Where to start.

Options
Hello I am wanting to get back in shape and looking to get in the gym and lose weight but also tone up and build muscle would like to lose about 100 lbs .. but I have no clue where to start like work out plan or diet plan or supplement the whole 9 yrds any motivation or pointers on where to start I would greatly appreciate it.. and anyone that wants to kick my butt and push me I’d love the motivation lol

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just start logging. Read the stickied posts in the forums. Analyze your log to see how many calories you are over goal and where you are wasting calories. You can really eat whatever you want, but since you mentioned fitness you want to focus on eating nutritious food and getting enough protein, fat, and fiber.

Other than possible newbie gains, it is not likely you will consistently lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. But getting enough protein and doing a progressive strength training program can help you preserve muscle while you are losing. Cardio can be a good way to buy some more calories if you're into it.

You don't need supplements unless you have blood work done and your doctor suggests it.

Be patient, learn from your bad days, and good luck :drinker:
  • jswyatt42
    jswyatt42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you for the information I just feel like if I walked into the gym I would feel lost on what to do lol
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jswyatt42 wrote: »
    Yes thank you for the information I just feel like if I walked into the gym I would feel lost on what to do lol

Start with a body weight routine you can do at home. Google Nerd Fitness, You Are Your Own Gym, and Convict Conditioning.

Lots of gyms offer a free session with a PT when you sign up, and they work with people who are nervous to be at the gym all the time. So you shouldn't feel like an idiot, but I know that's easier said than done. Don't take on too much all at once, start with your diet and maybe taking walks. Then when you're ready tweak the diet a little more and add some strength trainining!
  • Bereuribea
    Bereuribea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jswyatt42 wrote: »
    Hello I am wanting to get back in shape and looking to get in the gym and lose weight but also tone up and build muscle would like to lose about 100 lbs .. but I have no clue where to start like work out plan or diet plan or supplement the whole 9 yrds any motivation or pointers on where to start I would greatly appreciate it.. and anyone that wants to kick my butt and push me I’d love the motivation lol

You need courage. First of all.
    I got sick of my weight..and within a couple of days i found myself enjoying a new lifestyle.
    The hard part is to start.. so you are on the right path. Good luck!
  • jswyatt42
    jswyatt42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m not really scared to go to the gym I use to go at 530am to play basketball with a bunch of guys but had kids and just let everything go and got super lazy.. but I want to get back in shape and instead of playing basketball I want to get into weights and working out just don’t know where to start
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    A good life plan for fitness includes eating, weight training and cardio.

Eating is by far the most important piece of the puzzle. Get set up with mfp, determine your targets and then do it!
    Planning your meals is critical, and develop good eating habits stack the odds in your favor.

The weight training and cardio portions shouldn't be ignored, but are more difficult to address in the limited space provided! For now get yourself used to getting some form of both, educate yourself and make sure your training program fits your goals. It is pointless to go and start throwing weights around!