satiety foods for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My 2 fav snacks that hold me over between meals are 1) one large zucchini chopped with 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a sprinkle of nuts (savory) or 2) Siggis yogurt with blueberries and some Ezikiel flax cereal (sweet).

Try combos with a mix of fat, protein and carbs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Protein and fat for me. Carbs are like a bottomless pit for me.
    Here are my go to meals that I eat A LOT
    Breakfast: egg white, tomato, avocado, spinach on a bagel thin
    Lunch: big salad with a side of grilled chicken or pork loin
    Dinner: baked veggies with bulk chicken sausage, or bratwurst with a side of veggies

It sounds like some carbohydrates are okay for you, many people find that to be the case. It's certain carbohydrate-containing foods that don't fill them up, not the mere presence of carbohydrates themselves.

That's how it is for me. Manmade carbs is BAD for me. God made seems to work better, namely potatos. I hate rice and corn so no clue if that works.

Most of the carbohydrate-containing foods we eat are significant variations from their wild ancestors. I would consider the potato to be partially humanmade.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    taking psyllium with meals will make you feel fuller longer and help with weight loss

http://www.ergo-log.com/psyllium-boosts-chance-of-successful-weight-loss.html
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Dinner: baked veggies with bulk chicken sausage, or bratwurst with a side of veggies

It sounds like some carbohydrates are okay for you, many people find that to be the case. It's certain carbohydrate-containing foods that don't fill them up, not the mere presence of carbohydrates themselves.

That's how it is for me. Manmade carbs is BAD for me. God made seems to work better, namely potatos. I hate rice and corn so no clue if that works.

Most of the carbohydrate-containing foods we eat are significant variations from their wild ancestors. I would consider the potato to be partially humanmade.

Not really sure what a manmade vs. God made carb is. Carbs naturally occur in plant foods (and in some animal made foods like dairy), humans do not manufacture them, of course.

We process or refine some of them -- skimming milk, turning it into cheese or yogurt, refining sugar from beets or cane, of course, and refining and grinding grains. We use a lot of foods that contain carbs as ingredients to create other foods, often with the addition of ingredients that are higher in other macros, like fat and protein.

I find some higher carb foods extremely satiating for the calories (apples and carrots are among these, so as you can see, OP, people differ, as someone else thought they were extremely low satiety foods). In general I find fruit and veg, tubers (potatoes and sweet potatoes), beans and lentils, extremely satiating.

I also find many other carbs satiating WITH other ingredients that contain protein and fat (and really for me it's extremely rare to consume something high carb on its own since I eat meals, not single foods). Anyway, most meals I eat that include protein, fat, and fiber, along with starchy carbs (whatever the source of the carbs) tends to be filling. Such a starchy carb could be, say, pasta, but I would not consider the carbs in pasta (which are naturally in wheat) more "manmade" than that in the vegetables I add or as in potatoes or corn (and corn in particular is an extremely messed around with crop, although I adore local corn in season and eat a lot of it during the summer and don't find it less sating for all that).

I find I do not need the starchy carb for it to be filling (I can substitute with more vegetables or fruit, which are carbs but often lower cal), but I understand some do -- back to the individual thing again.

Anyway, OP, like others have said, experiment.

What makes the most difference for me, since my desire to eat tends to be habit driven, is not food choice at all, but timing, specifically breaking the habit of eating between meals. When I am in the habit of eating only at meals it really doesn't matter much what I do eat, I am good until my next meal and comfortable eating my planned food.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not really sure what a manmade vs. God made carb is. Carbs naturally occur in plant foods (and in some animal made foods like dairy), humans do not manufacture them, of course.

We process or refine some of them -- skimming milk, turning it into cheese or yogurt, refining sugar from beets or cane, of course, and refining and grinding grains. We use a lot of foods that contain carbs as ingredients to create other foods, often with the addition of ingredients that are higher in other macros, like fat and protein.

I find some higher carb foods extremely satiating for the calories (apples and carrots are among these, so as you can see, OP, people differ, as someone else thought they were extremely low satiety foods). In general I find fruit and veg, tubers (potatoes and sweet potatoes), beans and lentils, extremely satiating.

