Eating when not hungry? (breakfast specifically)

Options
carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
In the mornings I am not hungry at all.
I am usually not hungry until 1 or 2 o clock
My mother told me (yes, i know) that I should definitely eat breakfast every day of my life.

I find that I do get craving for bad foods at night time.
My mother says that if I eat breakfast these cravings will probably go away

But I'm thinking "why eat if i'm not hungry?"

is my mother right? and i know she probably is...
lol

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i dont eat in the morning until i am hungry. i honestly do not think it makes a huge difference unless you do something in the morning like work or class... I don't do literally anything in the morning, so i just lay around watching tv, so it's like im still basically sleeping, then when I get hungry (usually 2 hours later, i eat)...

BUT-- if you are a person with a life haha (unlike me during the summer) and you have stuff to do in the AM, you should probably eat a little tiny something. I didn't like eating during the school year, so I would grab a pop in the monring (i know it's not good for me, but it gave me calories for the morning). You body needs calories because calories are energy. If you don't wanna EAT something. Grab some juice or something with a little bit of calories before you head to work or school or where ever! =] !
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm similar in the morning, but I get hungry a little bit earlier (like 9:00 or 10:00 - after I've been up since 5:30 LOL). I do usually eat breakfast though, nothing big, oatmeal, toast w/peanut butter, fruit...all with a cup or two of coffee. On the weekends I might eat cereal or a "big" breakfast.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry in the morning, but I always eat breakfast and then have a late lunch. I feel odd and bloated during lunch if i dont eat anything until then.
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've always heard people say to eat something small (like a granola bar) because it jump starts your metabolism and helps you burn more calories throughout the day.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've had this same problem for years I never ate breakfast, but I too found when I did I tended to eat a lot more in the PM and before I went to bed. by just eating a bowl of cereal or a bagel with hummus when I get up I've been able to cut down on the nightly snacking quite easily.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. it is usually 1 or 2 before I get hungry. I have found that on days that I 'force' myself to eat breakfast that I am hungrier all around all day long. I know that it is supposed to be best because it jump starts your metabolism in the morning but I really have to struggle to choke something down if it's too early.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way, but i started to eat anyways, and now i pretty much wake up with my stomach grumbling every morning. i know it's probably cheating, but i still hate chewing first thing in the morning - so i started drinking slimfast instead. i'm sure it's different for everyone, but i noticed a huge up in my metabolism. but, to each their own, right? best of luck to you!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    i'm usually starving in the morning when i wake up and its because i eat dinner alot earlier now. Try not eating anything after dinner or late at night and then you will probably have an appetite for breakfast.
  • shellyxxxxx
    Options
    i never can eat in the morning x x x
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I'm too tired to eat first thing :-s
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry until about 9 or 10 so I eat at 9 or 10.
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    i dont eat in the morning until i am hungry. i honestly do not think it makes a huge difference unless you do something in the morning like work or class... I don't do literally anything in the morning, so i just lay around watching tv, so it's like im still basically sleeping, then when I get hungry (usually 2 hours later, i eat)...

BUT-- if you are a person with a life haha (unlike me during the summer) and you have stuff to do in the AM, you should probably eat a little tiny something. I didn't like eating during the school year, so I would grab a pop in the monring (i know it's not good for me, but it gave me calories for the morning). You body needs calories because calories are energy. If you don't wanna EAT something. Grab some juice or something with a little bit of calories before you head to work or school or where ever! =] !

Brilliant advice, I agree :-)
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    You should eat something in the morning, not because of weight loss, but if you work or study you'll be more productive! Eating in the morning is essencial to the brain, for better concentration and problem solving capacity during the day. After all you're about 8 hours without any food, you should eat something light and healhty at least! not everything should be about weight loss!!!