Changing my perception with Phentermine and 21 Day Portion Challenge

Options
My name is Addie and I've been trying to lose weight for years.
I'm 20 years old and I was diagnosed with severe hypothyroidism and rheumatoid arthritis.
Losing weight under those conditions was very hard and now its become a necessity due to my arthritic vertebrae.
I started generic Adipex on September 21st and have since dropped 10lb. I am 5ft 7in and currently 280lb. I have weighed 280 for over 6 years, but gained weight when bedridden.
I find exercise extremely difficult between my medical issues and full time job.
I understand that the only healthy, longterm solution to weight loss and maintenance is exercise, but I don't know where to begin.
So far, Phentermine has changed my life and allowed me to realize that I can see the number on the scale get smaller. I'm more motivated than ever.
To assist in changing my diet, I am also using the 21 Day Portion Challenge. I find it easy to use and it helps me get all the food groups I need; however, I find it hard to eat enough calories a day. Hence the rapid weight loss.
Anyone experiencing the same thing? Also using Phentermine or the 21 Day Portion?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Diet is generally way more important for weight management than exercise. The drug you are taking, suppresses your appetite, but you still have to eat enough so you don't get malnourished. Well balanced meals made up of real, whole foods are more difficult to overeat than junk food. A big chunk of initial weightloss is almost always water.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As your doctor hopefully explained to you, Phentermine is only a very short term solution because it is a dangerous drug. Really, the only way to have sustained weight loss is to control how much you eat. It's wonderful that you are practicing portion control.

You've found yourself a group with an astounding amount of knowledge and experience in weight control. Take advantage of that knowledge by reading the stickies at the head of the forums. There's some really good information there.

Also, as in any group dealing with a complex topic like diet and health, you will hear a variety of opinions but, at its base, losing and gaining weight occur depending on how much you eat in relation to how active you are. You can lose weight while bedridden and gain weight while marathon running solely based on how many calories you consume everyday.

You'll find many of us (me included) are not very supportive of the use of diet pills and I am a little surprised that your physician prescribed Phentermine at such a young age. Be that as it may, you will find lots of us here to give you support and help you along, including plenty with Phentermine experience.

Best wishes to you!
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've used phentermine - it was a life saver for me. (My doctor first prescribed Qsymia and when my insurance stopped covering it she prescribed phentermine.) And, it should only be used for a few months before taking a break. I took a six month break and then gave it another three months. Both times I went off, I gained some weight back (a few weeks after I stopped using it), but have been able to maintain within a few pounds (give or take) once I got portions under control. I still have 80 pounds to lose and things are going really, really slowly, but they're going. Make sure you do get enough high quality calories. Once you aren't taking the drug, you want to have good habits to fall back on!

Good luck!