I also find many other carbs satiating WITH other ingredients that contain protein and fat (and really for me it's extremely rare to consume something high carb on its own since I eat meals, not single foods). Anyway, most meals I eat that include protein, fat, and fiber, along with starchy carbs (whatever the source of the carbs) tends to be filling. Such a starchy carb could be, say, pasta, but I would not consider the carbs in pasta (which are naturally in wheat) more "manmade" than that in the vegetables I add or as in potatoes or corn (and corn in particular is an extremely messed around with crop, although I adore local corn in season and eat a lot of it during the summer and don't find it less sating for all that).

I find I do not need the starchy carb for it to be filling (I can substitute with more vegetables or fruit, which are carbs but often lower cal), but I understand some do -- back to the individual thing again.

What makes the most difference for me, since my desire to eat tends to be habit driven, is not food choice at all, but timing, specifically breaking the habit of eating between meals. When I am in the habit of eating only at meals it really doesn't matter much what I do eat, I am good until my next meal and comfortable eating my planned food.

What I mean is God grown not man processed. Natural foods you have to wash before you eat.. not open a plastic container or can and nuke for easy consumption. If I want jerky, I make it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

What I mean is God grown not man processed. Natural foods you have to wash before you eat.. not open a plastic container or can and nuke for easy consumption. If I want jerky, I make it.

If you want to avoid processed foods that's cool, but the way you're setting up the dichotomy makes it sound like you believe humans had nothing to do with the way a potato looks when it comes out of the ground (or a banana or watermelon or carrot or how any kind of domesticated animal looks when they're born, and so on) and that's really untrue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think this is a vast over-simplification of food, or at least it is for me personally.

Sometimes my husband makes pasta. He enjoys the process and it sometimes takes him a couple of hours to make the dough, knead it, let it rest, roll it out, and then prepare it for storage (whatever he doesn't eat that day, he freezes in individual servings). Nutritionally is it that different than the pasta I buy in a box at the store? Probably not (his has egg, mine doesn't, but the carbohydrate content is probably really similiar).

Whether or not a food is ready for "easy consumption" is nutritionally irrelevant.

An apple is ready for immediate consumption, homemade pasta isn't. But I'd rather judge foods on their actual content and the context of my overall diet than a market like "easy consumption."

Good stuff can come in cans too.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options

An apple or potato that comes in a bag or container is no different than one without packaging. Your jerky is unlikely to be very different than jerky from a package. As for washing - I don't wash meat or nuts but they're still natural.

There are a lot of healthy foods which come in packages and/or don't require washing. Limiting yourself based on arbitrary distinctions may lead you to have deficiencies in your diet. (Dairy products are processed, come in packages and don't require washing but the nutrients in them are important. Same with meat products.)

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    These discussions go off topic all the time, really grinds my gears

The OP asked for advice and help with a specific problem, then someone answers then it turns into a 'I know better than you do' game of opinion tennis until the original gist of the thread is totally lost

Anyway, I'm one who needs bulk to be satiated so I'm adding mushrooms, cabbage, lettuce and othergreens to everything to bulk it out

If you don't want the extra calories then psyllium is a great solution, take it with water at meal time, it's proven to prolong the feeling of fullness

check out this link

http://www.ergo-log.com/psyllium-boosts-chance-of-successful-weight-loss.html
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most satiating for me is starchy carbs - preferably made by a goddess (my wife!) rather than God.

Volume and taste makes a big difference for me so high fibre also near the top of my list. As for the taste aspect - high flavour (e.g. chilli, lime, soy, balsamic vinegar etc. etc.) seems to satisfy me a lot more than bland food.
    A couple of squares of dark high cocoa chocolate goes a lot further than chocolate flavoured candy doing a poor imitation of chocolate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Apples for me. But yes, it's really individual.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Increasing fiber helped me.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Satiety is subjective. Most people report feeling more satiated after eating a lot of protein, but that may not be the case for everyone.

Try increasing the volume of food while lowering the calories. Instead of eating, say, toast, save the calories for a bag of unbuttered popcorn or some vegetables. You can also just get more foods that are difficult to blow through. Pumpkin seeds that are still shelled (eat the shells; they're not like pistachios or sunflower seeds) take longer to eat than a handful of almonds, for example.
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Options
    I discovered that an ounce of mixed nuts keep me going for hours without getting hungry or losing energy. I was carrying them with me as a snack but I often end up using them as lunch. They contain protein, fiber, and fat, and many types of nuts provide minerals and other nutrients that I'm sure I was missing before I started My fitness pal and was eating mostly junk.