What are the best foods/workouts for ABS?!

Options
I love my legs and am starting to like my arms, but I absolutely hate my stomach! I want it to be flat and firm....what are the best foods to eat or workouts to do? I am really starting to get annoyed with it and I want to see results. My obliques start showing best (cause of INSANITY) but as far as the lower abs, I can't get it to look like what I want to see!

Help!

Replies

• HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too. I'm doing crunches now, but what else can I do.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    unfortunately thats the last to go, just keep at it :wink:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    No food in general.. Just healthy choices and patience. Unfortunately, we cannot target where our fat melts from. It's a little bit from all over with each pound we lose.

As for ab workouts: I LOVE P90X's Ab Ripper X -- Well I hate life while I'm doing it, but I love the results.
  • SammySweetheart
    Options
    Limit grain, gluten and dairy products and you will see tremendous results. Eat lots of meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables, and fruits.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    unfortunately thats the last to go, just keep at it :wink:

indeed!! fat goes where fat goes..as far as I know, there isn't a specific exercise that targets 'belly fat' :-(

as for food, id say just avoid any high fat foods...
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lots of vegetables and fruits, whole wheat pasta and lots of water :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DarkAngel09
    DarkAngel09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suggest sticking with a good cardio workout, eating healty, cutting back on unhealthy carbs and sodium. Something fun I like to do as a female is BellyDancing workouts. I'm not a fan of exercise so I like to make it fun and interesting. I took a Belly Dance class and OMG every muscle in my body ached the first day. A lot of the ladies in the class I was in had lost 60, 80 and 100 lbs just taking the class, but you will feel it.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Locky17
    Locky17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did an exercise earlier this evening working the lower abdominals. Lay flat on your back and place the legs in the air and straight. Then with your feet like a pencil keeping your legs straight write each capital letter of the alphabet. Then go on to numbers,
    It's a killer but really great. Then do leg raises, and finish with legs straight out about and inch off the floor laterally open the legs then close them crossing over and repeat till failure. Hope This helps I know I'll be feeling it in the morning
  • SammySweetheart
    Options
    High fat foods are irrelevant here. High fat is quite good for you in some cases, in fact (for example, apples with almond butter is a high fat food and it's full of nutrients and keeps you full).

The goal is to eliminate high-carbohydrate foods (other than fruits). Any kind of pasta (even wheat) has gluten in it, a compound that acts like a hormone in the body to increase cravings and store fat in the abdominal area.

Don't believe me? Look at my abs. I AM the experiment.

Sam
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Katie, they are hard to get and you'll see a lot of results before abs. Especially since they require low body fat percentage to get them showing hence a reason adding muscle helps (more muscle means you can be heavier weight, but less body fat). Oh, also while it can be tempting to think of getting good abs just from strong abs (and the obliques)...the back also plays into it (or at least it has been seeming that way to me). So stuff that works the core all around is awesome, especially when hitting larger groups of muscles. Like a set I used to do would alternate squats with pullups and once done with those sets I did deadlifts. So it worked legs, core, back...and as a large group.

Erin, I do agree Ab Ripper X is good....some of the exercises get me too. I've heard supposedly one of the ab or core workouts in TurboFire is even more targeted/intense towards the core, I really want to try that.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I love my legs and am starting to like my arms, but I absolutely hate my stomach! I want it to be flat and firm....what are the best foods to eat or workouts to do? I am really starting to get annoyed with it and I want to see results. My obliques start showing best (cause of INSANITY) but as far as the lower abs, I can't get it to look like what I want to see!

Help!
    Abs are made in the kitchen. With that being said, any food you eat at a caloric deficit will allow you to inch closer to having low enough body fat to see your abs.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too. They are right, the belly is the last thing to go! I've been doing Jillian Michaels' "6 Week Six-Pack" workout. I really do feel the muscles under there, but unfortunately they are hiding behind the baby pooch! I think changing my diet and adding more protein like people here suggested might be the key.
  • fatgavin
    Options
    Ab exercises don't get rid of belly fat but they make you feel better for doing them, a good 8 min routine is called summertime beach abs, also kicking the side of a punch bag on each side at three different levels works for me, try and do as many three min rounds as possible and when you get good you can do one min of exercises inbetween the three min rounds
  • LauraLove85
    Options
    CARDIO and LITTLE-TO-NO SUGAR! Core & ab exercises are great, but if there is a layer of belly-fat hiding those sexy muscles, then you need to run, run, run your heart out and cut out as much sugar as you can from your diet. Good luck! :smile:
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    GREAT TOPIC!! I need soooo much help with my abs. I can't make myself do them! I can't find a workout that I don't help!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Search YouTube for Floor Sweepers and Windshield wipers!! I do 30 Floor sweepers 3x per week along with sit-ups holding a medicine ball. When I flex I can just about see the start of a 4-pack. YIPPEE :happy: