Hello and scales.

Options
Hi, my name is Larry and I'm a newbie to My Fitness Pal. At 76 I'm a bit on the old side. I had a stroke a while back. I was originally 226 lb. and now 190. I am trying to get down to about 170. I bought My Fitness Pal Premium and Recorder to help lose weight.

I have a scale - an EatSmart ESBS-01 - which is pretty accurate but I would be interested in adding anything which improves performance. I have a MacBook Pro Retina, an iPhone 6, and an Apple Watch (1st version). I have an Ipad but I don't use it.

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi!! It sounds as if you are on the right track. Great job with the weight loss so far. The only thing that I would suggest to get would be a food scale.
    Best of luck on your journey :)
    p.s. I am 49. We are only as old as we feel!
  • lmrapp1
    lmrapp1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale, but I almost never use it and I am pretty sure it doesn't link to anything. I found out that, for example, I only have one half a Cheerios helping in the morning. Thank you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lmrapp1 wrote: »
    I have a food scale, but I almost never use it and I am pretty sure it doesn't link to anything. I found out that, for example, I only have one half a Cheerios helping in the morning. Thank you.

Using your scale to weigh all solid foods, and measuring all liquids will help you log calories in more accurately.... Eating the right amount will lead to the most success, so logging as best you can, especially as you get closer to your goal weight, is important in my opinion.
  • lmrapp1
    Options
    Ok, I think you're right. The scale has a "tare" function which makes it easier. Thank you.
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Welcome, congratulations on your weight loss so far!

I have found using a food scale very useful, too. I've really started losing weight fast since I started being an extreme stickler for logging foods accurately.

Also it has helped to focus on ensuring I'm getting enough of nutrients that I don't get enough of in my diet unless I'm really paying attention and making them a priority (for me those are fiber, protein, and potassium). In order to get those nutrients, I have to eat foods that don't leave much room for the junk food I would normally reach for. I.e., if at the end of the day I'm low on protein and calcium, I go for something like greek yogurt to try to meet those goals, and add potassium, which I'm always always way too low on. In the past I would have been reaching for whatever I was craving or in the mood for--which would invariably be something with lots of calories and no nutritional value.

I don't use any "technology" except the My fitness pal app on my phone so I can record foods before I forget. And the web site when I'm at home.

Doing those two things, plus trying to plan ahead (e.g. take a snack with me when I'm going out for several hours, so I don't end up going through a drive thru when I get hungry), has got me losing almost 2 pounds a week pretty painlessly. Even though I have stopped doing much exercise in recent months due to injuries.
  • lmrapp1
    Options
    Thank you! Unfortunately because of my stroke I don't get to pick as much as I'd like but my wife is pretty good! I think the scale will help if I use it more.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Dang Larry, for 76, you have more tech then I do !!

Welcome to MFP and Im glad you on the road to healthier years to come