New Help Transitioning from Weight Watchers

Blooberry25
Blooberry25 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2017 in Getting Started
I've lost 10 lbs on Weight Watchers but am now trying to switch to MFP for a few reasons, including wanting to more carefully watch carbs and have a better handle on nutrition. WW has points and I was assigned 30 points per day plus 40 extra that you can use as needed throughout the week. Fruits and veggies are "free". However, there is no breakdown of what these points mean. MFP assigned me 1200 points a day. It does not feel like nearly enough. Plus, I miss the flexibility built into WW. I'm looking for advice on switching to MFP. Also is there a way to fit in some flexibility? Thank you.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    edited September 2017
    When you exercise you get more calories to eat. Also I am assuming you picked to lose 2 lbs a week - unless you have a very large amount to lose you'd likely be better off with a less aggressive goal which will also give you more calories.

I would say the hardest part about transitioning from WW to MFP is WW is very loosey goosey about logging. Like if you get roughly something in your diary close to what you ate it is close enough and of course you don't even add fruits or veggies. With MFP there's more of a focus on accuracy and actually knowing how many calories you're truly eating to ensure you're eating at a deficit. That can be tough in the beginning - but just stick with it and it gets easier.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    A good way to be flexible is to look at your calories over the week, rather than the day.

As @Ready2Rock206 has said the 1200 you have been given is likely because you have chosen too aggressive a weight loss rate. It can be helpful to understand how your calorie allowance is calculated.

vyseudff1tg2.jpg
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2017
    1200 is low for most people, I'd agree with the others that if you have your desired loss rate at 2 lbs per week, change it to 1 lb or even 0.5 lb until you get settled. I found 1200 hard, but 1450 is perfectly manageable.

I'd also suggest that if you don't own a digital food scale, get one! It is absurdly easy to be eating more than you think if you measure "by eye" or in cups. Personally, I never go an any of the restrictive diets - low carb/no sugar/only whole foods whatever. Portion control works better for me - I eat what I like, just less of it. And I start adding in more nutrient dense foods.
  • leannan24
    leannan24 Posts: 11 Member
    I have been tracking here and using iTrackBites set to old ww points. It pretty much evens out to the same thing just another way to track set to lose 1.5lbs a week but since added exercise not seeing on the scale but clothes are getting more loose so know it's working.
    Main difference is not having the flex/extra points but the calories are spread over the full week and can get more with exercise!!! Friend me if you have questions