How much cardio is too much?

Options
Trying to gain some muscle but I also want to be careful not to gain fat and I want to be heart healthy.

I do cardio kickboxing 4x a week and run 3 miles once a week. Not much for most runners but I'm not a runner by any means.

Do I need to cut any of this cardio?
I also lift 4-5x a week and eat 2400 calories a day.

5'9" 143 lbs

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle without gaining some fat, unless you're going for recomp?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How much cardio is too much?
    • If it stops you achieving the calorie balance you are aiming for, but then that's really because you aren't eating enough to support what is a moderate amount of cardio.
    • If lifting is your primary goal and your cardio causes performance issues or recovery issues.

Personally I would prioritise:
    • Training effectively (what is your 4 or 5 times a week routine?)
    • Eating enough. 2,400 isn't a lot for an active man.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the year I was 171. I went on a strict diet and lose 30 pounds. All while adding the cardio kickboxing. I was always lifting even when I was on the heavy side but I always had a layer of fat over my body especially my midsection.

My biggest fear is gaining that visceral belly fat that looks like cellulite. I cannot ever let myself go back to that.

So I understand I need more calories to add muscle and I know good calories from bad so I'm just confused if I want to up them do I add things like bread and pasta back into my diet which I basically eliminated?

I also do the cardio because I enjoy it. Especially the kickboxing and I feel healthier than I've ever been. Which is sad considering I'm 41.

Thanks
  • sijomial
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I know good calories from bad

Huh? Good units of energy versus bad units of energy?
    Calories =/= either food or nutrition, they are just calories.

Eat the overall diet that matches your nutritional needs and by the way - you are actually allowed to enjoy your food too.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has talked about calorie balance, but I'd also factor in recovery as well. Remember that you build muscle during recovery. If you don't give your body a breather, it's going to hinder that process.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is gaining that visceral belly fat that looks like cellulite. I cannot ever let myself go back to that.

Visceral "belly" fat is deep, around your organs and leads to that tight hard bloated belly look... if it looks like cellulite it's subcutaneous fat. Visceral is much worse for your health.
  • HvymetalMG
    Options
    It's so confusing Sometimes.

A calorie is a calorie? I would think 250 calories from fruits and veggies is better than 250 calories from a Snickers bar, no?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

A calorie is a calorie? I would think 250 calories from fruits and veggies is better than 250 calories from a Snickers bar, no?

the macros will be different but its still the same calorie wise and for weight loss it makes no difference. and a snickers has fat,protein and carbs. the fruits and veggies wont have much fat or protein,but doesnt make the snickers bar better. you can make the snickers bar fit into a healthy diet. your body is going to break it all down into fuel,the difference is the fruits and veggies will be broken down slower due to the fiber where the snickers bar will break down faster as it has very little if any fiber.
  • AObravo123
    AObravo123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Any.
  • sijomial
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yes a calorie is a calorie - like all units of measurement they are identical.
    Like you can't have a good mile or a bad mile or a different mile - they are just measurements.

Is the nutrition different from food A or food B - yes of course.

To be honest I now get an insight into your other post about people saying you are "too skinny" - it's not just your weight that is influencing their comments.
  • HvymetalMG
    Options
    What else is influencing it?
  • sijomial
    Options
    What else is influencing it?

"My biggest fear is gaining that visceral belly fat that looks like cellulite."

"I know good calories from bad"

"do I add things like bread and pasta back into my diet which I basically eliminated?"

• HvymetalMG
    Options
    Don't think my asking this group questions and stating some of my concerns or paranoia makes people think I'm too skinny.

Just trying to gauge what I need to do to meet goals and not revert
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a tool. It is a tool to burn calories. Just keep in mind that the human body becomes very efficient at tasks that it does often. So, with time, you will need to do more cardio just to reach the 'calories burned' that you reached previously.

But, what is your goal? Sounds like keeping body fat away while gaining muscle is the goal? If you are bulking then you will increase body fat. Just how that works (because you are eating in a surplus).

Now, do not misunderstand - cardio is really good for your heart. Being in good cardiovascular shape is indeed important. But, again, what is your goal? And, within that goal, what are your priorities?

The answer to those questions should help you to find your answer.....
  • DetectiveCookieMonster
    Options
    Well, I'm ashamed.

I'm. 5'3" woman and my starting weight was 143lbs :|

You're either very slim or I was extremely obese.

And I already know the answer lol.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm ashamed.

I'm. 5'3" woman and my starting weight was 143lbs :|

You're either very slim or I was extremely obese.

And I already know the answer lol.

He's very slim