Who walks as their only form of exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I walk around my house and all I have right now are my step calories for weight loss since I am sidelined from the gym.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't my only form of exercise but its my only form of "cardio". I take my dog for walks. You can lose weight without any exercise at all actually. Good job and keep it up!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I walk around my house and all I have right now are my step calories for weight loss since I am sidelined from the gym.

What did you do to sideline you?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

What did you do to sideline you?

My ortho doc sidelined me. I have tendonitis and have to take it easy a few weeks.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    that's all I do for exercise right now. op you should look into Leslie Sansone walking dvd. that's going to be my winter routine
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I walk at least a 3k every day. I listen to my audiobook as I walk, it's really relaxing and fun. As for how it effects weight loss, well... my daily walk only gives me 150 extra calories to eat, so it doesn't make a big difference.
  • phaliamfp
    phaliamfp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I walk and hike as my only exercise. I started off in June walking a half mile at probably 2 miles an hour. Today I walked 4 miles at over 3 mph. I want to eventually walk 5 miles a day, but am currently pushing myself to go faster instead of longer.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds doing no other exercise besides walking. I walk at a very brisk pace, when I started I could only manage 1 mile but now I am doing 3-5 miles a day. I like walking because it helps me destress and relax. I have in the past few months incorporated other exercises into my routine but only because I can't always count on the weather to get a walk in outside and my treadmill died.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I started years ago I wasn't doing anything...still had results because I was eating in a deficit...started walking everyday so that I could eat more and still lose weight...which I did. Spent a couple of months just walking before I started a C25K program. 5 years later I'm an avid cycling enthusiast and try to get in 50+ miles per week...
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds since July with just walking on the treadmill inconsistently. It's all been counting my calories. My ticker says I've only lost 13, and I'm not sure how that got messed up. I changed my email address and such and don't know how that was effected, but it's not reading right. But you can do it!

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just from walking, down 46lbs. I am now 174 from 221. I also walk by tennis courts frequently so I started taking tennis lessons. I walked by the softball field, so I joined another team. Sometimes I run because I feel like it. You'll notice as your energy increases, you'll want to do more.

By the way, I really hate running. I sometimes see others hating running also, while they're running. And I smile to myself because I know how much I've lost doing an exercise that brings me joy and not pain.

I started upping my walking and alternating jogging a few weeks ago, and it's been amazing how quickly my energy levels have risen. I've always kind of rolled my eyes at "sporty people" (I've got some father issues there), but I've got to admit that the endorphin rewards are real. Not getting sweaty during shorter walks is quite nice as well. Or getting out of breath climbing a flight of stairs. Woo!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Me.. I only walk. About 20-25 minutes during my lunch break at work Mon-Fri and then 4 night a week after dinner 30-40 minutes. I've lost 26lb doing this plus counting calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    That being said (and this is especially true for newer people) the best form of exercise is the one you do consistently. If that is walking, then by all means keep doing it. You can always switch things up later.

QFT
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Walking is my exercise. I try to do two miles each day..one on treadmill and one outside. Then hopefully I get another in in steps cleaning house, working, or whatever. Eating at a deficit and walking is how I lost.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Walking and running have been my only two forms of exercise the last 2 months. It's been working but who knows if it'll continue to work or if i'll "plataeu".