TOM hunger?

Options
Does anyone else experience crazy hunger whilst bleeding? What do you do to curb it?
For me, I've done really well sticking to my daily calorie allowance but now that it's that time of month, I feel extra hungry...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance for a few days?
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yup. I have to eat at maintenance a couple days leading up to my period and on my first day or I'll go into a binge if I over-restrict. I also allow myself a little extra chocolate and carbs (those are what I crave) so as to keep me from going insane. I've recently started trying to be more active on these days, too, and I have found it really helps with the cramps. The same occurs around ovulation. I've just learned to up my cals to maintenance so I don't go crazy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Same here, I eat a little higher carb than usual and just try to stay under maintenance for those couple of days. Doesn't have any major impact in the long haul and for me it's better than trying to battle through it and ending up eating everything in sight.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I often eat at maintenence for the first day of each cycle. It's not worth the obnoxious focus on food I get if I don't. I usually work in more fats/carbs than usual for my macros that day too, because I crave more of those.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Same here. I just eat what my body is telling me that's a few days leading up to my period and around ovulation too. If I don't cave in I'm even more bitchier so for the sake of myself, husband and kids I just do it. I try not to go extreme but if it happens it happens.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think you burn a tiny bit more during TOM, but I don't have studies to back it up. Eating at maintenance is fine, eating volume helps. Tea helps with bloat!
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find the week before is when I find I'm starving and eating like I have an upcoming sumo match
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Munchies is part of my PMS (along with general grumpiness) and I usually eat at maintenance for 1-2 days.
  • Hanswifey
    Hanswifey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is super helpful. I think I will just up my calories a bit during these ravenging days and then drop them back down once the crazy hunger goes away. Thanks!
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    I take some magnesium at night. Around 250mg. The chocolate and sweets cravings, my body it telling me I need some magnesium!
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hard part for me is that it always takes a few days of eating at maintenance or higher