First TAT advice

Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
Ok iv not got it yet it's been a long agonising decision on whether to get 1 or not. Been terrified I'l get 1 and hate it and be stuck with it. But.. .....im getting 1 for my mother who passed 2 years ago so I'l definitely never regret it.

Gona get it on the inside of my wrist, will this be particularly painful ?? I'm guessing yes.

How do you manage to stay completely still while getting a tat? I'm worried I'l flinch with the pain lol

I ain't the best drawer but I want to kind of design my tat, I have a fair idea in my mind of what id like but unsure if I'l be able to draw it. Do you design it with the tattoo artist? Do you tell them your idea and they do their interpretation? Lots of questions id be grateful of any advice.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Hi, I have a few so here are my tidbits of advice.

If you are getting it on the inner wrist, that tells me it's probably not very big. I have one there that is also sentimental to me and it took about 20 min. It was not hard sitting there that long, but I've been through 3 hour tattoos and that is agonizing.

If you can bring a squishy object that you can hold in your opposite hand, that will help with the pain. Also, eat something rather high calorie, like a burger, before going in.

I would tell the artist what you want and describe it or show pictures and let them design it. They can keep tweaking it if it's not what you desire. It's best to let them in on it rather than handing them a pre made design because each artist is different and has different abilities. They will lay the template on you and make sure it's the size you want before going in with the ink.

Have fun!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I have one that takes up my entire back, one that takes up most of both thighs and one on my hip. They aren't painful at all. It may pinch a little at first but I'd say a tattoo is about a 3/10 pain maybe even less.
  • rickiimarieee
    Just think of something to occupy your mind or play on your phone. I flinched a few times because of nerves not because it's painful just try to remain still.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I designed three of my tattoos, and they were inked just as I drew them, with shading of the colors done by the tattoo artist. The tattoo artist and I designed the last small one together, as I just had an idea, not a finished drawing. She had tons of deigns on her computer to get ideas from. I didn't want to have a stock tattoo picked off the designs on the wall! I didn't find it hard to stay still; I don't know how or why. I never had a tattoo on the inside of the wrist, but I didn't find any of mine particularly painful. I have heard that ones on the top of the foot are the most painful. My sympathies on your Mom's passing; I lost mine last year. You will always love your tattoo because of the meaning of it.
  • sllange27
    sllange27 Posts: 2 Member
    One way to avoid flinching, is to ask the artist if they can place their non-inking hand on your skin first, then followed by the inking hand/needle. That way any jumpy-ness or spasms will be out prior to the needle touching your skin. I've never had an artist say no, and it's worked each time for me. :)
  • rickiimarieee
    Anywhere that's directly on vine will hurt. I've heard wrists aren't painful. You're most painful spots is elbows, armpits, knees, feet, fingers, knuckles, genitals, face, and spine
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Speak with a few artists about your vision before you decide on one. He/she can do a custom design for you. Think about it for a few weeks/months just in case you want to change it, etc. My most recent tattoo was on my forearm, I had a few involuntary spasms but it was fine. You get use the the needle after a few minutes. My most painful tattoo was on my ankle, it was swollen for a week.
  • ttiffanytx
    ttiffanytx Posts: 19 Member
    I would say the pain is the least important part of the tattoo. *Making sure you have quality artists , in clean shop, with a beautiful design is #1.

You can sketch your own design or bring references for the artist. Most artists want to give you a good piece. You will more than likely have the opportunity to sit down with your artist and explain to them all of the details you want incorporated in the design.
    Put some thought into the style [Traditional/New School/Realism ect] that you want.Have a idea of the direction you want to go- Black & Grey or Color?

They will sketch, draw & place a stencil of your design before they ink anything.
    You will be able to see how you like the design and if you want to move placement.

I'm sure once you explain the importance of remembering your loved one the artist will be more than happy to work with you.
    There is no way of telling you the pain you'll feel because it truly is diffrent for everyone.
    Just try and relax- some artist don't mind if you bring head phones. The sound of the tattoo gun is intimidating for some people so music helps.

