Really need to eat better...

Options
I have a hard time eating healthy. Does anyone have any good healthy snack, lunches or dinner recipe's? Feel free to add yourself as a friend..

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you consider unhealthy about the way you're eating now? When you envision a healthy diet, what do you picture?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Taste is subjective, so what I may like you may hate. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have always been a firm believer in starting with what you have and already do, and implement tweaks that fit your preferences, schedule and lifestyle, instead of completely replace everything, regardless if it's working or not.

First, what is wrong with your current diet? What is your idea of healthy eating? What stops you from eating healthily?

When you have that in place, you know what to look for, what to adjust, what to expect. Then you can look for recipes. Google or ask specifically - with name of meal you want and/or ingredient(s) you like.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What do you consider unhealthy about the way you're eating now? When you envision a healthy diet, what do you picture?

These are important questions. Also, are you trying to lose weight and eat healthier, or maintain your weight but eat more healthy foods? Do you like to cook, or do you prefer most of the suggestions be something that requires little/no cooking?
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it depends on what you're defining as healthy and what your dietary goals are. I am working on healthier options as well though. It isn't always easy! I've found two big factors help: keeping it fun and keeping similar flavors to what I like. Eating healthy isn't about salads 24/7.

Greek yogurt is a lifeline in our house. I use it for a lot of things including a sour cream replacement, as a way to give a creamy taste to pasta sauce. It's also great for breakfast or for those sweet cravings. I'll add some cocoa nibs and cocoa powder...maybe a banana if I am feeling extra "glutinous." There are a ton of recipes with Greek yogurt you can find.

A go to for dinner is a yam bar. I'll bake yams and set out a variety of options cut into small pieces, including broccoli, cauliflower, sliced olives, quinoa, cheese and beans. Everyone can customize it based off what they like, it's filling, and can be packed with nutrients and fits well within my calorie allotments assuming you don't add sugar/bacon/ranch and things like that.

Hopefully this helps a little with ideas. Again, these ideas work for my current lifestyle. It may not work for yours as everyone is a little bit different. :smile:
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey chick. I cant seem to post on your wall or comment. Maybe change your settings :-) thanks for the add.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I plan a healthy meal I don't consider one food or another but try and compose a meal with many parts. There will be veggies, a protein and a carb. It's the proportions that matter to me.

I very often plan my main meal around my chosen protein, vary my veggies depending what is in season, and rotate my carb choices.

What is in your fridge right now?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Is your idea of "healthy" foods too restrictive? Is that what is making it hard for you?
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't plan a drastic change all at once. You could start with portion control and tracking everything you eat. Just doing this gives me much better long term results than suddenly not eating all the things I'm used to. If I want chips, I eat chips - but I weigh out a serving and log it and put the bag away so I don't eat the whole bag.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating healthy. Does anyone have any good healthy snack, lunches or dinner recipe's? Feel free to add yourself as a friend..

You asked about recipes. That actually depends on what kind of food you prefer to eat. I make meals in batches. I will cook a soup pot of lentils (they have 18 grams of protein in one cup), let them simmer until soft, and eat with stir fry veggies, whatever I have around -- tomatoes, carrots, spinach or other greens. I like McCormick's Perfect Pinch seasonings (the Mexican is my favorite).

I have some trigger foods that I cut out (many people on MFP say not to cut out foods but to learn moderation -- more power to them. I'm not good with moderation with certain foods). Those foods were heavy in fat and sugar. However, I added more fruit for the sugar and fats like almonds, walnuts, and avocado for the taste and because fats are essential in our diets -- these foods also add taste. For example, I eat a lot of oatmeal with apple and almonds, or throw avocado in my salads.

Good luck. It's good to assess your food and see if you can increase the nutrition.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    First I would ask. How long have you been on myfitnesspal and how long have you been consistently and honestly logging you food. Portioning out and measuring/weighing your food. If you are doing this you should be able to fit what you want in your day.
    Focus on that for a while.And maybe drinking more water.

But you see that the some of the choices that you are making are hindering your progress, you will begin to look for healthier options. Like I'd much rather spend 400 calories on some thing that would keep me fuller longer then 1 bag of chips, that will only leaving me not satisfied.

Healthy snacks are different to everyone. Some are just looking for less calorie items, some are looking for snack items that are nutrient rich .

But favorite snack items are:
    yogurt with a bit of granola
    banana or apple with 1 tbsp of peanut butter
    2 boiled eggs
    1 serving whole grain crackers and tuna or cheese
    1/2 avocado with 1 egg
    cucumber& carrots

Some other things to think about: If you have a pinterest search healthy snacks , use the community forums on here: "food and nutrition" "recipes" . Also use the recipe builder to properly know how many serving in you dinner if its like a casserole or something.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about eating less than your body burns. For me I use the moderation approach. If I want pizza, I have 2 slices or workout extra hard to have a 3rd. If I want ice cream, I log it and make it fit my calories for the day/week. My food diary is open so feel free to take a look. There are also great websites with low calorie recipes you can look for. Without knowing your food preferences it's hard to give you suggestions.
  • fannydavis21
    fannydavis21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I also live with my boyfriend of 11 years who will not eat healthy because he feels he doesn't need to. I want to find a few easy dinner recipe's that are healthy and he will enjoy also. Please if you have not added me as a friend please do. The more people I have to talk to the better I feel. So I don't feel I'm doing this alone...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you have to do is define what "healthy" means to you. That should make it a lot easier to decide what you actually should eat.
  • fannydavis21
    fannydavis21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, fruit and I'm a big chicken eater. I'm trying to drink as much water as possible...
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I get most of my recipes from budget bytes, because in addition to trying to lose weight, I'm broke. lol.
    My fiance and I particularly like the Oven Roasted Ratatouille and Smoky White Bean Shakshuka. Pretty much any cooking can be made healthy, though - bake instead of fry, bulk up vegetables instead of starches, etc.