sugar my problem

Options
I found cutting it out cold turkey was my only hope. I quit craving after about three weeks.
That's not to say I want something sweet now and then. When I do I take a little taste of organic honey. It's not ice cream and cookies but it does the trick!

Replies

• Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Good on you. I also gave it up a few months back and I did feel a lit better for it. No more brain fog. Sadly I have let it slip back into my diet a little bit.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for comments- I feel horrible right now, caught in a sugar/fatigue cycle and appreciate all your Input!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for comments- I feel horrible right now, caught in a sugar/fatigue cycle and appreciate all your Input!

When you lower insulin levels, by cutting some carbs like sugar, you usually lose water weight and electrolytes along with it. Fatigue, headaches, nausea, brain fog and muscle aches are signs that your sodium is low. A cup or two of salty broth may help, or even a half teaspoon of salt with water. You may need 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day to replace lost electrolytes. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt.

Good luck.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thats fantastic. I quit sugar on keto for 5 months. Felt better overall, but couldn't do it for long. Now I incorporate sweets and sugar to my liking and enjoy it. It's almost impossible to quit sugar for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @hale03071
    Ohhhhh you said the f word (fructose)...you're going to get it ....j/k

I posted a link to how the body metabolized fructose differently and got it good. Then I backed it up with a few links,all of them saying fruits and vegetables are good,and they went off.

The problem is you cannot claim fructose is all bad and then that fruit is fine in that fruit has fructose. There's no real difference between the types of sugar in table sugar (sucrose breaks down to glucose and fructose) and fruit (mix of fructose, glucose, and sucrose, in various amounts depending on the fruit).

I eat very little added sugar currently, and have cut it out at times (I found it not that hard, perhaps because when I initially did it I didn't also cut carbs overall quite low, or perhaps because I already mostly cooked for myself with whole foods). So anyway, point is I am not saying there's no value to cutting way down on added sugar if you eat a lot or even cutting it out (or cutting out sweets) entirely. What I AM saying is that it's not accurate to say a cookie is different from an apple because of fructose (or anything to do with sugar). The apple, instead, has a little more fiber, different/more nutrients, and the cookie has more calories because of a lot of fat and might be hard not to overeat for many. (Some say they have just as much trouble not overeating the apple, but I bet that's less common).
    I'm also trying to eliminate foods with added sugars because they're just empty calories.

This is another thing that's just not true (although as I said I've done it, so I don't think it's a bad thing to do). If I add a little sugar to a rhubarb sauce or some brown sugar and apples to steel cut oats, do they cease having nutrients? And there are foods without any sugar at all that add as many calories with no more nutrients (some of which I happily eat, like olive oil, cheese).

But all this aside, if cutting out added sugar works for you, I think that's great. I just will disagree if you make claims that aren't accurate.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've a question for all of you who have "cut sugar out" obviously that's not technically correct as you do still eat sugar may in a restricted manner.

When you plan your sugar consumption do you count total grams per day or instead only eat foods with no more than "x" grams of sugar?

I started cutting sugar by only eating foods with less than 3 grams of sugar but during the process I was utterly shocked at how much sugar so many of my favorite foods had. Like balsamic vinegar! And bananas! I became disheartened and gradually stopped following it

So which do you do and what amounts do you limit yourself to?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    I've a question for all of you who have "cut sugar out" obviously that's not technically correct as you do still eat sugar may in a restricted manner.

When you plan your sugar consumption do you count total grams per day or instead only eat foods with no more than "x" grams of sugar?

I started cutting sugar by only eating foods with less than 3 grams of sugar but during the process I was utterly shocked at how much sugar so many of my favorite foods had. Like balsamic vinegar! And bananas! I became disheartened and gradually stopped following it

So you were trying to cut all sugar... not just added? Because anything that is fruit/veggie based will contain sugar.. but it's natural and comes with a lot of other beneficial nutrients. And if those foods, like banana's/balsamic vinegar are some of your favorites, why would you restrict them, especially if they keep you on track.

Heck, the whole reason I would never low carb is because I love fruit way too much and fat doesn't satiate me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I am pretty low in sugar. Under 10 g with some days approaching zero. I cut out all sugar meaning granulated sugar. I don't own any. If I bake I use stevia, and if it needs bulk I may use a powdered stevia but will more often use a protein powder.

As a general rule, my sugars come from some sweeter veggies like peppers, some dairy, and some processed meats. I rarely eat fruit but will have some once in a while.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

So you were trying to cut all sugar... not just added? Because anything that is fruit/veggie based will contain sugar.. but it's natural and comes with a lot of other beneficial nutrients. And if those foods, like banana's/balsamic vinegar are some of your favorites, why would you restrict them, especially if they keep you on track.

Heck, the whole reason I would never low carb is because I love fruit way too much and fat doesn't satiate me.

No I wasn't trying to cut all sugar because that would mean you could only eat protein (and the fat it contained) just reduce the amount of sugar intake. Which is why I was asking what limits others who are cutting sugar out use. An old program I was on did the 3gram foods restriction which I realize is quite restricted... But I read somewhere that I can't find again about limiting total daily intake to... (I don't remember exactly) around 20 grams per day total intake which again doesn't take very long to get up to when a serving of banana is 16 grams alone and balsamic vinegar is over 20 per tbs!