South Beach Diet... quick question for anyone who knows abou

I just started the South Beach Diet today. I've been following all the rules for phase one all day, and I just have a question. If I have extra calories left over, would it hurt horribly to alter my intake away from the way that South Beach tells me to do things to have a few drinks with a girlfriend tonight? Or would that destroy the purpose of it? I still have around 800 calories left in my day before dinner...

Replies

• I am never successful cutting out alcohol completely (hmm maybe underlying problem haha) so if it were me, I would go for it but stick to vodka w/ club soda and some lime wedges. And steer clear of a place that puts chips and salsa out on the table
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    diet coke and vodka...but I think those rules only apply if you have been doing the program longer than 2 weeks....
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    I think the point of the first phase of the SB Diet is to get rid of your body's cravings for sugar & carbs. So if you are really serious about sticking to the SB plan, then yes, it probably wouldn't be a very good idea.

I'm all about moderation, so normally I would say, go have a drink or two. But again, the point of the first phase is to teach your body to stop craving/needing certain foods.

Hope that helps!

(I've read that book like 3x, btw!)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    yeah, Phase 1 is no alcohol, so if you are sticking to South Beach, any variance from that would not be allowed, but if you are just a reasonable person who is making some healthy changes and a couple of drinks fits into your calorie allowance, go for it:happy: :drinker:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Yeah, I think if you are trying to get the benefits of phase 1, I wouldn't. Phase 1 is designed for rapid weight loss (to get you excited and motivated to stay with it) and to get you used to the idea of limited carbs.

However, the one time I did it I couldn't hack Phase 1 and started with Phase 2 (and then didn't stick with it long).
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Thank you all. I just feel like if I deny things if I have the calories for them, it might not end well, and I'll end up binging at some point.