Trying to lose weight with a crazy work scedule

Options
I recently took on working an overnight shift full time. My weight is stuck ! It's like I'm retaining fluids even though I'm eating only 1200-1600 cals per day. Could it be my new shift change? Does working over nights make you gain weight?? Please Help

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No, working different hours cannot make you gain weight.

How are you measurring what you're eating? Food scale? Measuring cups? Scanning labels? Have you introduced any new or more intense activity, which could make you retain water? How long is it since you lost weight?
  • wectmall
    wectmall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    for me---working at night and sleeping a portion of the day definitely messes with my weight. I am a flight attendant and work odd hours. But recently, I fly all night and come home and sleep for a few hours during the day. Whenever I am on a schedule like this, I have a hard time sticking to my calorie goals. If you are able to stick to your calories (which you say you are doing) I cannot imagine why you would be stuck other than water weight or hormones. I just cannot prevent overeating when I am lacking sleep. I know that I am not alone because all of my fellow coworkers complain about the same thing when they fly all night and try to sleep during the day.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Night work and shift work changes and sleep disturbance can stress people - that would affact cortisol levels and potentially weight loss. Give it a couple weeks to adjust and see how you do. And get enough sleep!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    I hated overnights. There's no amount of pay that would convince me to do that again.

Yes, your cortisol is probably out of whack, causing you to retain water. Lack of sleep can also make you hungrier and have less self control.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Awful. Try and switch if possible. And good luck to you.
  • Ni1428
    Ni1428 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, working different hours cannot make you gain weight.

How are you measurring what you're eating? Food scale? Measuring cups? Scanning labels? Have you introduced any new or more intense activity, which could make you retain water? How long is it since you lost weight?

I'm sticking to a basic, no fuss diet. I'm counting calories by plugging what I eat into mfp. I could be off by 100-200 cals a day but my fitbit is telling me I'm burning twice as much as I'm eating so I'm confused. This has worked for me before so that's why I'm wondering if the change in work hours is making a difference. Also I'm only getting about 5-6 hours of sleep. As far as working out, I just started back walking and jogging 3-4 times a week. I guess it could be a number of things.
  • Ni1428
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I hated overnights. There's no amount of pay that would convince me to do that again.

Yes, your cortisol is probably out of whack, causing you to retain water. Lack of sleep can also make you hungrier and have less self control.

The cortisol and stress factor are being brought up a lot and I believe I'm experiencing it big time! There is just no way I am this stuck with the amount of calories in and out each day. I'll give it a few more weeks and see if the plateaue breaks, then I'll repost an update. I'm going to work on my sleep too! Thanks for the good advice you guys!
  • mktom29
    mktom29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are stressed and your sleep schedule is preventing you from losing weight. Your body is using more calories and energy, so your body is preserving energy through weight so it can use that energy. You need to take good care of yourself- sleep, stress reduction, and taking breaks. If you don't do this, your body will stay right where it is.
  • Ni1428
    Options
    Thank you
  • Ni1428
    Options
    Quick Update: it seems my plateau is broken