Tuna

Options
I have a pretty low calorie allowance (1350) and don't want to spend a lot of it on mayo. Tried mixing tuna with plain Greek yogurt and it was okay but kinda bland. Any ideas for replacing mayo in tuna with something less caloric but will function similarly?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    add a little mustard with the greek yogurt to give it a bit of flavor. or mix a it with hummus. there is always light mayo.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    fat free mayo is okay mixed in stuff. Depends on your preference, but for the insane low cals, and the brand I buy happens to be vegan, I'm down with it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like my tuna hella spicy. Some of my variations include Dijon mustard, lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, Mrs. Renfro's green salsa, pickle relish, chili powder, cumin, celery salt, garlic salt. If you like spicy food, try a little Mrs. Renfro's, it's basically puréed jalapeño and I love it.

If you want a classic mayo like creamy yogurt using Greek yogurt or nonfat sour cream, try adding something like celery salt and lemon juice.
  • BillyP17
    BillyP17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I knew this guy who used tartar sauce....
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use a little plain Greek yogurt, some low-fat cream cheese, apple cider vinegar, and stevia. Makes it tangy/sweet. Also, I sometimes add hard boiled eggs and pickles.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mustard, every time.
    Gives it a good kick.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mustard is also good in chicken salad!
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I just gave up on the mayo and I think it's good mixed with sweet cubes and maybe a little vinegar.
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What are sweet cubes?
    Mustard for sure, sometimes extra pickle juice in addition to relish, and chili paste like sambal oelek. I also make a tofu or bean based mayo for salads like this!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mustard or spicy pickles
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Mustard or Sriracha. A mashed avocado.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Pico de gallo :) Yum.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Avocadi,onion,and celery fine chopped ..or celery seed if you are out...egg,h.b. if you are not Vegan..lime,or lemon fresh squeezed....Or salsa to change it up.I've found Most Tuna has SOY in it,which suks..except Tuna in Oil...Who'd a thunk ?..Good Luck !
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It won't save you a ton of calories, but I use ripe avacado mashed in place of may on tuna salad.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Italian or lemon salad dressing. Or a laughing cow garlic & herb cheese wedge.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I use mustard, paprika and relish.
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lite Italian or lite ranch dressings
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have used apple sauce in the past. You have to be REALLY careful with apple sauce. If you put tooooo much apple sauce, yuke!

I also put mustard and cayenne pepper (I like it spicy).

I also use the Light Mayo with Olive Oil | Avocado Oil.

Just be mindful of "serving size" with the condiments.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    love tuna and hot peppers in a wrap
  • mrswiggum
    mrswiggum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna almost every day in a salad for lunch. I use those little Starkist pouches, usually the "sweet and spicy" one, which is pretty tasty, and the whole pouch is 90 calories. They have a few different flavors.

Alternatively, if I make a little tuna salad at home, I just use a can of light tuna in water, add a little bit of lemon juice for acidity and flavor, a little hot sauce for a kick, and then some Mrs. Dash spice mix in there for some low sodium flavor (I like the Table Blend and Fiesta Lime).