I want to start lifting Weights!

Options
Hello!

So i want to start doing weights but i have no clue were to start,

Any tips would be greatly appreciated ,Do i need to go to the Gym can i do it at home withe the right equipment where is a good place to get a workout plan from.

Thank You

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It all begins with goals. Weight training is pretty specific to what you want to accomplish, and how often you want to work out.

A decent home gym is totally fine if you are not a gym person. I have both so I have less excuses not to workout.
    Mine is pretty basic containing an elliptical, bench, and plenty of free weights. I also have trinkets like exercise ball, ab rollers, yoga mats, chin-up bar, but those tend to get very little use.

You can even begin with a body weight program requiring no additional equip. I find this is a good way to build good habits and gain some education without hurting the pocketbook. There is always time to treat yourself to some equipment once you get into the swing of things, in particular to address something that is lacking.

good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends on what you want to start with, equipment and what your goals are. Starting with something structured and predesigned/proven already will provide the best results. There are books, such as StrongCurves, that have a variety of program, so it may be worth pick something like that up, so you can start with bodyweight and move onto barbell.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was get a personal trainer. He cost alot but it got me in the groove and got me doing workouts that I wouldn't normally have thought of.

Once I was comfortable, I stopped using a trainer.

If you know someone who's gym savy, ask to tag along.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I followed New Rules of Lifting for Women and found it doable and gave me real success, but it required access to a full gym which I no longer have...
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym, so that I always have access to whatever equipment I might need. I also don't want to dedicate the space to it in my home.

I highly recommend looking at Nia Shanks' programs. Simple, straightforward, and effective. I have done many other programs, but I always return to something out of her Beautiful Badass book of programs. I forget what I paid for it 3-4 years ago, but it was well worth it!
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training with a trainer because I wasn't sure where to start myself and I obviously didn't want to hurt myself. I have to say I absolutely love it!! I was extremely sore, especially after leg day ( those memes we see are all 100% true, could barely sit to tinkle ). I've lost inches and gained muscle ....best of luck to you!!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I joined a group of women. We have a trainer/boxing coach and do 1hr lifting and conditioning followed by an hour of boxing three nights a week. It's been great for me. I really needed a trainer to teach me proper form after some past injuries