Always Hungry :-(

Options
Okay so heres my problem, i have been doing this exactly a week now (tracking my calories and exercise) the problem im having is that im ALWAYS hungry and its really hard for me to say NO and walk away from food because i am a stay at home mom and all day long is breakfast lunch dinner and snacks for the kids. Its really hard for me NOT to pick at the food when im cooking it and stuff :sad: . I sip water all day long and i went from having 6 sodas a day to 1. Also another thing is the calorie intake it tells me i can have on here seems kind of high? I look at other food diaries and it seems like everyone is eating half the food i intake. Just worries me that this is going to take me forever to lose because i loooove food so much :brokenheart:

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the types of foods you are eating? Is your diary visible to friends? If so, add me and I'd be glad to take a look :glasses:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple weeks to not feel hungry because I had been OVEReating so much.

If you stick with it you WILL feel better. If you're exercising you need to eat back your exercise calories and NET at least 1200 calories a day (not just consume 1200 minimum but NET that many).

You're retraining your brain and your stomach to know what feels full that takes time.
  • elinorhardy
    Options
    I know how you feel, when Im out the house and busy Im fine. But when Im at home I seem to be hungry all day! I make sure there is nothing in the house that I should not eat. Also making premeasured snacks the day before so I dont just grab anything. Getting out and about with the kids also to keep yourself busy! hope that helps a little?:happy:
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    try to eat more protein and fiber. Protein keeps you fuller than other nutrients and takes the body longer to digest, thus less cravings.
  • AmandaOc2011
    Options
    Hi! I used to be the same, but i started to drink 2 glasses of water before each meal and it made me feel full! Are you drinking alot of water?

If you want a snack here and there, grab some fruit, or have a glass of natural fruit juice (always does the trick for me)!
    Remember to eat every 3 or 4 hours, and make sure to always have a good breakfast it will stand to you as the day goes on!

Peace
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree that after eating too much for too long it takes a while for your body to adjust to smaller portions - it took me quite some time to stop feeling hungry.

Secondly, I have mental hunger and stomach hunger - so when I "think" I am hungry I ask myself if its in my head or in my stomach - more often than not I dont actually "feel" hungry when I force myself to acknowledge the difference. Then its just will power to stop myself from giving in to my head!
  • mercyyuen
    Options
    What is the calorie goal assigned to you? Mine is about 1500. I think that seems really low... It's hard for me to stay below it unless I'm purposely fasting 1 or 2 of the meals.

Now... to avoid hunger... You will need to find ways to occupy your mind and time. I know it's hard to be a SAHM and avoid the snacking. I don't know what exactly you fill up your time with. But if it's mainly spend preparing food... you have your work cut out for you!!! =P How about you make healthy snacks for yourself so that while the kids are eating their nuggets and pb sandwiches... you are snacking on celery and fruit and other veggies?

Lastly, if you want to eat more... just exercise more. Play tag with your kids? Walk up and down the stairs when they are napping? Do a few burpees whenever you can?

I'm also a mom... and I know it seems almost impossible to get any exercise in. But I think a little bit here and there will add up. Sometimes I dance like a maniac for 5 minutes with my daughter... I carry her heavy little body in my arms as I try to do my dance aerobics. She likes it... and I get my exercise in =) HAHA...
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi there

I know what you mean. I am not too sure what your food diary is like but i found that the more refined foods that i ate the more hungry i was which would lead me to over eat ( one of the biggest problems i have) and then my calories count woudl be gone for the day. Are you eatig lots of wholegrains and protien? Dronking water is always a good thing to do as sometimes it isn't always hunger but thirst. If you get sick of drinking water, fruit teas and green tea are good substitutes without the calories. Hope that helps a wee bit.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Also another thing is the calorie intake it tells me i can have on here seems kind of high? I look at other food diaries and it seems like everyone is eating half the food i intake. Just worries me that this is going to take me forever to lose because i loooove food so much :brokenheart:

Keep in mind that your calorie goal is determined by your current weight and your weight loss goal. Your ticker shows you have 117 pounds to lose. You're going to be eating a lot more than someone who only has 20 or 30 pounds to lose. As you start to lose weight, that number is going to go down.

