Complementary exercises to bench presses?

Options
I recently started going to a semi-private personal training session once a week (semi private means it's really a small class, like 6 people). Anyway, one of the exercises currently in the rotation is bench presses. In order to progress obviously I need to train on my own a couple of more times during the week in between sessions, but I don't have anyone available to spot me & I'm uncomfortable with the idea of bench pressing solo for safety reasons. Does anyone have any suggestions for other exercises I could do to target the same muscles that bench presses do? My plan would be to substitute those exercises for the bench presses when I'm exercising by myself. I do have access to a fairly well equipped gym at the school I work at so equipment is probably not a limiting factor here.

Replies

• usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If your gym doesn't have a power rack or something to help catch the bar, you could try doing dumbbell bench presses instead. That way if you drop them they fall to the side rather than on you.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Push up variations.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hammer Strength iso-lateral plate loaded bench press or chest press machines.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX chest press & variations
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started with dumbbells rather than a barbell.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Some ideas (many mentioned above) include higher rep lower weight dumbell chest pressed (flat and in line), chest fly, push ups, trx press and shoulder press. When I do my chest days, I also train my back with rows and pull ups.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Barbell or dumbbell floor presses - you don't need a spotter for those.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell are a good substitute, but be aware you'll probably be able to lift less because it's less stable.
    I can bench 40kg, but use 16kg dumbbells if I have to do that instead.

And at the moment I do one arm press with my shoulders on a swiss ball and can only use a 9kg dumbbell without falling off! :D
  • HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I always have a complimentary coffee with my bench press
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    If you have a trainer once a week, is he giving you a program with lists of things to do on the other days you aren't training with him? Ask him for something . If he can't write you up a program, you should look for a program on your own because otherwise you are just winging it and that isn't gonna be the most beneficial.

but to directly answer your question, You can just bench press with lighter weight, a weight you are comfortable with and do a little more volume. I do speed work for my bench press on my non spotter days. You dont always have to go so heavy you need a spotter. As far as complimentary exercises to help your bench, do lots of tricep and lat work.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Any row exercise will hit your biceps as well. Dumbbell bench press is safe when you don't have a spotter
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Push ups on your toes, not knees
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i prefer pushups to benching myself.

and then recently i decided to not bench at all. decided i can't see a good reason for it. not ever, never in my life so far have i ever heard of any physio, chiro or massage therapist saying 'your problem here is your pecs are too weak and your lats/upper back are too strong'.

so /meh. all they ever did for me was make my boobs hurt for a couple of days, anyway.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a pl coach for a year on bench. She has had me do all of the above accessories. Not sure if pause press was mentioned...that worked very well for explosiveness. You need a rack for that.

Also, don't neglect shoulders and triceps. I do overhead press and shoulder accessories (db press, rear delt rows, etc.) and triceps (seated pushdown, etc) on a non-bench day.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Pushups, dumbbell bench press, overhead press, barbell row, dips, close grip barbell bench, to name a few.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, pushups will be a great start. I really like the pushup. I like to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, silly). Dumbbell Press would be a close second for me.

Tricep work will also help your bench press. A strong(er) tricep will help in specific phases of the Bench Press.

And, as others have mentioned, OVP will also help. You can do dumbbell OVP. So, why OVP? How that? That does not sound right, right? Strong(er) shoulders will really assist in the bench press, if for any thing in that it (the OVP) will help to mitigate the chance of injury.

Proper form on the Bench will also help......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells...I do dumbbell bench way more than I barbell bench due in large part to some shoulder issues.

Make sure you're doing back work too...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dumbbells...I do dumbbell bench way more than I barbell bench due in large part to some shoulder issues.

Make sure you're doing back work too...

This. For most people in our hunched over a desk/cell phone culture they should be doing at least a 1:1 ratio of back to chest work. For those with really rounded shoulders closer to 2:1 back:chest.