Should I have a 2 lb a week weight loss until my goal weight?

Options
I eat about 2000 calories a day now and with my time at the gym and work, that gets me a nice 1000 calorie deficit. But I noticed as I lose weight when I recalculate my tdee, my deficit gets smaller and smaller if I don’t decrease my calorie budget. At some point soon it’ll be a pound and a half a week and then soon after a pound a week.

Is this what I should be going for or should I decrease calories and maintain my large deficit?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You will have to accept that maximum possible deficit will decrease and that your loss will slow down as you lose weight. You can't, and shouldn't try, to "fix" that by eating less (than you do now).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I came to a similar conclusion a while back. Focus on eating around 2000 cals and let the weight loss be what it is. Seems to be working for me.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Too large a deficit on a lower fat base will make you lose muscle as well. You need to take that into account.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    No. You should and naturallywill decrease loss as you have less to lose. So 2 lbs when obease but 1 lb or less if overweight, 0.5 or less when normal weight getting to final goal. Rememberthe spanof your life should be long
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same, eating 2000 calories a day, which according to my exercise routine gets me 1.7 lbs per week (which I've been averaging). However, I know that will only be 1.3 lbs/week when I hit 200 lbs and so on.
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Deleted
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You generally want weight loss to slow down as you get closer to your goal weight. Once you have it in your sights, it might be a good idea to simply eat at whatever your goal maintenance will be, and it'll fall right into place.