OK I've been doing this about 3 weeks now and....

Options
I'm working on keeping this as up to date as possible. I started off slow, but I am now adding more exercise in, not perfect, but I'm trying. But my weight loss in a 5 week period has been 1 pound....SERIOUSLY??????? Yes I have cheated at times- week ends are the worst - but for goodness sake's I've been eating better than I have in a long time.

I also quit smoking cold Turkey July 5th. One of the reasons I really wanted to work on losing weight is so I don't gain a ton from quitting smoking. Is it because of the lack of nicotine in my system that is slowing my metabolism?

I need a good weight loss......please!

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me...I'm on daily and I'll do my best to motivate you. I'm currently doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred, though for me it will probably be the 60 day shred...hahaha! I'm really enjoying the workout!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Stay consistent and give it time. You'll start losing soon. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Blunt: If you want serious weight loss you have to get serious about your eating habits. There's nothing wrong with taking it slowly and making slow changes until you adjust but while you do that you can't expect to magically drop a bunch of weight because of minor changes. I quit smoking cold turkey in april - it doesn't slow your metabolism it just creates cravings. Quit giving into the cravings and you will see the results you want.
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    You are in diet mode. As soon as you adopt the thought that you are not on a diet and this is your life from now on, the losses will happen. Also cut the extras at weekend. Maybe allow yourself a couple of hundred cals for a extra treat but cheating yourself isn't the way to carry on. Note everything and look forward to earned goodies. I never touch work out cals until weekend and have a few drinks but I still get the odd losses and nearly at target. Good luck x
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you have lost a pound, that might seem low, but you could be a lot worse with just quitting smoking. I signed up here when I quit chewing tobacco because I was afraid of gaining even more. Stick with it, you are better off today than you were yesterday, and not near as good as you will be tomorrow!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? That will have a huge impact on weight loss. Feel free to friend me and I'll do my best to help and be supportive. :)
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    WEekends are my hard time also. Add me. I will be your friend
  • shaunpgillespie
    shaunpgillespie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i personally have a b-12 deficient so i take 2000 micro grams a day. I haven't worked out in 8 weeks now because of family issues but im still losing bout 2 pounds a week. There are people i work with that use this site and they take b-12 to help boost there metabolism and they swear it helps. Just something to think about getting checked.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Me to before i got on here I lost 6 pounds in here it comes......6 months!! I have been on here over a week and the scale says i lost a pound then i gained it then i lose it hasnt been more then that yet. But I will not give up im thinking maybe my body is fighting me on it and maybe your is to but dang it I refuse to let it win this time, We can do it.
  • cathmcgarry
    cathmcgarry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the same position as you. I haven't been perfect on my eating in the past two weeks, but I've been pretty good. I've logged in every day, and I've worked out 5-6 times each week. And, I have lost absolutely nothing!

I did increase my strength training, so I am hoping that building is muscle is the reason why the scale has not moved for me. Maybe it's the same thing for you?
  • osnapitzbri
    Options
    Keep going! you will get there!
  • jennifierce
    Options
    Quick question. Did you weigh yourself regularly prior to starting MFP? Here's why I ask.

About 18 months ago, I thought I was done being heavy. I jumped on the scale for the first time in ages. I was appalled and I immediately started exercising. After a week, I had gained another pound. After three weeks, another pound. I kept exercising and the scale kept slowly inching up. I threw my hands up.

About six months later, I found MFP. I started tracking my calories for a few days without changing the way I was eating. Turns out I was eating a MINIMUM of 3000-4000 calories a day. The reason I was not losing weight despite my exercise was that the 300-400 calories I was able to burn during exercise was only slowing down the speed of the weight gain, not causing weight loss. Since I wasn't regularly weighing myself, I didn't recognize the pattern.

The good news is that big losses are totally possible. That was a turning point for me, and by tracking and exercising, I've been losing since then. I'm fluctuating between 75-80 pounds lost in the last year. Best of luck to you!
  • jstrohs1
    jstrohs1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Well it would be nice to see your food diary on what your eating!
    You can add me as a friend and I will help in any way!
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's a lot harder to get it off than it was in my 30's. No doubt about it. The biggest thing? Don't give up. Keep at it until you find an eating plan/fitness lifestyle that works for you. Combining the mobile app plus the site features is definitely the best thing for me. The pie charts and reports from the app are extremely helpful in figuring out my weak spots while the site has its own advantages.
  • JMO44710
    JMO44710 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice - I appreciate it all!! Even the blunt advice - sometimes you need that, so you quit trying to fool yourself. I'm going to use the site in order to help me better, like looking at the tools and reports. I also like the idea of saving my exercise calories for the weekend to use for a splurge or a few drinks - If I want to.

Thanks again!!!!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Look at your sodium levels. Too much sodium will make you swell and hold onto water weight so you won't see your fat loss.
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you can quit smoking? Nothing is beyond you ... except maybe living forever. Don't forget that.