High protein, high fiber - no meat!? is it possible?

Options
As the headline says,
is it possible to have a high protein, high fiber diet for weight-loss, without having to eat lots and lots of meat?

Do you have recommendations?
Recipes? :smile:

Any advice is welcome.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, I just don't like meat much and prefer a meatfree diet if possible (or just as little meat as possible - still love me some bacon once in a while :neutral: )

THANK YOU!!

Replies

• Khaliae
    Khaliae Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I forgot to write that eggs are a total no-go, as they do not agree with my stomach and it gets explosive xD
  • Khaliae
    Khaliae Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse Thank you, your reply helps a lot (besides the egg thing =P ) various cheeses are easy to get in my part of the world, so are veg (I know mushrooms are a good source as well?) - Tempeh is a little more difficult, but I'll investigate!

again, thank you so much :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say mushrooms are a great source. They have a little (about 4g per 100g of mushrooms). About 20g of my daily protein comes from fruit and vege. It all adds up :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, but since I've worked on increasing fiber and whatnot I'm getting a significant amount of my protein from non-meat sources now. (77 grams out of 138 are from foods other than eggs/meat today)
    Big ones for me are beans, peanut butter, pasta, certain veggies and breads.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also eat little meat, and always aim for high protein! Powders help, also choosing higher-protein grains and veggies. Nutritional yeast + romano cheese has been a killer protein/flavor combination for me on just about anything (cabbage, broccoli, pasta, potatoes, etc.)
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Here's a powerhouse for plant protein and fiber....but it doesn't do me any good cause I can't hold em down...lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    It's certainly more possible than high protein, high fiber, nothing but meat.
  • ViolaFlorence93
    Options
    pulses like lentils, peas, mung beans, edamame etc cauliflower is good too. I made a mac cheese as a treat the other day with cauliflower, pumpkin puree and edamame that plus the cheese and milk was a good protein hit and about 420 cals here's the base recipe I used https://bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1649633/cauliflower-and-macaroni-cheese Just add pumpkin puree, edamame or whatever pulse you want for extra protein.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Easy. Even easier if you'll consider seafood like tuna, salmon, shrimp, and scallops.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    https://rebeldietitian.us/plant-based-protein-charts/
    http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/34-best-plant-based-high-fiber-foods/

Eggs and greek yogurt also contain a good amount of protein. If you like them that is :smile:
  • lexmb1
    lexmb1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yep. Beans, quinoa, seitan, nuts, whole grains, lentils, nutritional yeast :-)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Sure. Another ovo-lacto veg here, 43 years worth. I ate 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of goal weight daily while losing, 100g (just over 0.8g/pound) in maintenance, and a minimum of 25g fiber (often close to 50: I like a bare minimum of 5, and ideally more than 10, servings of fruit/veg daily).

I don't much eat fake meat products, protein powders, or protein bars. There's nothing wrong with them in the abstract, I just don't find them tasty or satiating. I like regular food.

What I do eat for protein: Lots of dairy (skim milk, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other cheese), nuts, seeds, legumes of all types including soybeans (edamame, dry-roasted soybeans) and some soy products (tempeh, tofu, miso), chickpea/pea/soy pastas. I know you've ruled out eggs, but I only eat a few eggs weekly - maybe 4-6?

I also try to favor fruits and veggies with a little protein vs. those with none. In this regard, I do like mushrooms. Sure, 100g raw is only 3g protein . . . but it's also only 22 calories.

This is a great resource (below): It points to a spreadsheet that lists many foods, in order by most protein for fewest calories. If you scroll down past the meat-y/fish-y items near the top, you'll find lots of non-meat sources

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Another ovo-lacto veggie here. I'm soy intolerant and have celiac disease so a lot of the commercially available meat substitutes don't work for me, so I don't eat them that often. (There is one brand that has a "beef" crumble made from pea protein that I quite like for tacos.)

Like the other vegetarians in the thread, I get 100 grams or more of protein a day from Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sometimes eggs (but I don't eat them that often), and low or fat free cheese (which I'm a weirdo and like when it's mixed into or melted over other things). I do also quite like bean pasta (Banza) and lentils and black beans.

ETA: I also have no trouble hitting at least 25 grams of fiber a day (usually much higher) from vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and things like chia or flax seeds (I eat these often as a source of omega 3's).

I pretty much became a veggie because I don't like meat, so I get where you're coming from, OP!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I do like to eat a lot of meatless meals and try to hit at least 25-30 grams of fiber a day.

Lentils! I make at lentil/mushroom loaf that is delicious. I also make a lot of soups that contain plenty of beans and vegetables. Black bean soup is so simple (onion, jalapeno, tomato sauce, black beans, spices and water), add in a 1/2 of sweet potato and the flavor is wonderful - also full of fiber.

Be warned, if you aren't already eating a high fiber diet, proceed slowly. And drink plenty of water!

Some grains have a higher protein content then others - quiona comes to mind. I also like bulgur wheat (less protein, but more fiber than quiona), it's a great substitute for couscous.

Seitan is a good option for chili. Pretty bland in flavor, but has a chewy texture and soaks up flavor. I had a wrap made with seitan and jerk seasoning - delicious. Not a good idea if you don't eat gluten though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Not a vegetarian, but I do like to eat a lot of meatless meals and try to hit at least 25-30 grams of fiber a day.

Lentils! I make at lentil/mushroom loaf that is delicious. I also make a lot of soups that contain plenty of beans and vegetables. Black bean soup is so simple (onion, jalapeno, tomato sauce, black beans, spices and water), add in a 1/2 of sweet potato and the flavor is wonderful - also full of fiber.

Be warned, if you aren't already eating a high fiber diet, proceed slowly. And drink plenty of water!

Some grains have a higher protein content then others - quiona comes to mind. I also like bulgur wheat (less protein, but more fiber than quiona), it's a great substitute for couscous.

Seitan is a good option for chili. Pretty bland in flavor, but has a chewy texture and soaks up flavor. I had a wrap made with seitan and jerk seasoning - delicious. Not a good idea if you don't eat gluten though.

If you make your own seitan, there's no reason for it to be bland. You can add whatever seasoning you'd like to it.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fibre, obviously, is a no-brainer, high-fibre foods tend to all be vegetables. For protein, I think, most good sources ave already been named, but two of my personal favourites are "pulled oats" - that's a Finnish "innovation", which has 9g fat / 13g carbs / 17g protein per 100g - and humble green peas 0.4 / 14 / 5 (that is still 25% of calories from protein, which is more than some "protein bars"). You typically have to eat more "volume" if you want to get your proteins (or calories) from plants. You can also throw some soy protein chunks or flakes into soups, sauces, oatmeal, etc. - they don't really have a strong flavour of their own, but they are a good source of protein (1g / 39g / 50g per 100g, for the ones I have).
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    1lb brown lentils dry has 980 calories, 112g protein, and 126g fiber.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Lunch this week is black bean soup ~370 calories, 14g of fiber, 22 g of protein (plus a little more with shredded cheddar on top) for 1.5 cups. Tasty, filling, and super easy to make.
    I'm using a variation of BudgetBytes slow cooker black bean soup if you'd like the recipe.