I know the hunger issue is difficult. But it only takes about 2 weeks for your body to adjust to the smaller portions. My doctor told me that, and I didn't believe him at first. But, alas! He was right. LOL Just keep your eye on the prize and stick with the program. It will work for you. You can do it!! :)
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well it’s time to adjust. You shouldn’t change your calorie intake too much to lose weight, this prevents your body from entering starvation mode which will kill your chance to loose and will make it almost impossible to keep it off. Keep it slow and steady for your greatest chance at success, shoot for only 1 lbs. a week to start off then if you meet your goal every week try for 1.5. Fast weight loss it a great way to kill your normal body functions related to weight management, the result is rapid weight gain at less than normal intake amounts.

As far as foods, try to get more filling foods, Whole grains are some of the most filling (They might give you gas, but you will feel full) try making smoothies using whole fruits and vegetables and small amounts of honey or yogurt to sweeten it. I suggest staying away from soda (diet or not) because the STRONG acids and fake sweeteners throw off your body's nutrition regulators, this causes minerals and vitamins to be used improperly. If you need a pick me up, try coffee and if you NEED it to be sweet, try blackstrap molasses or honey.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when i first started. I drink protein Shakes (with skim milk) and bars, they taste good and keep me feeling full.
    I also snack on low calorie snacks like the 90 calorie fiber one brownies, and air popped pop corn ( a whole cup popped is only 25 calories!) With out all that fatty butter and salt BUT they make better option powders you can sprinkle on top! :o)
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keep sticking to it. I have only been going strong for 35 days, and I was really hungry at first. Now I only get really hungry after I work out hard. I also agree eating the right snacks. I am a stay at home mom, and my daughter and I have been snacking on popcorn alot, and fruit, but the popcorn seems to help. Not sure about how your MFP set up your daily calorie intake, but mine is 1220 a day, plus I eat most of my exersise back.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A few questions...

Do you drink at least 8 glasses of water?
    Do you crave sweets?
    Do you crave salt?

Drinking all your water (or calorie free beverages) is really important. It can help you feel full. Sometimes we think we are hungry, but we're actually just thirsty! If plain water is boring you could try diet soda, crystal lite ( I like the crystal lite pure that is sweetened with stevia because it's all natural), or seltzer water.

If you eat salty foods you will crave sugar and vice versa. That's why I asked if you crave them or if you're just generally hungry. I see you are eating some organics - that's great! Maybe check out my food diary if you think that might help you. I'm a vegetarian and eat almost all organic. If you are open to trying some of the vegetarian foods you might save some calories for other foods.

You're calories are higher than mine, but you are getting more because you must be exercising quite a bit. That's great too! Plus, I think maybe it depends on our starting weight? I hope this is helpful for you :flowerforyou:
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I try and drink a 16.9 ounce bottle of aquafina every 2 hours.

Stay away from carbs.

Eat more protein.

Get more sleep. Hard to feel hungry if you are sleeping.

I think caffeine could make you hungry also?
  • wolfey24
    wolfey24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for responding alot of good tips... to answer some questions it has me at 2000 caloires a day and i usually exercise every other day on top of chasing 2 toddlers around and having a newborn! I crave SALTY, im not a sweet tooth kind of person never was. i dont drink 8 but i try to usually get 5 glasses of water. and sleep is a issue i dont get much of it at all maybe 5 hours tops on a good night.
  • Simomofmich
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, nor have I played one on t.v. but I think 2000 is too high.
  • Simomofmich
    Options
    i would do the BMR thingy here under tools and at a minimum don't go over that. You for sure would be burning more than that because of your daily activities.
  • wolfey24
    Options
    ok
  • clayeth54
    Options
    I definitely changed my eating habits over time, before I got on here and started watching it more closely, I tried to choose healthier options... high protein, high fiber, low fat, etc. But the biggest thing, and the easiest way to start getting use to eating fewer calories, is to learn the difference between "not being hungry" and "being full". You should eat to not be hungry, eat so that your body has the nutrition it needs. If you feel "full" you have eaten too much. Eventually what you feel like throughout the day and after a meal will become normal again. It's amazing after your body adjusts when you think of how you use to eat.
  • wolfey24
    Options
    it says 2039 is my BMR... so what does that mean now