Knee injuries and how to workout

Options
Okay so I'm gonna start off by saying I AM NOT an active person. Both of my knees are double jointed and my right knee has no acl. So with that being said what are some good exersices I can do that will help my lower body gain some strength back?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bumping because I messed up my knee recently and am struggling to find a work out that doesn't aggravate it.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    I've currently got a knee injury. Anytime I put weight on it, like walking, it gives me pain. However I can ride my bike gently on the flat and it seems okay. So this is one suggestion if it helps. Good luck!
  • aeloine
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    I've currently got a knee injury. Anytime I put weight on it, like walking, it gives me pain. However I can ride my bike gently on the flat and it seems okay. So this is one suggestion if it helps. Good luck!

Is bending okay, though? Bikes have been bugging due to repetitive motion.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont know about the double jointed part, but for several years i did all the lower body stuff, like squats, deadlifts, leg press, bridges, etc without an ACL and i got real strong, I even competed in several powerlifting meets without my ACL.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 knee injuries that responded well to stationary biking. And one that caused excruciating pain. One size does not fit all. I worked closely with a physical therapist to find the right exercises each time. Twinkles is onto something, with strengthening the muscles around the knee, but again, it depends on what your injuries are and where you are starting. Take the time to see a professional.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    wolfruhn wrote: »

Is bending okay, though? Bikes have been bugging due to repetitive motion.

I'm only saying what worked for me. Please see the disclaimer by previous poster.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bumping because I messed up my knee recently and am struggling to find a work out that doesn't aggravate it.
    @aeloine
    Messed up means what precisely because knees are very, very complex joints?

I've had major bone, ligament and cartilage knee injuries - they all have different impacts on my capabilities and different rehab / injury management needs.
    I've also had minor cartilage, ligament injuries and fat pad impingement.

It's why you need a proper diagnosis before deciding on treatment or exercise.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Water exercise is low impact, high resistance. Deep water exercise is no impact, high resistance. Most of the strengthening exercises I have done with folks in physical rehab only require a pool noodle or stretch band.
  • aeloine
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @aeloine
    Messed up means what precisely because knees are very, very complex joints?

I've had major bone, ligament and cartilage knee injuries - they all have different impacts on my capabilities and different rehab / injury management needs.
    I've also had minor cartilage, ligament and bursa injuries.

It's why you need a proper diagnosis before deciding on treatment or exercise.

I know, I know. I was just browsing through previous posts and hoping to find existing answers. Should probably have made my own post.

I've been to the doctor and have been diagnosed with a severe ligament sprain. My dumb butt literally tripped and fell coming out of an elevator while carrying groceries three weeks ago. I've had massage, acupuncture, some PT, and even cupping done. It's mostly fine now when walking, but it starts to bug if I lift too heavy (including lat pull downs, rows, and overhead work) and running is really out of the question.

I've been told to rest, ice, and wait, but I've been going stir crazy.

Just looking for low impact ways to keep working my body while I'm healing. I was seriously surprised about how many motions use the knee. It's like that time I broke my collar bone... who knew that laying down involved your shoulders?? :wink:
  • sijomial
    Options
    It again depends on which ligament - I've lost a PCL completely, that's very different to an ACL injury, and very different to my lax medial and lateral ligaments in the other knee......
    It can be as specific as swimming is OK but don't do breast stroke kick, that's why using other people's experience with different injuries could be harmful to you.

Listen to your medical team, you really don't want to turn a sprain into a complete rupture, mine wasn't repairable.
    Yes you should try and keep the muscles strong while you heal but get those exercises from a professional.
    In my experience a good sports Physio was by far the best source for rehab advice.
  • aeloine
    Options
    It again depends on which ligament - I've lost a PCL completely, that's very different to an ACL injury, and very different to my lax medial and lateral ligaments in the other knee......
    It can be as specific as swimming is OK but don't do breast stroke kick, that's why using other people's experience with different injuries could be harmful to you.

Listen to your medical team, you really don't want to turn a sprain into a complete rupture, mine wasn't repairable.
    Yes you should try and keep the muscles strong while you heal but get those exercises from a professional.
    In my experience a good sports Physio was by far the best source for rehab advice.

Thanks a ton. I've been feeling like a petulant child who has been told "no" one too many times. Just a very frustrating experience.
  • sijomial
    Options

Thanks a ton. I've been feeling like a petulant child who has been told "no" one too many times. Just a very frustrating experience.

It sure is. I'm not a patient patient either - discharged myself from hospital, ripped out my stitches by pushing too hard/too soon, sacked my surgeon. I must have been a complete nightmare for my medics...

BTW - my prognosis was a total knee replacement by age 50.
    Seven years later than that I'm fitter than ever and exercising more than ever still with my wonky knee free of metalwork.

Try to think long term as this episode will pass.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    twinkles4 wrote: »
    *****Disclaimer: always follow the advice of your medical professional when it comes to injury and exercise and not randos on the internet.*****

Did you read the disclaimer? Yes? Good. ;):p

Strengthening the muscles that support your knees may help a lot.
    http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/injury-knee-pain-16/slideshow-knee-exercises

I have runners knee in both and I have found what helps for me is below:

1. Foam rolling (http://sportskneetherapy.com/the-5-best-foam-roller-exercises-for-a-stronger-knee-recovery/)
    2. Icing after exercise
    3. Wearing a open patella knee brace during activity or repetitive motions.
    4. anti-inflammatory medication.

For the OP, please don't put some random brace on your knee. You don't have runner's knee and the above would not be appropriate treatment.

Please see a physical therapist to get you started on an exercise program that would be appropriate for you. Here are a couple articles that discuss exercise considerations for hypermobile joints. No ACL is a complicating factor as well as being sedentary.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556301-the-best-worst-activities-for-hypermobile-joints/

https://www.theptdc.com/2013/10/why-you-must-not-stretch-hypermobile-clients/

Best of luck.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I've damaged my MCL on one knee and torn my meniscus on the other. When I first got back into working out I started with physical therapy. They gave me some recommendations to strengthen the surrounding muscles and stabilize the joint area before adding anything else.

Now I'm pretty active and 7 years post MCL damage and 1year post rehabbing for the meniscus tear. I do lift, box, and have taken up jogging.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have chondromalacia patella, patella tracking problem and advanced osteoarthritis. Had two surgeries 11 months apart and as bad as I've ever been (if not worse). My doctor says he has not seen knees like this on anyone under 85 - so I can understand the frustration! I've had to find which lower body exercises I can do (for me this is straight leg deadlifts, partial leg press, hamstring curls). Ironically I have more strength and muscle in my legs now than I did before the knee problems (only because I am focusing more on them now in a methodical way). As others said, this is something you need to speak with a doctor/physio about.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What does your PT say?

As above, See your doctor first, but the best thing you can do to support your knees is strengthening your quads and glutes, and mobilizing your hips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Get an assessment before doing any exercise. An orthopedist is your best bet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

This is really good advice about swimming. I have no acl in my right knee and I can put my knee right out by swimming if I'm not careful. Swimming is actually one of the more dangerous things I can do, since my knee is pretty stable when it's loaded but tends to go out when relaxed. I can deadlift and squat, no problems, but then put my knee out while swinging my feet out of bed in the morning! So having a pro look at your specific injury is worth ten times the advice of people on the internet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm gonna start off by saying I AM NOT an active person. Both of my knees are double jointed and my right knee has no acl. So with that being said what are some good exersices I can do that will help my lower body gain some strength back?

Ask your doctor or physio