Deli Meat vs. Packaged Lunch Meat

Options
agleckle
agleckle Posts: 235 Member
This might be a stupid question...

Anyways. I know that getting frozen chicken breasts, etc. and cooking those is way better for you in sodium, etc. than a slice of meat from a package of processed lunch meat... but I want to be able to have some slices of lean meat around for a quick bite of protein when I am starting to get a bit hungry.

So here is my question: Is the meat that you get from the deli counter better for you than a package of lunch meat? Or is it still all processed and have more sodium than other lean meats? Does it depend on what kind of meat you get?

Any insight would be great... Thanks!

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too!!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the brand you buy, though I'm pretty sure all lunch meat is in some way processed. I try and buy lunch meat that says it's minimally processed/no nitrites, there are also low sodium kinds (but i've only seen them at the counter). I recommend dietz and watson honey baked turkey/ham- it's SO good!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Well, I get Boar's head low sodium or no-salt added roast beef from the deli counter. I can't find any meats that low in sodium in the pre-packaged stuff. :)
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    They are about the same in being processed meats. Some of both of them are touted as lower sodium and low fat. If you absolutely want to eat them, go for the lower sodium or no or low fat. I love lunchmeat but I've pretty much given up even the lower salt ones. They still have lots of salt. Processed meats in general are full of junk--mostly highly salted and preservatives.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Meat and deli shops still get most of their meat from the same sources as pre packaged meat. Most of the animals are corn fed, the only difference may be sodium content because it's a good preservative.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    They are about the same in being processed meats. Some of both of them are touted as lower sodium and low fat. If you absolutely want to eat them, go for the lower sodium or no or low fat. I love lunchmeat but I've pretty much given up even the lower salt ones. They still have lots of salt. Processed meats in general are full of junk--mostly highly salted and preservatives.

The Boar's head certainly do NOT still have lots of salt. The low sodium is 80 mg. of sodium per serving, and the no salt added has 40 mg. per serving. That's less than what is in a glass of milk.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I was debating between having leftover pizza, or a turkey sandwich. Plugged them both in the food diary, and the leftover pepperoni DiGiorno pizza had more protein and less sodium and about the same calories as a turkey sandwich on oatnut bread. That's just crazy. I never realized how much sodium was in that stuff. :noway:
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like peppered tofurky slices :laugh:
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Boars Head reduced sodium turkey is super good and low in sodium and calories
  • jily310
    Options
    Boars Head reduced sodium turkey is
  • jily310
    Options
    Boars Head reduced sodium turkey is super good and low in sodium and calories
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but that stuff is just plain toxic. My mother likes to make herself sandwiches with meat, but she never eats the deli slices. What she does is buys a small chicken or turkey and cooks it at home herself on a weekend when she has time. Then she slices it up super thin and in small pieces and uses it through the week for sandwiches. That way she has control over how much seasoning and stuff goes into it and doesn't have to worry about eating frankenmeat.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I get the Kroger private selection lower sodium honey ham and turkey.. I don't care for the prepackaged stuff since it almost always goes slimy too quick (I dont have good luck with them AT ALL)
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Be careful in assuming frozen chicken breasts are better. Most frozen ones are injected with a salt solution. Fresh chicken is typically better (even if you freeze it). It is another great example of the importance of reading the labels.

I use the Boar's head also. It's definitely a cut above most other brands, even for taste.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love my deli meats-and my work schedule necessitates bringing sandwiches for meals. I have no refrigeration or microwave. Leftovers are good, but with 5 kids there usually aren't any!! So I go for the Boar's Head low sodium chicken breast. It's really good, low calorie and with protien. Add some lettuce and tomato and you have a full meal! It's not cheap ($9.99/lb) but it means not going out to eat and spending calories (and money) I shouldn't. The prepackaged ones (and I used to eat them all the time) are not the same quality (they just don't taste as good) and they seem really salty now. I guess it is what you are used to!

Good luck!
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    FYI even the frozen chicken breast have sodium in them, they inject them before freezing. It's important to still read the labels.
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    I second that emotion, since it's what I said in my post!! hehe :wink:

Sorry this was in response to kkellam above
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches often and so does my boyfriend, so we buy a lot of lunch meat. I always go low sodium and some great brands are: Dietz & Watson, healthy ones, applewood farms, and boar's head. Giant eagle also has a low sodium turkey breast lunch meat. I don't ever do pre-packaged lunch meat because there always seems to be more preservatives and sodium.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    FYI even the frozen chicken breast have sodium in them, they inject them before freezing. It's important to still read the labels.

Yeah, I do watch the frozen chicken breasts... the ones I use still have some sodium but they have significantly less sodium in them than all the sandwich meats. I know it will be impossible to get 0 sodium but I am trying to implement small changes here and there so reduce my sodium levels in a way that will become a sticking habit rather than happen so quickly and drastic that I don't maintain it.... and my lunch meat is the start.