Hello all! I need some help here. I can’t manage one full day without going over my calories (1,990)

Options

Replies

• KingPeasant
    KingPeasant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    You're eating too low. You're a big tall young guy. You're maintenance would likely be 2800-3500 or more depending on activity level.

Your BMR based on stats is 2360 from www.calculator.net. BMR is what your body burns if you are comatose.

eat at your BMR. So eat 2360 at least in a day NET. So if you exercise or do Intentional cardio, eat some or most of it back as well.

What's your activity level and exercise routine?

That's weird. But that's what MFP gave me as a calorie goal when I set up my account. I'm not sedentary as I'm a full-time college student and I work retail part time, so I'm walking on campus or in a store every single day for hours. That's the only exercise I get. MFP probably gave me 1,990 because I put in that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The nice thing about figuring out your maintenance calories is that it is a good reminder that the MFP number is a goal, not a limit. You can eat over your goal and still lose weight. I find averaging by week to be a good strategy, as I am really not interested in stressing over a couple hundred calories a day over or under. And if I eat up to maintenance for whatever reason, well, that's life and it happens. I still haven't gained weight.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Many of us have the late night snacking habit to break. It's a fight well worth undertaking. I've tried going to bed and reading instead of watching TV. That helps. It's also, though, a matter of will. If you can overcome it more and more often, you are succeeding. Don't fall into the trap of all-or-nothing and guilt. If you have a night where you just can't overcome the urge, analyze it. Consider it a learning experience not a failure. You are trying to teach yourself new habits and that's hard.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    How did you get 1,990 as your calorie goal? It seems low. How many calories do you go over your goal by usually?
    Are you sedentary for your daily activity level? Any exercise? If you got your goal from MFP you are supposed to log exercise and eat some of your exercise calories.
    I would think you could be eating over 2,000 calories and still be losing 1 lb a week. Try a smaller more sustainable deficit. Try something more like 2,300 without exercise and more if you exercise and see how you feel.

Try eating lighter during the day and saving more calories for later in the day.
    Plan your eating for the whole day. Plan an evening snack.
    Get enough protein, fats and fiber.

When I set up my MFP account, I put in my stats and that I was sedentary (which I am) and wanted to lose 2lbs a week. It gave me 1,990 as my goal. As for how many calories I go over...it depends. It's never the same! But I'm going to eat lighter during the day and see if that will help me stay within my goal in the evenings.

You're eating too low. You're a big tall young guy. You're maintenance would likely be 2800-3500 or more depending on activity level.

Your BMR based on stats is 2360 from www.calculator.net. BMR is what your body burns if you are comatose.

eat at your BMR. So eat 2360 at least in a day NET. So if you exercise or do Intentional cardio, eat some or most of it back as well.

That's weird. But that's what MFP gave me as a calorie goal when I set up my account. I'm not sedentary as I'm a full-time college student and I work retail part time, so I'm walking on campus or in a store every single day for hours. That's the only exercise I get. MFP probably gave me 1,990 because I put in that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week.

Not trying to be harsh here but in one post you called yourself sedentary and three minutes later you said you weren't sedentary....figuring that out maybe a good place to start
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Tell it 1 lb a week and active.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's unclear whether OP is sedentary or not, so why do you recommend active?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options

Did you read his work and school post above.

I agree with BusyRaeNOTBusty.

I think he is way under-eating and can't stick to it. Heck, I'm a 63 YO retired woman at 5'7" 140 and I eat about 2200. . . and that's not all that easy for me to stick with.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try targeting lowering your fat intake and eat more veggies to fill up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Did you read his work and school post above.

I agree with BusyRaeNOTBusty.

I think he is way under-eating and can't stick to it. Heck, I'm a 63 YO retired woman at 5'7" 140 and I eat about 2200. . . and that's not all that easy for me to stick with.

I read the work and school post, but when someone says they are sedentary but also claim to be walking all day, I guess I feel there is a bit more information to be gathered before declaring them active.

It's totally possible that OP is undereating.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    You feel deprived on keto? But keto worked? How bout intermittent keto?

Not to be a pain, but imho the reason the ketogenic diet works is because it puts the body into a state of ketosis. You can't get into ketosis doing intermittent keto, so carb cycling may be a strategy, but not really intermittent keto, as a lot of the high fat foods are also quite high calorie.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    You feel deprived on keto? But keto worked? How bout intermittent keto?

Not to be a pain, but imho the reason the ketogenic diet works is because it puts the body into a state of ketosis. You can't get into ketosis doing intermittent keto, so carb cycling may be a strategy, but not really intermittent keto, as a lot of the high fat foods are also quite high calorie.

