Texas Toast

Options
_pi3_
_pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
"Popular in Texas and its bordering states, Texas toast is generally served toasted as a side with southern-style dishes such as chicken fried steak, fried catfish,or BBQ.Texas toast can also be used when making toasted sandwiches."

What the hell? I eat that *kitten* with lasagna

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    We eat it with baked pork chops/chicken, red beans and rice, and green beans. We also eat it when I make spaghetti, or any other dinner where I want toast. It's my 7 year old son's "Favorite Toast".
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I use it to make bacon grilled cheese sandwiches, and everything listed above
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Heck yeah. Love me some Texas Toast with lasagna, spaghetti, etc. Grilled cheese sammiches made with Texas Toast is da bomb.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We can buy "Texas toast" in supermarkets in Australia.... I just think it's white sandwich bread sliced super thick (is that right?)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    We can buy "Texas toast" in supermarkets in Australia.... I just think it's white sandwich bread sliced super thick (is that right?)

In my part of Canada "Texas Toast" is thick cut white bread covered in garlic butter (both side)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

In my part of Canada "Texas Toast" is thick cut white bread covered in garlic butter (both side)

That sounds like the free bread they would serve you at Sizzler.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    OMG the carbs!! But damn I want some French toast now.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Texas toast where I live is sold in a supermarket and its garlic bread
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @cee134 being from there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Best French Toast ever!!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    @effing_steve probably not because I hate grilled cheese lol. But I love Texas toast garlic bread. I love garlic bread in general. I could stuff my face with it everyday lol.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I am on "team challah" when it comes to making french toast...but Texas toast is definitely better with barbecue.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm!!

3hn5g5gc8xf7.jpg
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm!!

3hn5g5gc8xf7.jpg

:D

It's kind of like that chain restaurant, "Texas Roadhouse." Originated in Idaho or someplace like that.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Yummmmm!!

3hn5g5gc8xf7.jpg

:D

It's kind of like that chain restaurant, "Texas Roadhouse." Originated in Idaho or someplace like that.

well you wouldn't really expect a restaurant with a theme to originate in a place where that theme is just called "everything."
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    @effing_steve lol the kinda monster that hates grilled cheese :p
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    @effing_steve I'm just not a big fan of cheese lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm IN Texas, have lived IN Texas all my life, and have traveled over much of Texas. Other than frozen dishes in the Wal-Mart and grade school lunches, I've never actually encountered this mythical thing called "Texas" bread which can be toasted to make "Texas Toast". Even the iconic Texas brand of Mrs. Baird's is now a Mexican Senora of the Bimbo family.

A little story: Some years ago we traveled to a tiny ghost town in the panhandle of Texas for a family reunion among some branch on my wife's side. It was held in a high school gymnasium, and on the walls of the gym were photos of every graduating class of the past 100 years. In no year did they have more than 2 dozen. Anyway, the entire brood of Baird children had graduated from that school early in the 20th century, and I remembered seeing Vernon Baird in his own television commercials extolling his mommas bread. It was a bitterly sad day when the City of Dallas forced the Mrs. Baird's bakery along US-75 to close in the name of air pollution. At the time, I was driving a car with no A/C and working an early morning shift. I'd drive by the bakery while the 'pollution' was at it's most wonderfully intense with my windows down. Such real joy that was.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    "Popular in Texas and its bordering states, Texas toast is generally served toasted as a side with southern-style dishes such as chicken fried steak, fried catfish,or BBQ.Texas toast can also be used when making toasted sandwiches."

What the hell? I eat that *kitten* with lasagna

Yeah, it's called garlic bread but...Texans...