Binge-eating Disorder

Options
I'm still rather new on this app, still figuring it out, but I wanted some friends that are or have been in a similar place.

When I was 15, I was "super obese" (higher BMI than morbidly obese). I couldn't stand for lengthened periods, walking between classes at a swift pace to make the bell had me huffing and puffing, the thought of walking a mile was terrifying. I remember stealing money from my mom's purse to buy candy when she refused to buy me some. I used all my allowance on foods and sugary drinks. I was diagnosed with compulsive overeating disorder (now known as binge eating disorder), and have food addiction (however, this wasn't really recognized back then).

Therapy, dietitians, doctors, cleaning up what I ate and exercising, relapses, weight yo-yoed, pregnancies, years passed: I'm over a hundred pounds lighter, healthier and all in all in a better place. Still, I have about 40 more pounds to lose to be "healthy".

I'm writing this all out because I know the struggles. I still struggle with food everyday. It gets easier to control, but it's never gets "easy". If you need support or motivation, or can offer some as well, post here and let's add each other and help each other!!

Replies

• yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and admitting to this, glad for your success I've struggled with binge eating as an adult for multiple emotional reasons which led to me being over weight by 77 lbs at times it was at least 100 lbs but I've lost lbs off and own and still struggling to get the 77 lbs off without relying on food for more than what it is. I'd like to support your endeavors as well as be encouraged. So I will add you as a friend.
  • Piperx222
    Piperx222 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Add in an autoimmune disease into your description and I could have written it myself :smile:

I too am learning to fight against and manage my binge eating. At my heaviest I was 274 on a 5'2 frame and was up and down for the last 10 years. At one point I lost about 100 lbs and then ended up finding my way back to 244. That is when I started again and eventually got to my goal of 140 only to sabotage myself over the summer and have been gaining and losing since then.

Having people who understand what it's like to have this compulsion and that it's REAL, is very helpful.

I'll send you a request :smile:
  • xionax
    xionax Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't been diagnosed for BED however I've had councelling for my relationship with food (similar to bed).
    I'm a newbie to this (so I'll try and add you if I work it out lol :smile: )
    Feel free to add me. Xx
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The book "Brain Over Binge" by Kathryn Hansen explained why I do it and is helping me greatly to stop the binge cycle.
    It is the first time I truly understand why I couldn't control it and has given me the power to stop.
    I am 51 years old and have finally stopped this thing that controlled my thoughts and actions for 35 years.
    Maybe she can help someone else.
  • tinabean1313
    tinabean1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand the struggle you've been through and commend you for your bravery. It is a difficult topic to discuss as so many people have a hard time understanding food disorders. I have struggled with disordered eating since I was seven years old. It has been 25 years and I still struggle. The important thing is to never give up, so no matter what happens I never stop trying. Congratulations on your progress!
  • kelxx
    kelxx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm still rather new on this app, still figuring it out, but I wanted some friends that are or have been in a similar place.

When I was 15, I was "super obese" (higher BMI than morbidly obese). I couldn't stand for lengthened periods, walking between classes at a swift pace to make the bell had me huffing and puffing, the thought of walking a mile was terrifying. I remember stealing money from my mom's purse to buy candy when she refused to buy me some. I used all my allowance on foods and sugary drinks. I was diagnosed with compulsive overeating disorder (now known as binge eating disorder), and have food addiction (however, this wasn't really recognized back then).

Therapy, dietitians, doctors, cleaning up what I ate and exercising, relapses, weight yo-yoed, pregnancies, years passed: I'm over a hundred pounds lighter, healthier and all in all in a better place. Still, I have about 40 more pounds to lose to be "healthy".

I'm writing this all out because I know the struggles. I still struggle with food everyday. It gets easier to control, but it's never gets "easy". If you need support or motivation, or can offer some as well, post here and let's add each other and help each other!!

Hi your story is similar to mine ,have struggled with food since being a teen ,bingeing has been a big problem,addicted to sugar and emotional eating. I have been on my weight loss journey/rollercoaster for many years -at my highest 281lbs at my lowest 184lbs. At present 199lbs with 38lbs to lose.
    Just started with my fitness pal again. If I can give support or motivation I would like to help if I can
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had BED, I have since overcame through counseling but it’s still a struggle sometimes. I’ve lost 52 pounds and want to lose another 30. While I was never as heavy as you, which definitely makes things even harder, what you wrote struck a chord and I know the feelings. You have done an awesome job, 100 pounds is incredible.
    Feel free to add me!