C25K - Treadmill. What level?

Options
Hi all. I want to start the C25K challenge as i think my fitness levels will now cope with it. Ive downloaded it to my ipod and i want to start tomorrow. Does it really work for people? Can you really run a 5K no stopping after only 9 weeks?

However, i have body issues and dont particulary want to run in the street or the park. I will however gladly run at the gym, where i couldnt care less what people think of the fatty running on the treadmill. (They are probably suprised that fat people can run!!) :noway:

Anyone done the C25K on the treadmill? and if so how did you find it. I just dont know what levels to do the walking and what levels to run on. I wasnt sure if treadmill levels differed in speeds on different treadmills - anyhow at my gym we use the Precor treadmills.

Can anyone shed any more light on my challenge?

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Bump- I'm interested in answers to this too. I was considering C25K but I definitely do not want to be running outside and would use the treadmill too!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm not quite ready yet, but getting there. and I don't really want to be out in the street where people I know will see me. I have a hard enough time just walking in the neighborhood still. (I do it anyway, but am very self-concious.)
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do C25K on the treadmill and yes, you really will be able to do a 5K! I have done two and am only at week 5, but I haven't run the whole 5K yet. I walk at about 3mph and I have found that I can run for a long time at 5mph. I discovered this just by playing with the speed on the treadmill and pushed it up til I had to run. It's a great program, and I love that I can repeat a day if I feel like I'm not ready to move on.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to the forums! I have done the C25K on the treadmill not once, but twice. And yes, you will be capable of running a 5K after nine weeks -- if you don't try to go too fast. I have a Precor treadmill so hopefully our speeds will be the same. I did the walking portions at 3.5 and the jogging portions at 4.1. I had tried to do the running portions at 5.3 and found that I just couldn't carry on when the running portions were extended. My thinking was to do a 5K first at 4.1, then gradually increase the speed by .2 and by adding two minutes every fourth workout. It worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you. Good luck! Let me know how you make out :flowerforyou:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 this week and I've been doing it on a treadmill. I do it at 3.5 mph walking and 5.0-5.5 jogging. I usually increase the speed for the last 30 seconds of jogging each time.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I started C25k a few weeks ago and do all my jogging on a treadmill (ran for 30 whole minutes today!). As far as I know, on most treadmills, the level is actually MPH (level 3 = 3mph, level 4=4mph, etc).
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the C25K treadmill version. I CAN NOT run but this program is awesommmme and really gets you to the level that you can actually run. Here is the treadmill version.
    There is a treadmill version
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I would suggest using a speed that keeps your heart rate up but one that you can do the whole day's program with. Good luck! I found a really good hip hop podcast that you can download to your ipod if you want it!
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a C25K graduate, so I can say for sure that the program works. I think it's easier to do outside, since the beginning weeks have a lot of short intervals that are a bit annoying on the treadmill, but it works on any running surface.

The trick on the treadmill is to find the right speeds for you. The walking intervals should feel fast (when I got stuck inside b/c of weather, I did the at 4.0) and the running intervals should feel comfortable for at least 30 seconds. In the beginning, since you're only running for 60 second intervals, it's hard to tell if the speed is "comfortable". I might try running at 5.5 mph if you are an absolute beginner and slow it down if you need to on the later intervals. The beauty of C25K is that you can always slow down if you need, just don't stop running.

As for treadmill speeds, they should be the same for every treadmill. Some will feel different, but that's mostly due to the age of treadmill. Older treadmills (with more wear) have less bounce, which simply feels different on your body.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K today and just set my treadmill at a comfortable walking speed. I would try it out and see what works best for you. I figured if I could walk comfortably, I could run at that speed too. It worked well for me.
  • sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am going to try it tomorrow and see how i get on. Is it good for calorie burn? For those of you who use HRM what kinda numbers did you see in the beginning? level 1 and 2?
  • eills44
    eills44 Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi, I am only on day 3 week1, and I can comfortably do 3.6mph walking and 4.4mph jogging(well maybe not "comfortably" lol), and have also done jogging at 4mph if not feeling too good xx Its just to your own comfortable level hun, as everyone says, eventually I am hoping to be faster, but there is no rush, every minute jogging is a massive bonus to me xxx Good luck hun, its a fab app xx
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you eventually plan on running outdoors I would recommend setting your treadmill at a 1% to 1.5% incline. I have heard from various people that this helps mimic more life like conditions. That may or may not be true. But from a body mechanics stand point running on a treadmill and running outdoors is a completely different animal.

As far as pace, let your body help you decide what is correct. If you are so winded you can not finish a section then you are going to fast. If one seemed ridiculously easy kick the speed up next time. Running a 5k is a great goal to set, but the end product should be a healthier you.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering this myself.. i've been walking 3.5 and running at 5-5.5 and wondering if that was fast enough but it seems i'm not the only one who is doing that.