult to think clearly or plan at that point.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    If you always have had problems with your low blood sugar, perhaps a visit to your doctor to find the underlying cause for your problem, and treatment might be a good idea. Some help from a nutritionist or dietitian to design a plan and suggestions to avoid the problem might also be a good idea. I'm not a hypochondriac, but when my body is telling me something, I try to listen. Good luck!

Agree with this. One thing I want to add is that I do know several people who eat whatever they want (they may or may not be overweight) but they eat a lot of high carb/simple carbs, sugars, etc. I find that when they go for stretches without food, they are feeling bad (even if they aren't dieting). I honestly don't think *all* these people are hypoglycemic and I think a lot of what they feel is due to poor diet/too much sugar. Their body swings wildly. With time, and excluding a true medical condition, that feeling will disappear as your body adjusts to less sugar/carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was swept away by media-, food- and dieting industry-induced panic, fear of blood sugar swings and binge episodes and metabolic damage, headache, dizziness and irritability. Taking back that control, through educating myself and experimenting, helped me get rid of that panic. Realizing that not eating for a few hours is unproblematic, as long as I eat enough, and well, was amazing. Hunger is unpleasant, and it's supposed to be, because we need to eat. But it's not so unpleasant that we can't think or function (that would have made it impossible to get food in the first place).

What I needed to do, was to stop "trying" and all the other faffing around I used to do, and just plan my meals, making sure everything was ready in time, and definitely plan meals I want to eat, so I'm motivated to stick to what I've planned, even if I have to wait - in fact, waiting for a good meal, as long as I'm certain I will have it, just enhances the enjoyment.
  • walkingshoes
    walkingshoes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I get sugar out of my system I then find I am in control. I love being in control. I used to get the afternoon crash daily. Diet all day and blow it at one time. But I thought at least I was grabbing the right stuff. I had to learn that even a 90 calorie fiber one bar does not work for me. The sugars in it make me want one more and then something else. I now literally just eat higher fat (good fats as much as possible) and protein and drink water during that crash til I fill up and keep loosing weight. You have to grab the right things. It is an effort for the first 4 days up to 2 weeks of eating low carb that makes me get "in control" I literally can pass a cookie right over to my neighbor without wanting it. Miraculous for me! I went for 10 years feeling like I was on a diet 95% of my time and all I did is slowly gain more weight. That 5% off the diet (afternoon crashes or parties/vacations) was giving my body the sugars it needed to produce insulin which tells your body to "store fat" So if you eat lower carb throughout your day, then in the afternoon, grab low carb foods and water until you are satisfied. I grab low carb yogurt, cottage cheese with tomato, nuts, Atlantic canned salmon mixed with ranch on celery or broccoli, turkey and cheese roll up, pecans dipped in skinny cow cheese, pull off some rotisserie and open a can of green beans, left over veggies. My favorite is carb smart Bryers Chocolate ice cream and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of natural crunchy peanut butter on the side of the ice cream and scoop a little of each on my spoon. Yum! I start with half a cup of the ice cream but some days I go back for another half a cup and more peanut butter. But I keep loosing weight! I literally eat this ice cream at least 4 times a week, weigh daily and this food lets me keep loosing weight. It is higher calorie so it would probably make you gain weight if you are not watching your carbs.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have you set a too-fast weight loss goal? I know if my calories are as low as I need for over a pound a week I obsess over food. All day!

So, I reset it to half a pound a week and am much more satisfied/less stressed with that extra few hundred calories to accommodate meals and snacks. I'd rather lose weight slowly than try to lose it fast and fail.

It also helps me to pre-log the day in the morning. I can always change it if I need to, and then I don't spend the afternoon worrying about dinner and if it fits my limits.

Edit - also try and see if various foods keep you satiated longer/help you avoid that panicky feeling. I need substantial protein with meals, some people need carbs or fat or fiber to not get hungry soon. My cousin with hypoglycemia never snacks on just carbs, protein keeps his blood sugar levels more stable.

You may need screening to diagnose various blood sugar or anxiety issues. Hypoglycemia can cause anxiety as a symptom, you should definitely get it checked out.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a pre dinner snack that is a fat like a fat bomb or protein ball or muffin or whatever. Relatively low about 180 for 1 will satiate you til dinners done. Preprep dinner cuts out the likelihood of overdoing dinner as well and cuts that thought processes out. I figured this out when every time I'd blow the end of day bc I was literally ravenous do not let yourself get to that level of hunger. And if I'm that hungry and dinner has to be made I probably will eat whatever is in sight so I have preplanned nibbles while cooking. Honestly people always say preplan, prep, prelog! I didn't really think it would work for me. It I gave it a shot and it did.