Is it okay to go over your calories some days?

Options
Obviously it will slow things down, but...
I binged today, 500 cals over maintenance. I was 500 cals under yesterday, so theoretically I should be maintaining, right? But is that actually how it works? And does cycling like this have any effect on your metabolism?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's how it works and no it has no impact on your metabolism.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cycling like this is fine.. look at your overall calories weekly.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    yes, exactly how it works
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA- don't worry about it- it is called being human- at least you logged it and you made yourself accountable- I do not call that a binge either- next time do a little less and keep going!
  • oreo_cookies_1992
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Is there a way to check your weekly calories or do you have to manually do it? Thanks!
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Is there a way to check your weekly calories or do you have to manually do it? Thanks!

Im not sure if the premium does it or not. I believe you have to manually add it up.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    that is how it works.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I believe its called Calorie banking. Most I know save the for the weekends or that one day you feel like crap. Its not so much "weekly" you have to look out for but long range plans in general. Weekly is a better way to keep track of it. Just be careful with it. I wouldn't recommend it in the beginning but wait awhile to get a good grip how your body reacts to the new diet. Good luck! Add me if you need anything!
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yes....from your food diary tap calories remaining and you will go to a different screen with all kinds of tabs

Op as you can see from the pic I saved some calories for Friday...it's all about the weekly averages for me
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    I don't even want to know how far over my calories I went today. Lol. It was our annual neighbourhood BBQ and it's a great time. I enjoyed great food and friends and will get right back on track tomorrow. Life is balance. You have to indulge sometimes.

Same. I plugged 2500 cals for dinner last night and will be back on the wagon today.
  • sonarbabe
    sonarbabe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I splurge on a treat after dinner. Last night was baaaad. Reese's pumpkins with chocolate ice cream and a brownie base. Delicious, but so bad for me. Going to do better today!
  • kumardoc
    kumardoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Threads like this make me feel so good! I usually have a takeaway every 2 weeks or so. The problem the portions are quite big and I end up eating it over 2 meals. Coupled with a few drinks I am sometimes 700 C over. But I log it and move on. I'm pretty close (3 lbs, more of vanity weight) to my "target" weight, I just tell myself It it will just take a little bit longer and carry on!