You can absolutely do intermittent keto...what she was talking about wasn't eating more carbs, Intermittent Keto would be staying in your carbs levels, but eating in a specific time window...like eating for 8 hours, fasting for 16, often called 16:8. Still eating keto nutritionally.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Trust me you are not sedentary. Sounds more like 'active' if you're getting 8000-10000 steps a day. At least you're 'lightly active' fir sure. In that case you can eat 300 more and still lose 2lbs a week.

I can place a bet that you eat at 2300 and still lose 2lbs a week at least.
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When you feel hungry at night try a couple glasses of water instead. It's not foolproof however someone times when you feel like you need food your really just thirsty.
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and can speak from experience, at that weight you should loose weight on 2300 cal per day quite consistently. I suspect you are, at least in part, legitimately hungry. A higher target should be easier to hit and from there you can look at the results you are getting.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I’m 6’2”, 283lbs, 21 years old, and male. I’m trying to get to 200lbs. I did Keto for a while and got to where I am now from 300lbs. I just couldn’t keep with Keto because I felt I was depriving myself. So I figured I’d just start to count calories, but I eat so much every night! I don’t know why, but I just consume everything in my house! I do well during the day, so if I could get my nighttime eating under control, I really think I could lose this weight. Did anyone else overcome this problem? If so, how did you do it?

I am 6'2" tall, and started at 305 lbs. I set my calories at around 1650/day then ate back about 50-60% of my exercise calories over that first year. I managed to lose about 100 lbs that year and hit my goal in around 14 months. I can tell you it took exercising at least 5 days a week for 60+ minutes a day on top of the low calorie goal. But on days I did exercise I was able to burn up to 1000 calories, ate back around 600 of them, which put me around 2000 to 2200 calories a day. It worked well but it took determination. So if you're set at 1900 and can't stay at that goal, you are going to have to offset the extra calories some way. Either add exercise so that you can eat more and still lose weight, or change what you eat to lower calorie options so that you aren't hungry all the time. I never needed a special diet like keto, LCHF, etc. etc., CICO is all I needed. It can be done and you've got a good start, but it sounds like you are eating the wrong stuff and maybe aren't exercising regularly or enough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I’m 6’2”, 283lbs, 21 years old, and male. I’m trying to get to 200lbs. I did Keto for a while and got to where I am now from 300lbs. I just couldn’t keep with Keto because I felt I was depriving myself. So I figured I’d just start to count calories, but I eat so much every night! I don’t know why, but I just consume everything in my house! I do well during the day, so if I could get my nighttime eating under control, I really think I could lose this weight. Did anyone else overcome this problem? If so, how did you do it?

When I hear "I do well during the day" and "I eat so much every night" I think the person is actually undereating during the day and that is why their hunger feels uncontrollable at night.
    How did you get 1,990 as your calorie goal? It seems low. How many calories do you go over your goal by usually?
    Are you sedentary for your daily activity level? Any exercise? If you got your goal from MFP you are supposed to log exercise and eat some of your exercise calories.
    I would think you could be eating over 2,000 calories and still be losing 1 lb a week. Try a smaller more sustainable deficit. Try something more like 2,300 without exercise and more if you exercise and see how you feel.

Try eating lighter during the day and saving more calories for later in the day.

When I set up my MFP account, I put in my stats and that I was sedentary (which I am) and wanted to lose 2lbs a week. It gave me 1,990 as my goal. As for how many calories I go over...it depends. It's never the same! But I'm going to eat lighter during the day and see if that will help me stay within my goal in the evenings.

You're not sedentary, and that's one reason 1,990 is too low for you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    There is also the question of willpower. How badly do you want to lose weight? Do you want it enough to acquire the discipline to say no to nighttime binges? Willpower is like a muscle: the more you use it, the stronger it gets. You have to learn to say no to the craving for junk, no matter how hungry you think you are. It applies to the choices you make over and over during the day, not just what you eat and when, but whether or not you exercise and how hard you push yourself when you do. You have the power to make the right choices. But you have to choose to do so. Some days it's easy. Some days it's hard. It seems to get easier, the more you do it until making good choices becomes a habit. It's really up to you.
  • KingPeasant
    Options

Not trying to be harsh here but in one post you called yourself sedentary and three minutes later you said you weren't sedentary....figuring that out maybe a good place to start

I put sedentary in MFP, but I don't think I really am. I did that because I wasn't sure if that was considered exercise to MFP or not.
  • KingPeasant
    Options
    I changed my MFP goals. I put 'lightly active' instead of 'sedentary'. My updated calorie goal is 2,290. Does this sound more accurate? Thank you all for your help, by the way.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you know you tend to eat more at night, just skip breakfast and start eating lunch a bit later. That way, your limiting your eating window until late lunch and it will reduce your overall calories. Intermittent fasting works for alot of people in this sense. Try it. I eat one meal a day and I eat all my calories in one huge meal. Seems it's the only way to keep my calories in check. If I start with breakfast, I end up eating way over my daily Calories. Plus I really enjoy eating like a King for just that one meal.