Iron Deficiency

I'm pretty new on here (12 days) and have been looking at what kinds of nutrients I consume. I've noticed that my iron consumption is too low every single day. I have vegetarian and non-vegetarian days so was wondering what foods are fairly low calorie and have tons of iron that I can have?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    You would be getting much more iron than you think. As it is not compulsory for food labels to include iron many entries are added without iron content included. As an example I can scan in some roast beef from the supermarket and it would come up as having no iron when in fact it is an iron rich food.

Also, the only way you can know if you are iron deficit is through a blood test. Do not take iron supplements just incase, without confirmation from a doctor, because too much oron can impact negatively on your health.
  • jessicafordy9
    jessicafordy9 Posts: 13 Member
    The best way to know if you're truly iron defficient is to get a blood test. Symptoms include insomnia, tiredness, light headedness etc so just because you don't think you're hitting the target doesn't mean your defficient. However I have had a friend who was extremely iron defficient due to being a vegetarian and was informed by her doctor to eat iron rich meat/fish more (she chose just to eat fish) along with her iron tablets as a result within the past couple months she has improved greatly and has been told by her doctor she won't need tablets soon.