Unsupportive household

Options
I have been trying to get my life together. I am so uncomfortable in my own body and have never felt this bad about myself or my life. I weight 300 lbs. and am disgusting. I try to get my husband to make changes with me, but he just doesn't seem to care. Is there others out there that are struggling from lack of support at home? How are you handling it?

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am. I have been logging my food for 77 days (for the third time) and it's very hard doing it on my own. (Making food for others, myself, logging, someone supportive) I have talked about it many times (need for support) but it's not cared about. It's triggering me lately, and don't feel the support network I need is with my husband. It's getting to the point of needing to put myself first over everyone else...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you had a little sister who was overweight would you motivate her by telling her how terrible and disgusting she is?

No one is encouraged to change by being yelled at. From now on I want you to treat yourself as a beloved little sister.

Set small weekly goals for yourself and find an accountability partner to whom you can share your weekly goal. Once a week review, kindly, how well you did. Repeat what worked and adjust what didn't.

Repeat.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The world doesn't stop turning because you've changed a behavior. Cook what you want to eat, be reasonable with compromise when cooking for the both of you, don't buy food that you don't feel you have control or moderation with and if he buys it lock it in a separate area of pantry or part of the house. Most of all, when it comes to ANY change do it quietly and subtlety. If you don't make a huge deal about getting healthy you won't find resistance to it from others. Example, just one day I stopped putting cream and sugar in my coffee, was I asking my husband to do the same, no, did I save myself a couple hundred calories (I drink 4 cups) by the end of the day, yes. Much luck to you!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that for me the hardest part about making those first steps to losing weight & being more active, was always the lack of encouragement from my then-mate. It was like he acknowledged my efforts "wow you go walking every night now!" and was kind of nice about it, but then I felt like after a year or so, I was only a little bit lighter (maybe 10 lb in a year that first year) and he seemed to think "lot of good that did you", even though he didn't say anything to that effect, it just felt like my then-husband and a lot of my girlfriends were so nonplussed by the minor changes I was enjoying. At some point you have to just want it FOR YOU and appreciate even the smallest improvements, losses, etc. That is when it all changes. Don't care about what others think and care about what YOU think and how you feel. It's definitely 100% worth it.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't have lack of support, but I do have conflicting health needs with my future husband.

See, a lot of "healthy" foods are actually pretty bad for him because he can't process things quite right. Furthermore, he needs to keep high-calorie snack foods around because he needs to maintain at the higher end of a healthy body fat percentage, or else he ends up at risk of starving to death when his illness flares. My needs, on the other hand, are much more typical, and I'm trying to reach the low end of healthy body fat percentage.

Yes, it's difficult. But we manage to make it work, and a lot of it is just down to how we think - for example, he can't eat a lot of vegetables? That's okay! More for me, then! It's easy to feel like you're not allowed to cook something at all if you're the only one who's going to eat it, but that's not true. There's no law against it. Make your healthy side dishes, and if your family doesn't want them, then it's more for you.

Another trick is that we use my celiac disease as a tool to designate the high-calorie snacks to be for him and only for him - what we keep around for him is Kit-Kats and Crunch bars and other snacks that would make me very sick if I stole them. Eliminates temptation completely - no snack is worth that!

Finally, remember, there's pretty much no food that won't fit in a healthy diet in the right portions. If someone insists on having something heavy as a family dinner, it's okay to have it - just take a smaller portion. It'll be more filling than it looks; you just have to retrain yourself to recognize that (using a smaller plate helps with this part).
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think I am finally truly accepting that this is my journey. It's a solitary venture. It's helps if the people around you are on board for sure, but it's not their job to hand hold us through this. It's on us. It's my job to get my *kitten* together.

I came home from a work trip this week to find my all time favorite cookies on the counter. I was pissed but it's on me to not eat them. I tossed them in the cupboard but would it make me a dick to throw them away?

There is nothing wrong with putting yourself first. Embrace that! You deserve it. Don't fall into the trap that because you are a wife and mother you don't get to come first sometimes.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My household is not super supportive. I've found I have to make changes 100% for me, without any expectation that they'll work for others. I compromise a lot. It's hard. But you're not alone. I lean on my MFP friends a lot.
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about it much at home yet. I have the feeling that when I lose enough weight to be noticeable, my husband will jump on board and lose his weight super fast like he always has. So I need a head start! For meals, I'm just trying to make normal food but include another veggie or a soup just for me.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Here's the truth: You don't need his support. Do this for you. Your failures AND your successes belong to you and no one else.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    My husband wasn't on the journey with me either. He didn't have to be; it was my journey.
    He was supportive in that when he cooked he ensured there were plenty of veggies for me to choose from. When I cooked I ensured that there was plenty of meat and potatoes for him to choose from and extra veggies for myself.
    The thing is that there is a way of making it work for both of you. You can both eat the same meals but in different proportions, depending on your individual goals.
    Your husband is supportive. He isn't on a calorie reduced eating plan, though, and doesn't need to be.
    You've got this. You take care of your dietary needs. You can do this. Don't give up.
  • rba910
    rba910 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks there’s something wrong if you don’t eat : he’s overweight also. I’ve gained 30 pounds since we married. How can I let someone make me feel guilty for not eating?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    rba910 wrote: »
    My husband thinks there’s something wrong if you don’t eat : he’s overweight also. I’ve gained 30 pounds since we married. How can I let someone make me feel guilty for not eating?

What do you mean "if you don't eat" and "not eating"? If you aren't eating regularly, that IS a problem. Maybe I'm just confused by what you mean.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    rba910 wrote: »

What do you mean "if you don't eat" and "not eating"? If you aren't eating regularly, that IS a problem. Maybe I'm just confused by what you mean.

I assume she means that according to his standard/ideas of what a portion is to look like.

OP - I have the verbal support of my spouse, but he does still bring home the foods that he wants to eat, and that I have a hard time controlling. But that's on me. If there is no room for me to eat the chips or drink the beer, then it is my choice to not eat them or to eat them. It's not his job to "diet" with me. He works a physical job and needs cheap fuel to have the energy to do so. I wouldn't tell him to stop bringing them home, that would be sad.

I do most of the cooking at home, so I cook what I want to eat and what makes sense for me. He eats what I make, and will supplement his diet accordingly.

I get up to go to the gym at 4:30 am. I don't expect him to get up with me. I do expect him to allow me the chance to go to bed a bit early (usually by 10) so I'm not exhausted. If he wants to lay in bed with me and watch Netflix on his phone while I sleep... I don't argue with that as long as it isn't disturbing me. I do my very best to sneak out super quietly in the morning so I don't wake him up. I also don't expect him to work out at all, because that's his choice. He's not unhealthy, and I work out for me.

Anyway... not having the support of your household can certainly be draining. But if you do put yourself first, decide what you're going to do and then do it... you'll be fine. You don't need anyone else to toot your horn and motivate you - once you have built up some habits, you can rely on those.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Do this for yourself!!!! Hang in there, you have all the strength you need.