Lightbulb moment...buh bye WW!

Options
Sorry, I am copying this from my blog, but wanted to share here too!

So, I signed up for Myfitnesspal but have been still following Weight Watchers. My meetings are on Saturday mornings. My ritual is to go to McDonalds after weigh in for a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit and 2 hasbrowns, then it is a pigfest for the weekend using my 49 weekly points. Sure, I lose weight because I have so much to lose. But I am sitting here feeling like crud, and craving more and more food.

So, my lightbulb moment...I need to eat well, I need to break away from the mentality that I can eat what I want after weigh-in because I have new weeklies. So, I quit Weight Watchers officially today! It is scary though. I feel like I am losing a lifeling friend (with a love/hate relationship). I feel scared and alone. Silly, isn't it? But when you have spent 15 years on and off WW, only to gain 140 pounds, it is tough. Time to pull up my big girl panties and realize I am doing this for me!

Plus, I have found that this site offers all the support I need.

Thank you!

Replies

• deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I stopped WW too. My reason was it was unbearable for me to listen to other people talk about how the eat their food. IE: syrup on veggies. I mean really? lol Plus I only lost like 10 pounds in 16 weeks. Wasn't working out for me. This site is fabulous and I love the people here! I hope this helps you more then WW!
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Options
    Goodluck on your journey :) this site has been amazing for me so far!!
  • jennyrowell
    jennyrowell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I stop WW too...Also quit working for them!!! This is great and FREEEEEEE!!!!!
    I had the same light bulb moment!! No, WW did help me lose 60 pounds. It is a great program... BUT after 8 years I needed a change!!! Hmmm... 29 PP or 1260!!!
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    congratulations! you can do it and this is just the site that will get you to your goals. :wink:
    good luck!!!!!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! I love this site for the support! The thing I used to like ww for was that it was easy to just know what the points were and go about my day. What I now like is that doing MFP I am actually learning about nutrition, and I can make better choices! It really does set you free! The thing about the programs like ww is that they make $$ on you being overweight, so when you walk back in they are happy. This is free, and educational!
  • TheRaven2011
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do think WW is a great program, but it's time for me to break free.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also quit WW and joined MFP. I was able to play games with the points and was eating way more than my body needed. I am very happy with my progress on MFP. It is truly forcing me to make smart and hard decisions about what I am putting in my body and that is what I need. Good luck!
  • lilcrittert
    Options
    This is off the WW topic but in regards to your eating lifestyle. I've been right where you are. Once you get off of processed food and break the addiction to carbs and additives, you will find it much easier to lose the weight and keep it off. I would recommend watching "Super Size Me" to help change your thinking about fast foods and processing. Then I would suggest getting off of all diet foods and filling your body with healthy natural choices. Eat plenty of fruit to help curb your addiction to sugar then taper it off. Surround yourself with good MFP friends that are uplifting and not downers and set some small doable goals for yourself. You can do this!!! Reaching out for help and advice is the first step in recovery!
  • kymberlee45
    Options
    I agree with the others....this site is wonderful! I also quite weight watchers. I just began but I see already that I really appreciate all of the chatting of people on this site.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Well done, you'll be fine. So much support here, and unlike WW you can come here for help and some supportive chat whenever you like - and I personally find that I'm not trying to squeeze rubbish into my diet (as much) as I did with WW - not sure why that is - but it works - there's people with incredible results here without WW charges:-)
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My mother is on WW .. and it it was something she could do .. so it helped (NOT worked for) her. I have talked to her about the "rules" and this points things .. and I just don't get it aside from the fact that it makes you more accountable for what you eat. It doesn't teach you to eat properly .. but at least you have a system to account for what you do eat.

(Yes, I am not a big fan of WW .. sorry)

I think, if you embrace MFP and the users here .. you will not miss WW and you will likely do more and better things here than you would have there.

Welcome!
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight with w.w. to me, its the best program out there. I became lifetimevin January. My husband found this site last week. I love how I could go back to tracking online again
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I like some things about WW, but the people who ran our meetings bragged about how they lost all their weight without exercise. When everything become about the scale, and not about improving your life, it's wierd and wrong, a different WW.

I just couldn't do it any more. They knew I was a trainer, so when I went to the meetings, they would mention exercise once in a while. The only time they really addressed exercise was when they said, "just do what you liked to do when you were a kid. If you like skipping rope, do that. Soccer? do that" Really??????? I live in a retirement town. There are a lot of people who would end up in the hospital if they did those things right off the bat. Anyway, I just couldn't listen to it any more.

Good luck to you!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I struggled with WW also. When I had started I was eating between 1200-1500 calories a day all whole foods and had lost about 50lbs. Then to meet my points requirements I started adding in a bunch of junk. Everyone kept telling me I needed to eat all my points regardless of being hungry or not and I started putting back weight I had lost. Unfortunately it took me a while (and 60lb gain back) before I found this site.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    The weightwatchers is definitely a temporary thing to help you lose weight only while you are doing it but yah I always preach eating and living a Healthy Lifestyle or you can "wait" and "watch" while other people are tackling this obesity issue or you can take the bull by the horns. :smile: It sounds like you are ready to take that bull. Good luck in your journey my dear!
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    Sorry I know it has nothing to do with your post but now I have "My spoon's too big!'' stuck in my head from looking at your profile picture. :laugh:
  • sroutley
    sroutley Posts: 11
    Options
    I quit WW too....this site is like the WW online package except its FREE and looks at your nutrition (I would waste my points on junk)!! With WW i was loosing and gaining the same 7lb's over 4 years so like you realised its up to me and with no excuses having this on my phone...its great. Good luck!!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    oh:( Bacon Egg and Cheese biscuits are my favorite.. sigh :( I haven't had one of those in so long, mainly due to that I'm not awake early enough to get them LOL

Personally I was never a member of WW But I was in Form You 3 I think it was afew years in high school :\ How cool is that to have to go to meeting about dieting and stuff and you're still in school etc, never worked for me because I always lied about what I ate it was too easy. And I always got stuck on the "stricter" diet plan because I didn't lose like what 7 pounds in the first week or whatever it was.

Now I've gotten older, and more mature and I see what I'm doing to myself. If I eat a cheeseburger, I'm gonna write it down. It helps me to become more accountable to myself and this time I want to be accountable.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :] We can cry over our missed beloved sandwiches :laugh:
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing WW and fitnesspal in conjunction. I struggle with the fast that I get less calories on here than the equivalent in points. I'm considering dropping points altogether on Sunday (weigh in day).
  • bjalter
    bjalter Posts: 43
    Options
    Add me to the long list of people who quite WW when they joined MFP. I've been having much better success here (24 pounds in 2 months). WW is essentially a good program, but the leaders are a mixed bag (many aren't very good), and I was going crazy listening to the same 2 yentas dominate the meeting each week. I've found the community support on MFP to be even better than what I had at WW. Also, I got very turned off to the way WW hawks all those unhealthy (and overpriced) snacks. I'm going to use the $40/month of WW fees I'm saving to pay for a data plan for my new iPhone 5 (if it ever gets released), so I can use the MFP app wherever I am. For now I'm stuck using my desktop computer and my ipod (when I can get a wifi signal)

btw, MFP works very well, but you still MUST educate yourself about how to eat healthy (e.g., lean protein, whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc.). For a great read, try Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilimma" and "Food Rules".