I can say of all the tattoos I have had (fingers, hip, etc.) Only one actually hurt. The one on my upper rib. The first few minutes were pretty intense but after a few moments you find your way into not minding the pain. By the end I was suprised he was finished and had actually started falling asleep from laying on the table.

I know few people with wrist and forearm tattoos and have heard it's not bad at all.
    Just remeber to breathe & focus on how much you'll enjoy your new peice of body art.

* I honesty can't stress enough that the artist & shop you pick are the most important aspects! Make sure the place is clean and ask to look through all of the shops artists portfolios/books before you pick. See who you think has a style similar to what your looking for. I wouldn't suggest walking in and just taking who ever is free if you are particular about the aesthetic of your design. Take the time to pick who you want and the deisgn you want and I'm sure you will be fine.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    I would honestly for the very first time get one outta sight in a place that's just for you... a very small and simple one, that way you can one... Make sure you can tolerate it and two have no regrets... just in case!

My very first was a very small butterfly on my hip which is only visible when I wear a swimsuit. My mistake for a first was picking one that was very detailed and with many colors. Was tough that first time, but after a few (ok a lot)... I've learned that I actually enjoy getting them. Kind of a "Hurts so Good" experience! ;)

Good luck and be sure to share with us... A closeup will never show where it actually is located. If you choose somewhere more personal. :)
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    dt3xsl8rz85f.png
    Here's mine
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited September 2017
    This was my first tattoo. In memory of my Father and my son who was still born. It is on the inside of my wrist and is a bout 3.5 inches long and 3 inches wide. It was a bit painful. A bit like nettle stings then afterward it was sore like sunburn. But it soon calmed down. It took around 40 minutes so quite bearable.

I had it on my wrist because it was important that I could see it all the time. In a strange way it brings me comfort. I often find myself touching it when I am a bit anxious I am so glad I got it done. I was worried I would regret it but I never have.

I am planning on getting another but am torn between designs at the moment.

Just be totally sure you have the design you want and that the artist is going to be able to do what you want the way you want it. I got recommendations from friends so I could see their tattoos before I decided who to use.

• HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Get a tattoo on tight skin areas, chest, outside of thigh etc not belly, bicep they stretch with weight and age
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member

Research your tattooist and go with one that works in the style you want; they should be able to design something awesome from your sketch/reference/idea. If you don't like what they come up with, don't get it tattooed on you. Ask them to tweak it etc.

Pain? It's going to hurt a bit no matter what. No one place hurts more or less as a rule as it's so variable person to person, day to day, how well you tolerate it.

I have a few (see below). I didn't really enjoy the inner wrist area to be honest, but not unbearable for me.

kbk2n1micuff.png

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    I have one that takes up my entire back, one that takes up most of both thighs and one on my hip. They aren't painful at all. It may pinch a little at first but I'd say a tattoo is about a 3/10 pain maybe even less.

I'm planning to get a thigh one this year when it's exactly how I want it.
    Show me yours?
  • astral_baby
    astral_baby Posts: 180 Member
    Are tattoos still a thing?

once they're a thing, they're always a thing

or a weird scar, right? idk. I'd never get mine removed. no regrets! only God can judge me! Death before dishonor! <3 Mom
  • astral_baby
    astral_baby Posts: 180 Member
    Ok iv not got it yet it's been a long agonising decision on whether to get 1 or not. Been terrified I'l get 1 and hate it and be stuck with it. But.. .....im getting 1 for my mother who passed 2 years ago so I'l definitely never regret it.

Gona get it on the inside of my wrist, will this be particularly painful ?? I'm guessing yes.

How do you manage to stay completely still while getting a tat? I'm worried I'l flinch with the pain lol

I ain't the best drawer but I want to kind of design my tat, I have a fair idea in my mind of what id like but unsure if I'l be able to draw it. Do you design it with the tattoo artist? Do you tell them your idea and they do their interpretation? Lots of questions id be grateful of any advice.

Thanks in advance

you will be surprised how still you can be. your body will immediately respond with endorphins etc., you'll be on high alert, and you'll be able to be quite still.

I recommend you tell a tattoo artist your idea and then work with one who creates his or her own stencils.