Healthy snack (non-fruit) ideas?

Options
I always like to have a little snack in the evening. I usually eat dinner early so I need something to avoid the late night munchies! Currently it's been a rice krispe marshmallow bar. It's only 119cals but it's high sugar. I'm looking for an alternative snack. Preferable healthy and something other than fruit. Any ideas?

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Roasted soy nuts - nice n crunchy, full of protein
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Almonds, celery w/all natural pb, carrots
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    bump
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the best thing to eat before bed is raw veggies.

however, I also like something sweet sometimes and I will generally choose Publix lowfat frozen yogurt (or brand of your choice). depending on the flavor, it ranges between 100 and 130 calories per half cup.
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i know you said non-fruit, but I find ths DELICIOUS, so i'll just throw it out there-

sliced almonds mixed in with sliced strawberries.

Very yummy.

Otherwise, I like hummus with carrots
  • MrsRono75
    MrsRono75 Posts: 14
    Options
    I found these bars called Kind bars. They come in adifferent flavors. Mostly nuts and grains. They are all natural ingredients. Now, they have about 200 calories a piece, so it may not be the best snack choice, but they are very tasty, and seem to take that hunger tinge away for me.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cocoa roast almonds
    yogurt
    some kind of cracker w/laughing cow cheese wedge
    celery/peanut butter
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are several different kinds of roasted almonds that I use as a treat. Planters has roasted almonds that are covered in cinnamon and dark chocolate. They are awesome because they taste I'm cheating but they are really pretty good for you :-)
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    the best thing to eat before bed is raw veggies.

however, I also like something sweet sometimes and I will generally choose Publix lowfat frozen yogurt (or brand of your choice). depending on the flavor, it ranges between 100 and 130 calories per half cup.

OMG, I'm so addicted to publix frozen yogurt. My favorite evening snack. :happy:
  • Canoe4
    Canoe4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Edamame - Dry Roasted - Delicious!! - Any time of the day - Good Source for the Protene as well.
    You can get it from Costco, Sprout or wholefoods. :smile:
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas. The frozen yogurt sounds yummy :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Danone Shape White Chocolate mousse. 109 calories, and its absolutely amazing!
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Multi-grain rice cake with roasted garlic hummus
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese

Great Value Fat-Free Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup (116 g): 80 Cal, 7 g Carbs (5 g Sugar) , 0 g Fat , 14 g Protein
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    ryvita with philadelphia light
  • Rainbow011
    Options
    Danone Shape White Chocolate mousse. 109 calories, and its absolutely amazing!

Yum....will definitely try it x
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For something sweet? Yogurt (you can freeze it!) or sugar-free Jello. (I'm told raspberry with a dash of cayenne is divine).

My fave food is a hard boiled egg and I would recommend it for anytime. Also, a decaf chocolate chai or similarly flavored decaf tea.
  • Rainbow011
    Options
    For something sweet? Yogurt (you can freeze it!) or sugar-free Jello. (I'm told raspberry with a dash of cayenne is divine).

My fave food is a hard boiled egg and I would recommend it for anytime. Also, a decaf chocolate chai or similarly flavored decaf tea.

Decaf chocolate chai...never heard of it. Is in like tea version of a caffe mocha?
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1/3c low fat ricotta + 1/3c fat free cottage cheese + splash vanilla + tiny bit agave or stevia

blend until smooth. Add splash of milk for smoother consistency. Serve in bowl and top with a few nuts, sliced fruit, or kashi cereal. I think it tastes like cheesecake!
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Toast with peanut butter or light philadelphia.....mmmm mmmmm