Best supplements for energy?

Options
Hi everyone. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyaglia as well as a slew of other problems unfortunately. I'm also a mom to a high needs toddler (not quite 2 but well into the terrible twos). I've lost 52 lbs since december through calorie counting and working out 1 to 3 times a week. I have 33 lbs left to go to my goal weight. I very much so want to increase the amount of workouts I do in the week and get my workout in whenever I can( like during nap time) but I am so damn tired. I'm wondering if anyone has found any supplements that help them get through the day and have the energy to work out. I'm already taking B, D, multi vitamin, and maca. Thank you!

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I take turbos, they are basically caffeine in a pill, lasts the day and I have the energy to run around after a 3 yr old and train at the gym.
    https://www.bodycore.co.nz/products/bodycore-turbo-genesis-50-tabs
    I was surprised how much difference it made, but then I don't drink caffeinated beverages. I accidentally bought the double strength initially, took it at 9am, still buzzing at 10pm... Oops.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I take turbos, they are basically caffeine in a pill, lasts the day and I have the energy to run around after a 3 yr old and train at the gym.
    https://www.bodycore.co.nz/products/bodycore-turbo-genesis-50-tabs
    I was surprised how much difference it made, but then I don't drink caffeinated beverages. I accidentally bought the double strength initially, took it at 9am, still buzzing at 10pm... Oops.

Thank you I will look into that. How long have you been taking it and have you noticed and side effects?
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options
    A couple months, no side affects, I believe they are rather natural and a more low key way to get energy.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US, you can get caffeine pills at WalMart dirt cheap.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Where is the best place to buy supplements? GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Bodybuilding.com?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are looking for... I find GNC/Vitamin Shoppe to be expensive on almost everything compared to Amazon, but some things I can get dirt cheap at the local store.
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options
    I use the internet but stick to local websites (I.e. New Zealand ones) mostly because I know they have restrictions on false marketing and what can be put into the stuff.
    Probably better to find a local place than ship from nz! But do research, watch out for peer reviews some are fake.
    Don't go for straight caffeine, you need the other things to balance it.
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    If you are in the US, you can get caffeine pills at WalMart dirt cheap.

I already drink caffeine in the form of tea usually yerba mate so dont really need caffeine. Also dont have a walmart near me. Thanks tho!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don’t know your situation, or what things you have tried in the past, so this may be irrelevant. With your background, I wonder if you might not do better with an actual prescription related to your medical issues rather than some random OTC pills.
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I don’t know your situation, or what things you have tried in the past, so this may be irrelevant. With your background, I wonder if you might not do better with an actual prescription related to your medical issues rather than some random OTC pills.

Gone to lots of drs there's nothing they can find wrong with me so other than gabba pentin for my flareups theres nothing they've been able to give me
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone that sells supplements for a living, I'll tell you that 99% of people looking for things to give them "more energy" usually just need three things:

1) More sleep
    2) Less stress
    3) Less caffeine (sometimes)

People don't like hearing that though, so I usually just suggest a good B complex (since most people benefit from them anyway) and send them on their way. Try to get a methylated one if you can.

As for the fibromyalgia, Source Naturals makes a supplement called Fibro Response that might be worth your wile to look into. It has a B complex already included in it, and it also adds magnesium malate (which has some limited studies suggesting that it can help boost energy production in people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome), GABA, and MSM, along with a few other herbs and minerals.
  • DapperDassie
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Coming from someone that sells supplements for a living, I'll tell you that 99% of people looking for things to give them "more energy" usually just need three things:

1) More sleep
    2) Less stress
    3) Less caffeine (sometimes)

People don't like hearing that though, so I usually just suggest a good B complex (since most people benefit from them anyway) and send them on their way. Try to get a methylated one if you can.

As for the fibromyalgia, Source Naturals makes a supplement called Fibro Response that might be worth your wile to look into. It has a B complex already included in it, and it also adds magnesium malate (which has some limited studies suggesting that it can help boost energy production in people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome), GABA, and MSM, along with a few other herbs and minerals.

I've had chronic fatigue since I was young (around 10 years old) and used to get 11 hours of sleep a night, relax all day during the summer, and no caffeine (didnt start caffeine until my teens) and was still exhausted all the time so not the case for me. I also have a toddler so i get as much sleep as i can with her. I'm taking a B complex and magnesium as well as malic acid and l glutamine for the fibro so more just looking for energy help at the moment
  • bigback2017
    bigback2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    B Vitamins
  • flipflop4499
    flipflop4499 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Of course SLEEP is number one to help improve energy. Chronic stress can also zap your energy overtime.

As for supplements, you can look into supplements that support the mitochondria.

Those with mitochondrial disease take a combination of supplements to support mitochondrial health. It's commonly called the "Mito Cocktail":

-Coenuzme Q10
    -L-Carnitine
    -B vitmains
    -Thiamine (B1)
    -Riboflavin (B2)
    -Antioxidants

Here is more info from a Mito Organization: http://www.mitoaction.org/blog/mito-cocktail