Acai Berries - do they work for weight-loss?

Options
I keep seeing adverts for Acai Berries. Apparently they help to shed weight. I'm quite curious, do they work?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - after buying the dries ones - no wonder they are so good for you, I couldn't count any calories because I couldn't even finish one mouthful, yuck yuck, yuck!! Give me blueberries over them any day! However, they are supposed to be good and I guess if there were just a few in a smoothie I'd live!
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i did the berry pill with a colon cleanser, supposed to do wonders for you, i lost the first week but that was it and it all came back with friends! don't waste your money!
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    nope.

Ha :ohwell:
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Should also say actually - not heard anything about weight loss in the UK from eating them - just a good source of anti-oxidants etc
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    Many thanks to all for the feedback so far.
    Think I'll save my money and give them a miss!
    I was curious because MFP advertises them on this site.
  • Sauni52
    Sauni52 Posts: 5
    Options
    I drink Acai juice and have taken the pills and they do not help lose weight as far as i am concerned. I enjoy the flavor and feel better knowing its healthier then most juices.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    well, they're very healthy (high in anthocyanins and flavonoids) so you should eat them anyway, but they won't make you magically lose weight. eating less and exercising more will make you magically lose weight ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing adverts for Acai Berries. Apparently they help to shed weight. I'm quite curious, do they work?
    Every time a new "discovery food" comes along, the band wagon of manufactuers jump on board to sell you the "hype" behind it. The use of Acai to tout "cleansing and losing weight" is a common advertisement that they with "hoodia" a couple of years back.
    Here's the scoop: eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight..................whether or not you take in Acai, hoodia, etc.
    There's no magic secret.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I take an acai berry pill with my vitamins but just for the antioxidants and energy. I couldn't tell you if it helps with weight loss but I like it as part of my supplements