cheat day

Options
I know ideally I wouldn't do cheat days. But do any of you do one or have motivation/tips on how to get away from cheat days?

Replies

• dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror. Not wanting to risk your results may motivate a bit.

Also depends on the type of diet but most have ways you can get sweets and chips and such. Bodybuilders use "refeed days" as part of most diets.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've tried alot of diets and every single time I "fell off the wagon".... it was after a cheat day.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them. If they happen, I just remember to start fresh the next day. Some people swear by them.....I could go months without them to be honest.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just plan ahead. I don't think it's reasonable to eat clean 100% of the time. As another commenter mentioned, eat at a reasonable deficit. Also, don't beat yourself up if you go a few calories over for the day. Make it up the next day. It's all about moderation.
  • savannahfirebolt
    Options
    Cheating is for the weak! You just have to be strong and commit! Remember you can go back to enjoying your favorite food in moderation once you hit your goal.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a treat day every week. Sunday lunch is whatever I feel like and sometimes a chocolate or other sweet treat in the evening. Works for me nearly 2.5 years maintaining.

I specifically call it Treat not Cheat as I don't like the connotation of "cheat meal" Im not cheating .. lol
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Cheat days ? Get rid of this saying.

Every day is a choice day, you choose to calorie count or not you choose how many carbs, you choose everything.

Last night I had a curry, 1/2 a bottle of red and 100g of 70% dark chocolate oh and about 50g of Camembert.
    My choice
    I follow a low carb diet & I exercise,
    Curry = low carb
    No rice
    Red wine 6g
    Chocolate 27g
    Cheese 0.2g

This morning I'm still in ketosis
    Happy days
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of full "cheat" days. I have a higher calorie meal about once a week. It's planned and I cut out some calories each day to account for it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cheating is for the weak! You just have to be strong and commit! Remember you can go back to enjoying your favorite food in moderation once you hit your goal.

Many people find they can enjoy their favorite foods in moderation even before hitting their goal too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" everyday. What some deem as "bad" food, really don't realize that the body DOESN'T have any idea about source food comes from. It just breaks down any food to it's simplest form. There is food that is more nutritionally dense than others, but there's lots of "bad" food that isn't lagging in nutrition. Might be higher in calories though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I track my calories daily but I am only interested in my weekly average. I know I go out to eat for lunch and dinner every Friday so I save calories the other days of the week. So it's not really a "cheat"
    day because I've planned and logged it and I still hit my weekly numbers.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within my calories, but there are a couple of days where I'm less interested in nutrient-dense foods than in 'eating what tastes good in quantities I can manage'. Fancy way of saying I don't worry about hitting my protein or iron and go overboard on carbs. So... cheat on macros goals, not calorie goals, I guess?

I did that for three days last week (Jewish New Year, leading into Sabbath), but that was in part due to having five meals out and being a vegetarian among omnivores. There was plenty to eat, but in most cases, it was a lot of sides and salads without much protein. But delicious sides and salads, and I ate more moderately than I would have in years past. (Scale showed me as up 0.2 lbs this morning, but that could have happened regardless and I took a maintenance break last week knowing what was coming up.)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

This is completely inaccurate. I'm the strongest person I know and I wouldn't have been able to meet my goal if I hadn't had my cheat days/meals. Not only did I meet goal but I surpassed it and am leaner and fitter than I've ever been. That being said, if you really REALLY want something, HAVE IT. More often than not you'll end up eating everything else til you get it and be worse off.
  • janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I plan my day around a fancy meal out, movie night with my husband(always a snacking time), coffee nights with friends, and eating at my parents. I eat a large salad on these days(minimal calories), lots of fruit, or veggies. Then i keep my cal count in check and eat within my boundaries. If i make a mistake with calorie estamating and go over, i make it up with excercise or by staying 100 cal below for a few days.